I'm stressing more than my lad..

barkinghorse

Visit site
William has been on complete box rest for 12 days now and can't even go for a walk round the yard. He is going up to the vets on tuesday for scans and xrays so will have been in for 18 days at that point!
I'm soo stressed for him, as he sees all his friends going out to the field and he has to stay in. Bless the people on the yard as they are taking it in turn to leave their horses in so he has at least one mate in to look at.
I have bought him every conceivable toy (even a radio for him) to play with but am worried about his guts, as am a great believer in horses moving around, so dinner is almost pig slop!!!
crazy.gif

He has been very good so can't complain, he just gets a bit more bolshy as the days go on and I have taken time out to be with him more (about 5 hrs a day) just cleaning tack and sorting out my back room and over brushing him.
I am such a stress head at the moment, am i over reacting? or should i not even need to ask that question...............
blush.gif
blush.gif

Jo

mrgoop

Visit site
Poor you. My dear boy obliterated a tendon and ended up having about 9 months box rest, he coped remarkably well, but when they said he was ok to go for 10 minutes walk in hand a day it was like holding a hot air balloon down. The best bit was when he progressed to 20 mins ridden work a day, walk in straight lines only... ha ha, try telling him that. He seemed to think making it playtime was a much better option!! Laugh a minute. Anyway back to the subject, Mine coped remarkably well and only actually started to show very slight signs of being fed up in the last couple of weeks. So i'm sure your lad will be fine. Big pat from me. And i hope all goes well for him with his tests.

Louby

Visit site
Hi Jo,
Im really sorry to hear about William, what has he done? I must have missed your earlier post.
Fingers crossed you get good results on Tuesday. Let us know how you go on and no you are not over reacting, I would be exactly the same.
Louise

Jemayni

Visit site
I wouldn't say you were over reacting, you just love your pony. Don't worry about him so much, 18 days is really nothing (mine has been on box rest pretty much since June.) I also wouldn't spend 5 hours a day with him, not only will this use up your entire life, I know my horse gets annoyed if I'm in his space too much. I wouldn't worry about his guts or his health; your vet has recommended box-rest as it appears to be the best plan of attack! The only thing I suggest is get him a salt/mineral lick as they seem to really crave them as a result of not grazing.

Bess

Visit site
My horse had to be box rested for about six weeks earlier this year after getting a really nasty cut into his coronary band. He was not allowed any turnout or walking out for about 4 weeks and became very stressed; not surprising,(he'd been out 24/7 for a year) runny poos and very nervous behaviour.

I got him some Coligone and he was much better. Less stressed and just more relaxed about being stabled and better behaved when walking out.

barkinghorse

Visit site
Hi Louise,
To be honest I didn't post anything because it looked like an abcess to start with.
Now we think he my have fractured his pedal bone.
If he stays over at Simons, i'll let you know and maybe if you're down we can say hello or you can give him a carrot for me!!!
Jo xx

filly190

Visit site
It sounds like you are doing your very best for him and well done to your yard mates for mucking in.

No one wants to see their horse unhappy, I cant see what else you can do for him. If its long term, some horses like a goat to keep them company or a little mini who can potter round the yard to keep him amused.

Good luck

Sparklet

Visit site
Hi - among the many toys you have bought to keep him occupied you may already have one, but just in case you havent I find those decahexegon (sp) things with a hole in them great for eating up the borning hours. Chop carrots, swedes, parsnips up and pop them inside - kept mine occupied for hours.

Louby

Visit site
Hi Jo,
I certainly will, be lovely to meet you. Had a trauma myself today just got back from Leahurst.
Really hope hes ok
Louise