I'm trying to stay positive...

MissGee

Visit site
So last Wednesday I brought all the horses in from our field... no Princess GeeGee (real name Shearwater Super G) :eek:

She was half way down the field, absolutely hopping lame. Managed to get her in and examined her, her tendon was as thick as... :mad:

Anyway to cut a long story short, after a week of ice, bandaging and box rest, yesterday I had it scanned. Vet said significant damage to Superficial Flexor Tendon :(

So box rest for the forseeable and continue doing as I'm doing... she'll be 22 in March so vet is saying outcome is 50/50.

Please send her positive vibes!!

Also, does anyone have any good tips for keeping her calm whilst on box rest?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So last Wednesday I brought all the horses in from our field... no Princess GeeGee (real name Shearwater Super G) :eek:

She was half way down the field, absolutely hopping lame. Managed to get her in and examined her, her tendon was as thick as... :mad:
t
Anyway to cut a long story short, after a week of ice, bandaging and box rest, yesterday I had it scanned. Vet said significant damage to Superficial Flexor Tendon :(

So box rest for the forseeable and continue doing as I'm doing... she'll be 22 in March so vet is saying outcome is 50/50.

Please send her positive vibes!!

Also, does anyone have any good tips for keeping her calm whilst on box rest?

this is why this site was created past and present help from H&H members
http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/horses-on-box-rest.html

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Sorry to hear your news.

Was she in work regularly or at that age, is she semi or retired as that would make a huge difference to me to how I would treat it?

There were a lot of studies done a bit ago which showed that gentle exercise (pootling about steadily) after the initial treatment was one of the best ways to recovery for tendon issues and TBH, box rest at her age is not going to do her any great favours with the chance that she will stiffen up so causing more problems for her. I'd worry more for her mental and physical health during rehab than worry about getting her back into work TBH but then I'm a bit of a fatalist in what will be will be.
For box rest I would say company (I used to alternate each day so nobody felt they had drawn a very short straw!), ad lib hay/haylage and a decent bed which supports her are the main priorities; you don't want long straw which can make it hard for her to move; I also wouldn't feed anything more than is necessary to take any medication if she is on full box rest (not able to move out of the box at all) as you don't want her pratting about and undoing any good you might have done; when you are ready to turn out I'd graze in hand on a small patch before letting go in the big field again where she can pick up speed and possibly cause more damage to herself.

MissGee

Visit site
Sorry to hear your news.

Was she in work regularly or at that age, is she semi or retired as that would make a huge difference to me to how I would treat it?

She was in regular work and as fit as a fiddle. 22 definately going on 10! She retired from serious competition SJ last year but was still doing regular xc comps and the odd fun team chase!

I currently have my old lad (32!) just wandering round the yard to keep her company...

Alchemy

Visit site
Sending healing vibes, as for keeping her occupied when my arab was locked up for a few months i tried treat ball ( on occasions) apple bobbing, hanging a swede just silly stuff really.

Good luck and fingers crossed

Annagain

Visit site
Mine loved a swede when he was on box rest - get the biggest one you can find as they can get their mouths around smaller ones and it makes them far too easy to crunch them open, if they're bigger they have to try to nibble chunks out of them which is much harder. He ignored the apples in his water, just drank around them and he worked out how to make the treat ball work so easily that it only occupied him for about 45 seconds. A green cabbage on the floor is also quite good as the leaves separate when they bite into them so it's takes a while to hoover all the bits up.

He was also better if we just put a rope across his door rather than shutting it. He'd kick it all day if it was shut (and he's not a door kicker) but wouldn't even push against the rope, let alone try to barge through it.

Hope she makes a good recovery.