Impaction colic

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ok so Arabi came in shaking last night thought he might have got a bit cold, so put a thicker rug on was eating fine, checked on him a bit later and had not eaten all his hay and just generally didn't look right, no classic colic symptoms to speak of was pooing but not eating as much, so got the vet out and he had an impaction she got some out tubed him starved him overnight did 2 droppings this morning still firm and quite dry.

So tubed again this morning his looking much brighter and his allowed a bit of grass, his temp is on the high end of normal heart rate normal, and she took bloods just to see if his got any inflammation.

So just wondered if anyone has any experiences or advice about it not experienced impaction colic before, I am just hoping the bloods are clear, she did say she has seen a fair few colics this week possibly down to sharp weather change from warm to cold, just praying it is just that his never had colic in the 13 years I have had him, feeling pretty crap about it tbh.

Reactions: tda

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Bit of an update his much better no signs if pain been eating grass and has done 3 piles if droppings and had a drink, only some bloods are back he has a low white and red blood cell count, won't know the rest of the bloods until tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced this before?

SEL

Visit site
Glad he's feeling better. My friend's horse was tubed for an impaction and it was 24 hours before it all shifted. Sloppy feeds with a bit of salt from memory.

Hope you get to the bottom of it x

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had one that was tubed for 3 days to no great effect. Progressively got duller.

We booked him into the vet hospital, was prepared to fork out for an operation.

He went on the lorry very sorry for himself. Was much brighter at the other end, the poo had come tumbling out, I am sure it was the excitement / movement of the lorry journey.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had one that was tubed for 3 days to no great effect. Progressively got duller.

We booked him into the vet hospital, was prepared to fork out for an operation.

He went on the lorry very sorry for himself. Was much brighter at the other end, the poo had come tumbling out, I am sure it was the excitement / movement of the lorry journey.

Its funny someone else's horse did the exact same thing travelling has that effect on some.

His almost looking normal and is starving but just worried about the bloods, there is obviously something else going on.