Import costs

SarahNZ

Visit site
Has anyone here imported a horse from German to England?

Can you tell me the requirements (any quarantine etc)? and an approx price?

I'm just trying to gauge the total costs as we might look for a dressage colt over there.

Thanks,

Sarah

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just trying to gauge the total costs as we might look for a dressage colt over there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any reason why you can't support British breeding???????
frown.gif

SarahNZ

Visit site
Im actually not british so it doesn't bother me to support british!
blush.gif
smile.gif

I'm looking at Germany because there are so many colts available over there, and they are very reasonably priced... in saying that I am still looking...

If you can tell me of studs that breed from top dressage bloodlines then I'll look here, but most that I have seen are by horses I have never heard of before!
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
I haven't imported from Germany for a few years but the cost then was approximately £400. No quarantine and the journey door-to-door took about 2-3 days.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you can tell me of studs that breed from top dressage bloodlines then I'll look here, but most that I have seen are by horses I have never heard of before!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, I'm not sure how to answer that really..................

MillionDollar

Visit site
Did an assignment on this last year. Will cost around £1,000-£2,000. best to go through a transport company as they will tell you what to do and will sort everything out.

Also just be careful when you're looking at importing as the Germans/Dutch etc. can see you coming and put the asking price up A LOT! TBH it would be much better to look for one in this country there are plenty around!!!! Especially if you don't want the next Salinero- if you are expect to pay megabucks. A foal from UK will cost average of £2,500 compared to Europe where the average is £7,500.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Will cost around £1,000-£2,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way!! Holy cr*p that is a LOT of inflation!!

2004 was the last time I imported - surely it can't have gone up that much in just 2 and a half years?

Tia

Visit site
But from Europe there isn't really very much that needs to be done. The shipper just collects the horse and it's paperwork and off he goes. Travel from within Europe is very uncomplicated.

SarahNZ

Visit site
Amymay, sorry I may need to clarify that a bit. Most of the stud sites I have looked at, the horses are by ones that I have not heard of. Mind you I am not from the UK so I don't know the lesser known ones, but I am looking for something by the likes of Gribaldi, Lingh, Don fred, Davignon, etc etc.

Million dollar - the foals I have seen in the Uk are priced £7500 and the ones in Germany 2500-6500 euro!! Mind you I am looking at 2 year olds, not foals.

Thanks all I expect there to be some difference in price, but £1-2000 does seem a little high!

crabbymare

Visit site
A friend imported one a couple of years ago, cost about£450 for the transport and they arranged all the paperwork.
No quarantine, but if you are importing a stallion you need to get them tested to make sure they don't have and communicable diseases.

Health certificates for travel from a state vet are a bit extra, and not incluced in the transport costs.

Add a bit for inflation, and it will also depend what part of England you are in.

jinglejoys

Visit site
Yes I bought Malaga from Malaga (!!
grin.gif
)and it cost about £400 I think through John Parker door to door with everything thrown in including one of those huge lorries that sit on command!

Rambo

Visit site
I'm sorry but I would seriously doubt that figure of £1000-£2000 ! I doubt there was that much profit in my boy in the first place, let alone adding those sorts of costs to his price
shocked.gif

Admittedly, the dealer who imported him would have transported him back himself, but all the same....

foraday

Visit site
Shared transport will be cheap and will take a few days. Always research the transport companies first and get the route that they will be taking so you know exactly when your horse will be unloaded for the lairage period.

Horses can be only transported 24 hours with food and water and then must be off the box in a stable for 24 before being loaded again.

Look at horse and hound reporting on that poor friesan that remained on a lorry for 52 hours and died! And that was from holland to manchester! The means the other poor horses too were on there and didn't get fed!!! Cost of transport £300!!!! The lady lost her horse as the 14 day exclusion for illness that she took out would not cover the horse. A reputable transporter would have insisted that you take out TRANSIT insurance-this would be more but your horse would be covered for illness during transit.

Individual loads will be more expensive but my goodness your horse is well cared for.

It does depend upon your budget though.

Only use a transporter registered with the Racehorse Transporters Association. There are many international transporters on there.

Good luck

SarahNZ

Visit site
Thnak foraday thats reall helpful info, seeing I don't know actually how long to expect it to take from country to country.

Cheers!

foraday

Visit site
use auto route to plan the journey. To give you an idea of timings. There are plenty of other maps on the internet to give you an idea of timings.

Newmarket to Geneva took 15 hours (HGV lorry at 56mph) including ferry.