Importing dog into Australia or New Zealand

Suelin

Visit site
Does anyone know the current requirements for bringing the family dog into either of the above named countries? Son & family are going at rather short notice (not yet sure how they get the choice of countries) on working visa.

Any information gratefully received. Thankyou.

Suelin

Visit site
Many thanks S4Sugar. Very involved and expensive. I suspect that we are soon to be looking after a yellow lab for the foreseeable!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Speak to DEFRA (they have a dedicated department for exports and they are very helpful), then to the Cargo department of the airline you will be using. Get everything in writing!

I think you may have to use a shipping agent these days but shop around. £10,000 is crazy! I used to ship my own exports. It is not rocket science though getting the timing right on all the paperwork can be problematic! Travelling kennels also need to be exactly right as they are very fussy. I used to make my own to measure for the dog as they are always shipped on volume and using a standard box can cost more than necessary. Not sure about "accompanied" (the dog travels with you but in the hold) shipments but they can sometimes be cheaper, best to ask.

s4sugar

Visit site
Two grand is more likely but how long is the contract for as it may be better for the dog to stay here?

Suelin

Visit site
Thankyou everyone. You are very helpful. The contract is INITIALLY for 2 years. If it were me I would leave him here certainly until I could see how things were going to pan out but they want to take ALL the family, which I understand but not at all sure the dog will. He'd be fine with us, he knows us and our dogs so no problems there. Still it is their decision to make. We will back up whatever they want to do. I think that my concern is that the dog is 9 now (not that he is an old dog, just not in the first flush of youth) and it seems a lot to go through at this time in his life.

I will pass on everyone's thoughts and experiences which may help them to make the right choices.

s4sugar

Visit site
I would certainly suggest that they move out and get settled before shipping the dog but I have known people ship the dog in advance so they can get the house packed up and get themselves moved while it is in the month quarantine.

At nine, if family are happy to keep the dog. I would say leave him behind.

Superhot

Visit site
http://www.jets4pets.com/ will be able to advise you of all the costs etc. I think that even though you obviously have to have all the relevant vaccinations etc, once the dogs are in Australia, they may still have to spend 4 weeks in quarantine. It's a very long flight as you'll know, and the dogs can be checked in up to 5 hours before take off. So they will be confined in their crate for at least 30 hours. I delivered a dog to Heathrow that eventually flew out to New Zealand. He arrived very smelly, but soon settled in his new home, happy to be reunited with his owners! I think animals tend to shut down during the flight. It's an alien experience to them so their coping mechanism is to go to sleep.

Suelin

Visit site
To update all the kind and helpful souls who gave me advice. Yellow Lab is staying with us for the 2 years his family will be away. We feel in the circumstances it is the best option for the dog. Our Whippets and Italian Greyhound have yet to be informed! They do know each other but it will be interesting when their beds are being occupied by the new family member.