Importing from Germany/Holland

SarahNZ

Visit site
Hi all,

Following on from my previous post about import costs, I'd love to hear about anyones experiences with importing a horse into the UK from Germany or Holland.

I'm looking at importing a young colt for dressage, but not sure where to start and what to expect!

Thanks!

Sarah
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
id get yourself a good trainer and get them to import it and organise trips over there for you. wherebouts are you based?

my trainer buys from germany and has her own company over there, she takes people out there on trips to look at youngsters etc. im down south tho, so it depends whereabouts you are.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Like PG, we've always gone through our trainer when it comes to importing horses.

The trainers tend to be well known by and have good relationships with the agents at the other end.

hadleigh

Visit site
Been away fro the weekend so just read your post. I was lucky enough to meet some Germans on holiday whose father breeds and trains dressage horses. Went to have a look and fell in love with one.... of course!!! Gorgeous husband bought him for me for wedding anniversary. We had him shipped over professionally. Cost £450 door to door but well worth every penny.

Rabea

Visit site
I brought my own horse over from Germany (south Germany, near Munich) which cost me 1000€. I have done it with a professional horse transportation company. Does this help. If you need details, pm me.

SarahNZ

Visit site
Thanks Tierra and Parisienne_Girl. I'm based in Maidstone, but don't have a trainer. Does you trainer act as an 'agent' in such cases? I'm not too keen on getting someone who is going to cost the earth (would like to keep costs down as much as possible due to pending transport costs). Would I be able to contact your trainers for a quick chat? If so can you PM me their details.
Thanks guys.

Hadleigh, wow I want an OH like yours!!! would you be able to pm me details of the germans? Do they have a website?

I've enquired about two horses I liked the look of in adverts on German sites, and both people were very rude! I hope they aren't all like that!
frown.gif

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
you are better off going through an agent who will take you to holland to look at horses as they are very experienced and can advise you every step of the way it will prob cost u for the agent but travel costs will be reduced as there will prob b alot of horses that the agent will b importing at the same time

or have you thought about going to a yard who imports straight from germany and holland

SarahNZ

Visit site
hi moviestar. i have thought about both, but I'm not from th UK so I'm not too sure of any trustworthy agents who have already imported.
any ideas on costs of their services or any in the UK that I could talk to?