Improving canter

loopylucifer

Visit site
Any good suggestions for improving and strenthening the canter? We have had some physio work to loosen up our back and improve the conection from back end to front (wont go into detail will take far to long!) she is improving all the time but canter can still be eratic sometimes really good other times not. I feel she needs to be stronger in the canter to suppot herself better but how??????

lizzie87

Visit site
My riding teacher always says try to improve the canter in the canter rather than coming back to trot all the time, which was the easier option with my horse! so will suggest some of the things i have done
- canter poles - 3 big human strides apart so they take one every stride

- walk to canter - generally get a better quality of canter to start with and try and maintain it

- think of trying to change the canter all the time, even if it would not be very noticible to someone on the ground, so collect up canter a bit and push on (4 strides ish of each)

- see if you can ask for shoulder fore in canter (out of a corner), then ride straight

- 10m circles, as these will collect them naturally so use this while still keeping the jump in the canter

will add any more i think of!

timsem

New User
Visit site
use lunge work to strengthen her quarters and the canter will come on in leaps and bounds. we use equiami lunging aid which really gets them working from behind and they soon get stronger from behind and lighter in front and are much easier to ride.

cyearsley

Visit site
Agree with all the other replies but would add jumping to the list too. As we have worked on our jumping, it has helped our canter work enormously. Poles, grid work, collection, extending the canter, are all valuable contributors. My horse really enjoys his jumping and though we don't do it to a high level, just going out and doing the odd bit of cross country and then working on collection etc when showjumping has really helped his canter overall. Good luck and hope my babbling is of some use
grin.gif

rlhnlk

Visit site
Jump use gridwork poles anything that makes them pick all their legs up off the ground really.
Another really good exercise is to start on a 20m circle in trot and spiral in gradually and consistently to a 10m circle, then leg yield gradually and consistently back out to the original 20m circle then as you finish the leg yield ask for canter. When more advanced this can be done all in canter and the exercise will help them step under more with their inside hind which will in turn create more power and stability.

Also trystanding in your stirrups so you aren't sitting on her until she strengthens a bit and even then warm up standing to encourage her to bring her back up.

K27

Visit site
You could maybe try (I've been having to do the same with one of mine to improve his strength behind) :

jump seat canter with the horse long and deep so they really have to use themselves, then more of a collected canter, and anything that will make them quicker behind to activate their hindlegs.

Medium canter to collected canter.

Rein back to canter to really make them sit and engage, and spiralling in and out of a circle.

Also cantering 2 x 5metre loops down the long sides of school.

And also lots of trot -canter transitions on a circle, then leg yield in trot down 3/4 line to track as soon as you hit the track pick up the canter as the leg yielding wil make it easier for them to engage their inside hind leg, and then you can repeat at the other end of school, I've found this one useful!.

Gd luck.

mutley1987

Visit site
I've found lunging in a pessoa has really improved my youngsters canter - she is a jumper and tends to bounce about like she is cantering on hot coals and can be quite tight through her back so getting her to move forward but through her back as well has been really important. I was recommended to use the pessoa by my physio for about 10-15 mins on the lunge a couple of times a week and, used correctly, at a length that encourages her to stretch has really strengthened the canter. if you get one off ebay they are about £30 and its been invaluable to me - or poss borrow one from a friend and see if it helps?
I tend to ride one day and pessoa the next to build up the idea of her working correctly in the canter with me on board as well as just when she is lunging
smile.gif

good luck though
smile.gif