Improving confidence in trailer

ponypatter

Visit site
Can anyone give me any advice on improving my horses confidence in the trailer? He previously travelled fine but then had a bad experience, I still don’t know what happened but he now seems very claustrophobic in there. He will load fine without a partition and is becoming more confident with the partition but I’m worried he’s really going to freak out when I try to raise the ramp or drive off any where! He will load and stand quietly until he decides its time to come off! I think his current acceptance of going on is based on the fact he knows he can come off when it becomes too much and I’m worried that as I close off his escape routes he will panic!

I know slow and steady and to make sure he is happy and relaxed with each change before we add more pressure (in terms of closing the trailer up etc) but I’d just like a bit of help! I can find loads of help with loading but nothing past that!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I had this issue with my girl, she would load no problems but once on wanted off as soon as possible, bolting, rearing, stressed, biting me/the trailer.

What worked, repetition, repetition and more repetition. I also put a stable mirror in the trailer. Had a ‘crunchy’ bag of treats and my phone for some music (to entertain me whilst I stood there 😊).

Load, stand, treat, have comfort from her ‘friend in the mirror’ wait and then unload. Repeat until your horse is doing this calmly, then starting adding the pressure slowly. So front ramp up, then breech bar etc etc. Always move to the next stage when comfortable for the horse.

It took me a good 6 months of doing this at least twice a week.

Good,luck, if you take the time to do this right now you will have a horse that you can take anywhere.

ponypatter

Visit site
Thank you so much for your reply! I suspected there wasn’t going to be a quick fix 😕. I had wondered about a mirror as an idea, good to know it helped her. Been debating a companion versus partition removal but guess time will tell on that too. Will need another breast bar. Thank you!