Improving the canter? Exercises?

Allie5

Visit site
Darcey has been with me for about 3 months now and I'm discovering that she is actually fairly well schooled under the fat/grumpy exterior! In walk and trot she feels lighter and more consistent in the contact (I'm guessing as she gets stronger she's finding the work easier)

60f600f0.jpg

This was us yesterday and although it's not a brilliant angle for comments you get a general idea!

Her canter transitions are definitely getting better, she really sits and pings forward rather than the run and fall into canter that we first got! However once canter is established ....blah! I'm using my legs as much as I can but I'm finding it really difficult to get her gathered together. She's better on a circle/corner but as soon as we straighten up she runs forward and down, she gets all stretched out and while she's not heavy in the hand she is nowhere near as light as in walk and trot.

443c4aff.jpg

Canter yesterday.
So is this just a case of her needing to be stronger? To be able to step under and carry herself more? Looking more at that picture I don't think I'm helping as I'm allowing her to tip me forward which is bound to make it more difficult for her to lift her forehand......aahhh! Help!

Emz99

Visit site
Hiya - here's some exercises i've used before, might be worth a try!

One exercise is to extend the canter a little along the long side, and then when you hit the corner really sit up and use your thighs and upper body to collect the canter and do a circle until your happy and have seen a change to a more working canter, and then repeat.

Another, is to leg yield from the centre line/ three-quarter line to the outside track and hit canter as you reach the track.

Lastly is one that works well in trot as well as canter - start on a large circle, and slowly leg yield/spiral into a smaller 10m circle, the key is as the circle becomes smaller, collect the canter/trot at the same time. Then slowly spiral back out and extend at the same time.

Hope that helps.

ngrace

Visit site
I'v been having similar problems, and found canter has improved a fair bit, and what iv been doing is:

Lots and lots of transitions, eg. walk to trot and straight into canter, walk to canter if you can, then canter to trot then straight into walk, and repeat. You dont need to canter round and round the school to improve it, just short but good quality bursts of canter will be better for you, rather than just running around on the forehand. Just canter at one end of the school and prehaps back to trot at the other end.

Jumping grids has also helped, make sure its with someone on the ground to help and make sure the striding is right for your horse, and doesnt need to be high. Try 3 jumps at say 2', 2 strides apart.

Lunging, preferably in equi-ami or similar (nothing that lets them lean) in canter really helps too.

ETA; That leg yeild thing mentioned above really helped me too (down the long side then into canter)

Herpesas

Visit site
When you feel she is about to 'go', pop her onto a 10m circle then go large again. You may find you end up doing a fair few down a 40m long side but this will help keeping her balanced and on her back end and will establish the idea that, although you're going in a straight line, she can't charge off unbalanced.

Agree with lots of transitions and the leg yield from the centreline.