In a teaching dilemma, need your advice

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
I am teaching a 12 year old to ride. She has just bought her 1st pony, moved it to a new yard and I began giving her lessons.

Anyway, the child is really quite nervous, but we have been taking it slowly, and have only just started cantering etc. Now, I always thought the pony was too much for her, but said pony didn't do anything particulary wrong apart from get strong and run through the bridle a bit. Particulary when she got nervous and tense, which is alot.

I have been schooling the pony once a week, and twice this week because the parents said the girl was having big problems with the pony.

So I rode the pony (14.1hh) Well, the pony has gone from a strong character to an absolute a**e. I told them to get the vet out to do it teeth as the felt sharp. (To give pony the benefit of the doubt) The vet had to sedate pony as it was so naughty, and vet said he thought the pony very 'sharp' and felt the behaviour had nothing to do with the pony's teeth/back, but was its personality.

I rode the pony the following day after vet had been, and it was an absolute nightmare...it threw wverything it had at me. It tried to bolt, run backwards, if I put my leg on to stop it quarters running out and it would go mental, I could trot it over poles away from home, but it would leap uncontrollably towards home.

The pony even ran through the bridle when they got it, causing the daughter to fall off.

Anyway, they come back from holiday, and I told them I had trouble with the pony. (It really was the worse pony I have ever ridden, and I have had some horses) That I didn't think the pony was for them, as the girl had no confidence to start with ad frankly I cant guarantee her safety during lessons.

They went away for an hour and come back to sya the still want to work with the pony.

I'm obviously not happy with this, because I will be accountable if she should have an accident, not to mention how bad I would feel.

What should I do? I dont want to leave them in the lurch, but I am not happy teaching an uncontrollable pony with a very nervous rider.

N.B. The parents are not horsey at all, and I mean not at all.

Nari

Visit site
I know it's not very constructive but if I were you I would refuse to teach her on the pony. I'd explain to the parents why I was doing that - very concerned for their daughter's safety as the pony seems to be totally unsuitable - and suggest that if they want to keep the pony they find someone else to help them. If I thought it would make a difference I'd maybe offer to do some serious schooling with it & teach them how to lunge it to take the edge off it before riding, but from what you say this isn't the case.

Sorry, that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear but I just can't see it's worth the risk & stress of carrying on teaching her.

Clodagh

Visit site
Don't know the answer, but as a parent I think they are nuts. Theres a little buit naughty and theres dangerous, stupid people.
crazy.gif

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
It is actually what I wanted to hear.
smile.gif
I even suggested sending the pony to a professional trainer, as I just havent got the time to intensively school it (with a full time job)

I actually got off it, lunged it in side reins to make it work hard, got back on it and it was still a nightmare.

Thanks for your reply.
smile.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I would get them out to watch you struggling - not very flattering but only way to ram home the message that if it is being a shite it has to go. Otherwise it will just be ignored or passed to someone else.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I would get them to come and watch you, and if they still want you to teach her then get a contract drawn up releasing you of any libility and state that you warned them that the pony was unsuitable for their daughter.

Sounds like a right sod!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I agree with the not teaching the child, maybe offer to go with them to choose a pony that the child can cope with, why oh why do people insist on buying ponies of the wrong type for novice kids?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Personally I would sit down with them and tell them that you think the pony is downright dangerous for their daughter to ride. If they don't like what you say that's their call. Also tell them that you're not prepared to teach a child on such a pony, as lessons are in no way constructive.
Some ponies are just little buggers, and nothing you do will sort it.

elaineh

Visit site
Maybe there are a few issues. Teeth definitely sound like coudl have caused some unwanted behaviour --- it might take a few days yet for pony not to be in pain in mouth. I would advise getting a vet to check ponys back is ok, as a dentist really isn't qualified to say what condition a ponys back is in.

Explain to parents that pony has serious issues which need to be fixed. To keep child safe and get pony better, you recommend vet check of teeth and back, followed up by RA visit (or two) to show child AND parents how to handle and do groundwork with pony to improve behaviour, and no riding lessons for a few weeks. Also loko at what food pony is getting - if ok, cut out most/all hard food, and no more hand feeding if pony is getting aggressive.

The idea would be to get the medical all clear, and then to start to improve the ponys behaviour on ground thruogh exercises which RA can help parents with.

I'd be with you in kepping rider & horse safe at all costs.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I would not teach the child on it either and explain that you are not prepared to carry on with a unsuitable pony for this level of rider, yo have your reputation, moral duty and insurance to consider. You should also explain that NO reputable instructor would consider teaching a nervous beginner on an unsuitable pony, and for the safety of the daughter it would be better to sell the pony and get a first ridden old timer that will allow the child to develop her riding skill and confidence.
If the child is not confident on this pony now, no matter how much retraining it has, she will never feel confident on it, it will result in her either getting seriously hurt or refusing to ride at all, in which case the pony will be sold anyway. Be really assertive and even ask them to get a second opinion if this they still are not swayed.
best of luck
Dawn
PS they are ignorant stupid people with a death wish for their child.

teapot

Visit site
Get the parents to see how much of a brat it was (had this problem when old share pony started bucking badly, owners didnt believe me and it took said pony to piss off whilst owner was driving him to get him looked at) anyway

Get the parents to see you ride it, make it absolutely clear what you're trying to do whilst schooling it so like a mini demonstration, saying that if I ask it to trot - it goes sideways at 100mph or whatever.

And keep trying to explain that it's detrimental to their daughter's future riding and her confidence. As you know and we all know that one unsuitable pony can knock a kid's confidence for life.

And if they still don't lesson, draw up a contract saying that you're not responsible if anything is to happen to the child. Also write them a letter showing your concerns regarding the pony. Make sure they get it etc and keep a copy yourself. That way if anything happens and they try and make you liable (had a case at the yard like this) you've got the proof to say well pony wasn't suitable

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Where did they buy the damn thing from?
Is there any come back on the seller?
Did they not have anyone with them when they went to look & try it as clearly they know nothing?
They obviously have no idea of the power a pony has & the damage & injury it can inflict. The owner's got to be told that if they want it schooled or their child taught on it then they will have to go elsewhere but you strongly advise the pony should be sold/traded for one more suitable. Emphasis must be placed on the potential serious injury their child could receive if it is not sold.
You have some very stupid/stubborn parents there to deal with.
Good Luck, you'll need it
frown.gif

PS Drawing up a contract will probably not absolve you from responsibilities as their is still a pupil/teacher relationship which in itself carries responsibilities...you ned to bail out!