In a total pickle - Help? BRC rules for FOTH

kick_On

Visit site
As earlier this week i did posting about the lack of Va Va Rooooooooooom
see below
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4423680/an/0/page/5#4423680

We have now got rule book and read from cover to cover BUT still would like a couple of opinions/questions clarifed.....

Now sounds daft BUT my comp is the Pairs, 2 phase sj first and then directly out on to xc with no time to change tack. And my horse requires Snaffle for sj and Cheltelham gag for xc (as 2nd horse and do require brakes).

Here's my problems we have NO va va roooom in sj and I need to carry stick in way that i can very quickly back up my leg (across whithers), but will they think it's wrong??? It has been fine at BE.................

Next

BUT as i need CG for xc so going to go for double reins (martingale will also be on this rein)- i'll tie a knot in rein but worried about gag rein slipping can I;
a) sew into mane
b) velcro rein to bridging bit of brestplate
c) just tuck under bridging bit of brestplate and hope it doesn't move???

Panic, Panic, Panic
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Advise pretty please

(please note I know my gg very well, so not into right and wrongs)

gummybear

Visit site
You should be fine with using your whip as a back-up, as with any competition, it is only if you are seen to be using it to excess that you would get into trouble.

With regard to the bit/reins - I personally would jump in whatever you are happier with. If the horse really has no voom at the moment, would you not be OK to go xc in a snaffle? If that is not the case, why not sj in the CG, but just have the bottom rein slightly looser so that you arent taking much of a pull. It shouldnt slow the horse down too much if you arent taking a pull on it. Also - maybe the atmosphere of the comp will liven your horse up a bit. Otherwise - what about something like Red Cell - a liquid addative that you put into feed, that is really good stuff.

kick_On

Visit site
it's more the postion of stick as if you hold it across hand and whithers i can get a quickier snapper repsonse behind my leg (BUT could/can look agressive!!)

Don't need CG sj and very worry about using it as don't not want to stiffle any power that i've given
grin.gif
cos we ain't go to get alot
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Got to go in CG as i'm second horse and under STRICT instruction NOT to pass as it will cause lead horse to BOLT
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

And by xc my horse will light up like christmas tree - as he loves
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Here's in my problems as i know RC are very fussy about rules.
And not alot of point changing food, as comp sat
cool.gif
and then he'll be going on holiday until i pick him up for getting fit for hunting

gummybear

Visit site
You dont have much option then do you! Personally I would use CG as you are clearly more worried about holding the horse xc than you are the sj. Dont see that you have any other choice!

SpottedCat

Visit site
Thistle I am pretty sure the same is true for BSJA and BE and the OP has just been lucky not to be pulled up on it so far!!

kick_On

Visit site
i've read rule book and they don't appear to have ruling on stick position, they have on use of, but as i say it's to back up leg and i used only directly behind my leg.............

Anyone got any thought on reins - sewing etc....

Or i can see myself being numpty at secretaries desk
confused.gif

SC -sorry i did check BEFORE BE and position fine. And again ruling is on over use and not postion, plus not allow to hail cab whacking (but that's not what i do)

BUT now found in rule book: whip to be carry in 'traditional manner' - so i now know answer - BUT a traditional way of carry 'whip' is the way i carry it, well it is out hunting!!!.............
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
give head office a ring they are normally helpful as there are always rule book queries

Lynseys number is 01926 707767 she is comps exec and is there till 12.30

If not Aimee is on 01926 707769 she is comp admin

or email brccompetitions@bhs.org.uk

though I find it easier to explain things on the phone. You won't be the only one in a similar position and I am not sure they have really thought this format through. My area is apparently keeping the qualifiers as a normal HT but not telling anyone the optimum time though not sure that is fair either as just becomes a bogey time then. That is why it was brought in, too many clear and dead on the time so couldn't separate for placings.

I also think that they have quite clear rules on use of the whip and you are poss not breaking them, however that is probably up to the steward on the day. With regards to the reins I think for jumping generally you can use what you like within reason so I wouldn't anticipate a problem with you setting it up however you like but a prior phone call might just put your mind at rest.

kick_On

Visit site
thx ester

next port of call - i just wanted to canvass opinion about second gag rein.....

re whip :i think you right.... but i like to ask

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
it just means that if they say on the day that you are not allowed to do on or the other you can at least say you checked with head office!

Applegirl

Visit site
I when to look at the new BRC Competion yesterday. It was ok, but I still think it should be a Hunter Trial. Hope you had luck with the BRC Office, my club often finds that no one knows the rules there. It would be nice if all members where sent a rule book. We pay enough. But I have been given to understand that BRC is now just part of the BHS, so maybe we can understand why they are in a muddle.