In foal or fat?? Awaiting blood results

Merlinlily

Visit site
Hi everyone, I’m new to this group and just after opinions really. My mare had her bloods taken last week as myself and friends on the yard have become concerned at her weight but mainly shape. She seems to have changed and continued to gain weight even tho I’ve cut her feed back since the beginning of the year. What do you think?? I’ve had her since 31st October thanks x https://www.dropbox.com/s/afotwsevliohb4y/Photo 25-03-2019, 09 10 21.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wv3b4d799s8pkjn/Photo 28-03-2019, 11 42 36.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3we6of214bmpjiq/Photo 27-03-2019, 14 09 10.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7qet1dz3apu0cx/Photo 26-03-2019, 17 48 46.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzqu95ma30s8lxr/Photo 26-03-2019, 17 48 35.jpg?dl=0

Merlinlily

Visit site
I'm no expert so wouldn't want to hazard a guess! She's very pretty though and HHO loves a BOGOFF so if she is in foal you will be able to get plenty of advice (as long as we get lots of updates and foal watch posts hehehe) :D

Thanks :) she’s a sweet heart..... I have two section a’s Who were both the same shaped barrel January, both had the feed cut right back, out in the day in at night and my other pony has just nicely lost weight where as she seems to of lost nothing just completely changed shape with it!! Also hadn’t yet come into season! Will keep you updated :)

meleeka

Visit site
My section A has a huge belly and not a lot anywhere else so I think they tend to carry weight there first. Hopefully you’ll find out soon but there really isn’t anything as cute as a Section A foal!

windand rain

Visit site
Depends where she came from and how much work she does. She is fat my two year old was huge and I suspected a bogof for a while but she did drop a lot of weight in March April when we ran out of foggage and only fed small amounts of hay so she had the scrabble about for tufts of grass

Merlinlily

Visit site
My section A has a huge belly and not a lot anywhere else so I think they tend to carry weight there first. Hopefully you’ll find out soon but there really isn’t anything as cute as a Section A foal!
Thanks, it’s just as my other one has nicely lost his belly since cutting feed back.... and she seems to continue growing and she’s on less than him! X

Merlinlily

Visit site
Depends where she came from and how much work she does. She is fat my two year old was huge and I suspected a bogof for a while but she did drop a lot of weight in March April when we ran out of foggage and only fed small amounts of hay so she had the scrabble about for tufts of grass
She’s only young herself, unbroken so not in work as such, where she cane from I know there is a Shetland due to foal in about 6 weeks but don’t no if the colt was at the place my mare came from or if the Shetland went to run with him if you see what I mean :)

Merlinlily

Visit site
I am awful at guessing so no help there. But it can be hard to tell. There were more than a few occasions when people asked me if my pony was pregnant. I was highly offended on his behalf...
Aww haha!!
If she hadn’t of changed shape with the ‘being fat’ and appeared to all drop lower I would be as concerned..... also not to have had a season since I’ve owned her..... just very suspicious x

windand rain

Visit site
Not always too noticable we went to collect a mare to go hunter trialling she was in overnight as she had been jumping the night before and was sweaty opened the stable door and two pairs of eyes were looking up. She had a colt foal during the night with no outward sign at all.

windand rain

Visit site
Got a ways to go is she is as no movement on the udder I would think if she is you have at least until summer to plan the thing that makes me slightly suspicious is the fact she has quite a pronounced backbone and a big belly so not conventionally fat all over with a big round tummy and a flat back my very fat welsh 2 year old the week we bought her

rowan.jpg

Merlinlily

Visit site
Got a ways to go is she is as no movement on the udder I would think if she is you have at least until summer to plan the thing that makes me slightly suspicious is the fact she has quite a pronounced backbone and a big belly so not conventionally fat all over with a big round tummy and a flat back my very fat welsh 2 year old the week we bought her

View attachment 30810
Thank you! So you think she could quite possibly be in foal? X

Merlinlily

Visit site

View attachment 30810
Your Welsh is beautiful by the way x

windand rain

Visit site
rowan99.jpg
this is her a year later with the evil dartmoor on consevation grazing I think it could be possible but not soon how old is she

Merlinlily

Visit site
View attachment 30816
this is her a year later with the evil dartmoor on consevation grazing I think it could be possible but not soon how old is she
She’s only 2😫 where she came from there we’re shetlands one a stallion, one of the Shetland mares are in foal due in about 6 weeks..... I explained all this too my vet and she thinks it’s very possible x

windand rain

Visit site
That makes me less convinced she is in foal it is unusual although not impossible for yearlings to hold in foal is she 3 soon or next yearr

joosie

Visit site
Sometimes it is hard or almost impossible to see when a mare's in season, some of them just don't seem to show it. My mare is 11 and I barely notice when she is in season as she doesn't really show any signs - I can only really tell by the smell of her pee!

Equi

Visit site
Young fillies in particular don’t really show in season. Mine only started to show at the very end of last summer so she would have been 2 and a half.

Knowing her age I do hope she’s not pregnant.

What’s her worming history?

Merlinlily

Visit site
Young fillies in particular don’t really show in season. Mine only started to show at the very end of last summer so she would have been 2 and a half.

Knowing her age I do hope she’s not pregnant.

What’s her worming history?
Thank you me too! She has always been regularly wormed, did a poo count when we first got her and wormed accordingly!