In hand hunter, help..

SpottyTB

Visit site
Hi there,

I have entered my yearling Hugo into a yearling in hand hunter class, it is next Monday. He is ready to go, walks/trots in hand, bited, loading in and out of a trailer and generally calm about most things.
However, i am having a bit of a worry about his turn out. Obviously i plait him up, but do i plait or shave his tail (i'd rather plait), do the whiskers come off? I've cut a bridle path in and taken the little bit of hair off his fetlocks.
Where do i apply baby oil? Do i need to do quarter marks?

In regards to my OH who is showing him, he has light colored trousers (Hugo is bay), a Harris tweed jacket with a yellow check shirt underneath and blue tie. To go with all of this he has steel toe cap jod boots and a tweed trilby - is the trilby suitable?

Sorry for the huge amount of questions but i am panicking slightly. I just want to turn up and look presentable. Here's a couple of photo's of Hugo turned out a few weeks ago (practice run at home)..

Thank you in advance

be positive

Visit site
Plait his tail or lightly pull it to shape, do not shave or clip the top it looks awful.
Leave his whiskers but do under his chin and tidy up any very long whiskers that look untidy, he is a baby so leaving them will be fine, trim the long hairs on the outside of his ears. Baby oil muzzle, round eyes, dock and legs can benefit from a wipe with a cloth.
A couple of stripes on his quarters plus sharks teeth if you can but not to worry if it is difficult leave him without.

He is looking really good:)

jrp204

Visit site
He is looking lovely, will try to see his class, we are there with the sheep and daughter is in the riding horse class. Busy day, hope its not too hot.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Be positive - thanks for the advice, I will try plaiting his tail tonight! Will mention to mil about doing quarter marks, she's better at it than me!

Jrp204 - we're in at 8am, would be lovely to meet you and introduce my boy! I'll be at the side of the ring with my camera as OH is doing the showing - It doesn't really interest me hugely and I'm to un fit to run! ;)

Good luck to you and your daughter :) x

SpottyTB

Visit site
Happy Hunter - thank you for that, i actually would have probably forgotten to do that. I will make a mental note of remembering to wash down after his class.

Lynsey&Smartie - thank you so much :). He surprised me yet again today. We've been practicing loading and today i put the the partition in, i was on my own but thought i'd give him ago. He walked straight in, stood tied up whilst i put all the breast bars and tail bars across.. then i shut the ramps whilst chatting to him and he just stood and listened to me talking. He's so ace, am so pleased with him!

STB