In hand showing....what classes..???

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm really keen to have a go at in hand showing next year but not sure what classes my boys fit into..??
The mini Shitland is straightforward.
Rex is Connemara x Cob, approx 16.1, 9.5" of bone, gelding, sooty buckskin, not a particularly hairy type.
Rocket is Cob, approx 15.2, 10.5" of bone, gelding, tricolour, pretty hairy.

I'm not particularly wanting to be super competitive, just for a bit of fun plus experience and change of scenery for the boys really ?20200819_175349_resize_12.jpg20190704_192307_resize_53.jpg

Last edited:

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thank you. Rocket is a good looking boy (and he knows it ?) but Rex is a bit upright on his hocks..?? I don't expect great things from either in terms of winning anything lol, but I think it would just be nice to do something a little different with them. I'm nowhere near confident enough to do ridden classes ??

Thanks Winters, I think they're both gorgeous but it's possible that I'm a "little" biased ?

Roxylola

Visit site
Coloured and cob class for the cob, hunters for rex. At local level I've known them throw cobs and hunters together so assuming you wont have a second handler I'd do coloured with the cob and rex as a hunter (trimmed and plaited).
Might even consider native part breds

jnb

Visit site
I like your cob, would LOVE to see him hogged - I think there might be a show cob under there if he moves well enough.
I think my cob would be similarly hairy if I let him :)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I like your cob, would LOVE to see him hogged - I think there might be a show cob under there if he moves well enough.
I think my cob would be similarly hairy if I let him :)

I'm not a fan of hogging etc (I like them HAIRY ?) but I actually think this boy could look amazing.....however (for the time being) he is on loan so I'm not sure his owner would appreciate me defluffing him ??? I could ask though I guess......

jnb

Visit site
@SatansLittleHelper I understand, tbh before I did it I'd need to measure how much bone he has, 8.5-9" minimum for a LW - mine has 10.5/11" as a HW.
He's right up my street! My mum would love him (she's 75 and retired her old boy at the age of 33 this year) - though not all cobs are suitable for just anyone, mum's a better rider at her age, than I'll ever be!

Visit site
For Rex at very local level hunters - trimmed and plaited and M&M Part Bred. But realistically he hasn't got the best conformation so to go any higher than your local riding club show would be pointless - sorry!

Rocket - keep him hairy and do traditional cob and coloured classes. To do Cob classes they should be hogged and trimmed. but for Traditional (TGCA) and Coloureds the more hair the better.

katastrophykat

Visit site
I’ll be honest, in youngstock classes, my three year old did very well locally and was Very Close behind! But, we worked hard at home, taught him to switch on for his go round and off for the lineup, handled him well, marched him round and kept him alert. Turned him out to type and he did bloody brilliantly up to county level. A purposeful show, alert horse well shown By the handler and a good turnout went a long way to regularly beating better horses. I was very careful who I mention to that he was a trotter cross as well ? first pic at 2, last one at 4, after he’d been unlevel over the summer and I didn’t fancy riding him in public yet.

Attachments

• 10D21F22-C0B4-412B-B16C-77FB5DCBA153.jpeg
    10D21F22-C0B4-412B-B16C-77FB5DCBA153.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 21
  • E8A3B4E1-8209-4677-A12F-D62EB48CCDF2.jpeg
    E8A3B4E1-8209-4677-A12F-D62EB48CCDF2.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 22

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
RC's tend to do a huge variety of in hand classes to try and provide something for everyone ( after all - they want/need your money ! ) . Alongside the breed , type and colour classes you usually find the likes of best condition ( sometimes split into grass kept and stable kept ) , best turned out , best handler , youngstock , veterans etc . Have a look at the schedule to see what you are eligible for and enter whatever you fancy - and don't get disheartened if things don't go your way , the judging can veer wildly between excellent and incomprehensible ( I once got asked by the judge , in a ridden class , to " change the rein in a stretchy outy trot . " She then demonstrated this with her arms to further drive the point home . I was also asked , on winning a youngstock class , if I was going to keep my filly entire ? ) . Embrace the madness ! And have fun !!
NB - IME most RC cob classes allow them to be shown hogged or unhogged .

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks everyone...Im going to study form now to see what classes will be available locally. It really is just to have a bit of fun with Rex and get him out and about. I think Rocket has the potential to do quite well but I guess we'll see. Having shown dogs Im reluctant to be drawn into it all too seriously as it seems people get less pleasant as you go up the ranks etc :(