In-hand showing,

ahml100

Visit site
Hello!

I have recently acquired a 2 year old by Cos me is Black out of a P2P mare.

I would like to get him to a couple of shows this year, purely to get him a little more worldly.

I am mainly looking at UA but have tried to research into affiliated without much luck!

Would anyone be able to point me to the correct rule book? I have tried the BSHA and the shGb but could not find any information in their rule books.

I apologise in advance if I have been rather dim and missed it in an obvious place!

Thanks in advance!

conniegirl

Visit site
what do you want to show him as? becoming a member of the BSHA and SHGB and registering a horse with either of them is VERY expensive (nearly £120 for SHGB and £100 for BSHA) so you do need to know what you want to show as (hack, riding horse, hunter or sports horse).
Additionaly for inhand classes I don't think you actually have to be a member to enter the qualifier shows if you do not want to take up the qualification.

BSHA rule book is here:
http://britishshowhorse.org/bsha-rule-book.asp

SHGB rule book is here:
http://www.sporthorsegb.co.uk/assets/files/download.asp?doc=RulesandRegs2019.pdf

ahml100

Visit site
what do you want to show him as? becoming a member of the BSHA and SHGB and registering a horse with either of them is VERY expensive (nearly £120 for SHGB and £100 for BSHA) so you do need to know what you want to show as (hack, riding horse, hunter or sports horse).
Additionaly for inhand classes I don't think you actually have to be a member to enter the qualifier shows if you do not want to take up the qualification.

BSHA rule book is here:
http://britishshowhorse.org/bsha-rule-book.asp

SHGB rule book is here:
http://www.sporthorsegb.co.uk/assets/files/download.asp?doc=RulesandRegs2019.pdf

Thank you, truthfully I know nothing about the different sectors it is really just a curiosity thing. When looking through the rule book I think I got the idea of them but just could not find anything relating specifically to young-stock bar membership being a lot less.

Though I do fully appreciate that could be me not seeing the correct part of the various rule books!

conniegirl

Visit site
pop a photo up on here and we can tell you what we think he should be shown as. a good side on conformation photo is best.

Youngstock have certain classes but tbh as a 2 yr old you will generaly be in with the much more mature 3yr olds and at affiliated shows they will be produced and look like they are 5! so most don't bother showing 2 yr olds affiliated.

ahml100

Visit site
pop a photo up on here and we can tell you what we think he should be shown as. a good side on conformation photo is best.

Youngstock have certain classes but tbh as a 2 yr old you will generaly be in with the much more mature 3yr olds and at affiliated shows they will be produced and look like they are 5! so most don't bother showing 2 yr olds affiliated.

In total agreement, it is just a curiosity thing on my part. The first one was taken in November last year... I apologise for the state of the apparent equine in the 2nd picture he lives out 24:7 in a herd so resembles a small round hippo and was taken tonight!

Attachments

• 1D175B29-68C2-4E48-AA81-1BD421A8182C.jpeg
    1D175B29-68C2-4E48-AA81-1BD421A8182C.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 58
  • A18BCFE6-3DFD-4A3F-B80A-97A9879CB3B1.jpeg
    A18BCFE6-3DFD-4A3F-B80A-97A9879CB3B1.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 58

cundlegreen

Visit site
He needs to go in sports horse classes. He will be in his own age group there, but any affiliated shows will want him registered with SHBGB, which cost approx £24 for basic identity record. You don't have to be a member for in hand classes. Nice cross, he should be smart!

Templebar

Visit site
Totally pointless but he looks really nice i should think he will be very smart in a few years, how big is he? I saw pics of that stallion and was quite impressed if i was to go out and buy a youngster i wouldn't mind one of his.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if you only want to get him out in the world why not do local shows, they usually have youngstock classes of different types. i showed mine mainly in hunter classes and riding horse classes at local shows and did well in both classes ..i even qualified for essex county by coming first in a small hunter class and i was doing it for the same reason as you and she turned out to be a very easy horse to take anywhere and was completely traffic proof as well because she was used to vehicles driving on the showgrounds. he looks like a good type to me, good luck

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm no good with showing advice, but he's a really nice youngster, should make a lovely ridden horse

SEL

Visit site
He's lovely. I was also going to say that if you're just doing it to get him a bit of experience then local shows are a good start.

I was the jockey for my friend's welshy when he was backed. He'd been shown in hand since he was 2 and was the easiest and bravest pony to hack - used to show up the oldies by marching past pretty much everything. It's a great way for them to see the world.

ihatework

Visit site
From what I can work out from the SHB(GB) shows are its complex and expensive and unlikely to be worth the time and effort unless you are seriously into showing 😂

I’ve got a 3yo that I am, through gritted teeth, going to get out in-hand this year. But will stick to more local stuff. Check out trailblazers, they run showing at a number of centres and include an inhand young stock class

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If the outings are purely for education, just to get him travelling and being polite in hand, I would just take him locally. Many riding clubs do youngstock classes, yes you will be in with allsorts but it doesn't matter. All he needs to do is remain civil, stand still and trot in hand. Loading to come home is a help too ! The local level shows are often more of an education because they tend to be a little less structured and a bit of a scrum with ponies flying around and random prams. I remember taking a yearling hunter locally and finding myself next to the gymkhana. thankfully I did manage to hang on but it was like flying a kite !

Affiliated classes are highly competitive with top class stock in them. It is costly to register the horse and yourself. Entry fees at County level are eye watering too. If he matures into something special it is more fun to bring him out under saddle as a 4 year at County level and use the low level schooling in hand to your advantage.

ahml100

Visit site
Thank you everyone for kind replies, I saw him trotting across a field in August and was captivated by him from that moment!
Just to stress, he will only be going to local shows and only about 2/3. Showing had always perplexed me and I was posting to see how affiliated would run a young stock class. So thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge, I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about this area of the equine world!