In hand XC?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its just occured to me that Bobbie has never seen a water obstacle in her life and at a competition might not be the best time to introduce her to one, so we are off to a local XC next week to play in the water. They dont allow carriages but will let me lead/long rein her. I'm not sure that it will end well. Last time we went for a walk in the woods and jumped some logs etc, I stupidly went in just a headcollar and after she shoved her nose in stinging nettles she dragged me 1/2mil back home at warp speed and I had to go and see my physio to get my legs working properly again! Shes going in a bridle this time.

Has anyone else taking theirs out XC in hand?

Reactions: DD

be positive

Visit site
No but I have long reined one to get it into water, riding and leading did not work but some nifty work on long reins got her walking in happily, I feel more in control behind them if I am not on board as even the best mannered horse can push into you if you are leading them in some circumstances, in all honesty with your health issues I would have someone competent with you who could take over if required and be able to deal with any issues before anything gets out of hand and becomes a problem.

Hopefully she will take it in her stride but it is best to be fully prepared.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sort of!

We had a rather long-legged 17.2hh Shire mare, who decided she would rather eat next-door's grass than ours. So, she stepped over the dry-stone wall at a point where it was quite low on the other side and made friends with the pony who lived there. The first time she did it, I went to ask the farmer for the key to the gate, so that I could lead her home along the road. The 2nd time, I couldn't face that again - we had had to follow her with a car with hazard lights on in the dark! So this time, I led her back over the wall and fence - not easy but we always joked about the time we did in-hand x-country with her!

Jinx94

Visit site
I regularly do XC in hand with Tris, always in a bridle and a lunge line! (Unless we've stopped in the middle of riding)

It helps that he's very good at staying out of my space and I'm super aware of where he is at all times. We have had our mishaps, but he tends to stay put if I jump something and he doesn't. Can be quite entertaining!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I used to do in hand xc with Dae a bit. I did use a lunge line and a headcollar, but he was always very compliant. I would use a bridle otherwise! I always enjoyed it, and Dae's incredible with ditches / water / steps etc as a result.

cobsandbassets

Visit site
Its just occured to me that Bobbie has never seen a water obstacle in her life and at a competition might not be the best time to introduce her to one, so we are off to a local XC next week to play in the water. They dont allow carriages but will let me lead/long rein her. I'm not sure that it will end well. Last time we went for a walk in the woods and jumped some logs etc, I stupidly went in just a headcollar and after she shoved her nose in stinging nettles she dragged me 1/2mil back home at warp speed and I had to go and see my physio to get my legs working properly again! Shes going in a bridle this time.

Has anyone else taking theirs out XC in hand?

cobsandbassets

Visit site
No help here what so ever sorry but some years ago me and OH were allowed with a carriage round a cross country course in East Yorkshire. We had a blast in and out of the water but most of the riders either dismounted in alarm or got bogged off with. We did have permission and were considerate but not popular x

Last edited:

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I'm taking my young horse for her first ever xc schooling session with a lunge line and bridle. I did the same with my main horse 10 years ago. I like to introduce a horse to ditches, steps, water and scary things without them having to cope with my body weight being thrown around when they inevitably stop, spook, bunny hop, stag leap etc. and allow them to think for themselves. Better than me putting them off by being left behind and throwing them off balance. I will get on board before to warm up and after once they've mastered. IMO best way to do it so long as they are steady.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm going to take the driving saddle and reins so I can long rein as well, but Bobbie is one of lifes followers! If shes worried about something so long as a human goes first its fine. Shes generally a polite soul, she just power walked back last time while I trialed behind her. If I let my health issues stop me doing things I'd never get out of bed :p But I will def have someone else there for when I trip over my own feet and face plant in the water.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I regularly do XC in hand with Tris, always in a bridle and a lunge line! (Unless we've stopped in the middle of riding)

It helps that he's very good at staying out of my space and I'm super aware of where he is at all times. We have had our mishaps, but he tends to stay put if I jump something and he doesn't. Can be quite entertaining!

I wont be jumping anything! I send her on like shes lunging round me almost. Good to know both you and JFTD and MOC have done it though. Im looking forward to it. We used to enjoy log jumping in the woods.

emfen1305

Visit site
I've been lunging Buddy over the XC fences in the field at the yard, he loves jumping but they are a bit big for my liking at the moment, he's loving it! I just do exactly as if I were to lunge him in the school but he is a little more ahem energetic so have to be a bit quicker have an extra long line in case I need to let go a bit!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I haven't but I have seen YouTube videos of the cooley team lunging over ditches etc. I don't have links but suspect they are Google able abd they seem to know abit about training a xc horse

gunnergundog

Visit site
I have always enjoyed watching Richard Sheane lunge his horses over natural obstacles. Indeed, it does look effortless, but in this video below you will note that you get a very brief glimpse of both someone else on the ground behind the horse and another horse being held on the far side of the obstacle. Depending on the horse, you may need contingency plans, so not always so easy as just turning up and letting the horse sort everything out for itself.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I did it on a lunge line-I wasn't jumping stuff myself lol. He was an exceptional horse on the lunge wrt manners and voice control and he absolutely loved doing this as he liked figuring stuff out, he was a much braver jumper than I deserved. Both him and my current pony also went/go off track-ie they're led over very rough ground, ditches, logs, banks, rocky bits, boggy bits, foot bridges, narrow gaps between trees and expected to sort themselves out-which they do.