In hospital.

slumdog

Visit site
A horse I was trying on Wednesday (a friends-awkward) went up with me. She stepped backwards and managed to get her leg down the other side of the arena and we flipped backwards through the post and rail fencing, she landed straight on top of me. Ambulance took nearly 40 mins to arrive, then hopped me to the ambulance, took my boot off and realised it was an open fracture (nice!) Once I was at hospital the staff realised how bad it was and took me straight to resus! Apparently I should have been airlifted to queens in Nottingham and not allowed gas and air because nobody checked for a collapsed lung! Had to have full X-rays and CT scans but luckily everything was ok. Thank god I was wearing a riding hat and proper riding boots!

I've broken my tibia and fibula and dislocated my ankle but other than that I guess I'm lucky I'm alive. Had an op yesterday to plate and pin everything so waiting for X-ray's today to see if it's worked. They've warned me my leg might not be the same :( So I'm out for hickstead (who were fantastic and refunded me straight away!) and arena uk (less fantastic) and everything else for the foreseeable future. Anyone want an easy grade A to ride in the midlands area let know.

Oh and gas and air is fantastic!

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Oh wow that is awful -you poor thing! Wishing you a speedy recovery and I hope you are back in the saddle soon (well as soon as a mended leg allows you!). Look after yourself x

meesha

Visit site
Omg how horrid, thank god as you say u were wearing good hat and boots, sending healing vibes from somerset. Try to stay positive x

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Oh goodness, that sounds terrifying and you seem very lucky to be hoping away- I don't normally complain but I would be raising this with the ambulance manager the paramedics care could have caused irreversible damage had you been injured any more than you were. I would want to stop that happening to anyone else.
Hope you recover quickly

julie111

Visit site
Awful, poor you! I hope you heal as quickly as you can without too many long term problems! The paramedics should be sent off for some more training!

Ella19

Visit site
Ouch! My advise is follow the doctors instructions and get a good physio as soon as possible. My shoulder is not the same, I have reduced feeling and hit and miss use of my right arm when riding, but you adapt and I haven't found one horse yet that hasn't adapted to me after either. Just look at the guy that's come third at badminton with two smashed arms last year. Good luck with your recovery!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Get well soon, what a nightmare. HHO is useful for company, kept me amused for hours last year when I was living in bed.

AmieeT

Visit site
Gosh that sounds terrifying. Glad you're still in the land of the living, I hope you recover well!

Echoing the above statements- follow Drs orders even if you get frustrated, doing too much too soon can hinder your healing process.

Anothe big hug.

Ax

Clare85

Visit site
Oh my goodness! How scary! Hope you're as ok as you can be under the circumstances and wishing you a very speedy recovery. Take care.

And yes, gas and air is pretty brilliant stuff!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Ouch, you poor thing, how long til you're up and about do they reckon? I'm with you on the gas and air too!

I'd love to ride a lovely grade A, but I'm not in the midlands, and only ever got to newcomers!

Clodagh

Visit site
Get well soon. Now remember, Ruby Walsh was riding winners about 4 weeks after doing his shoulder! (Joke - he is not normal). Take care.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Echo the others, look after yourself and dont try to rush, frustrating though it is. If you seriously are looking for a rider might it be worth pm'ing PaddyMonty on here? I know he rides for others.

3Beasties

Visit site
Ouch, that sounds really nasty :( Hope you make a good recovery!

If you're serious about someone else riding the horse the I could ask a friend who SJ's. Where are you and would he have to stay at your yard?

slumdog

Visit site
I'll know more about recovery today once they re-X-ray me but yeah I do need someone to ride him. He's 20 (he doesn't know it) and jumping 110-115 (but only cuz of my ability not his) I would let him move but only on recommendations obviously as he's my pride and joy.

I was absolutely gutted and really sorry for myself until I realised how lucky I was. The alternative doesn't bare thinking about. Although my optimistic (and mortified friend/owner) told me before they rang an ambulance to give it half an hour n I'd be able to jump up and walk about lol

misskk88

Visit site
MASSIVE OUCH!

Really hope you are ok... sounds nasty, but at least you are on the mend. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ooooh, sounds nasty.

I took a kick in the face a few years back and had some comprehensive dentistry. The upside was gas and air every fortnight for months. :)

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you. X

darli

Visit site
Just wanted to wish you luck - I broke my leg ( not open thankfully) and dislocated my ankle at the end of January. My mare slipped over going into the stable and clipped my foot with her hind (teach me to lead them in and not be lazy!) Listen to what you are told ask loads of questions particularly of physio - make sure you get some mine has been rather lacking and the surgeon has had to intervene. I was told to move the foot inside the cast as much as possible - check first but it did make a difference for me. I am walking well inside without a stick but take one when out just in case - handy for unruly dogs/kids etc. if you need any advice I am happy to pass it on - I was forever querying things with mine. Take care.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Been there trying a horse as well .
Dig deep and you will get through I learnt lots of stuff while I was laid up mainly who Jeremy Kyle and judge Judy where .
I to would get a good sports oriented physiotherapist on side .

pansymouse

Visit site
Yikes, v nasty; hope your recovery is swift and event free.

Don't get back on until your are confident you get off again; I smashed my legs got back on a 17.3 after three weeks and my legs buckles under me when I jumped off - idiot.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
That sounds horrible. Hope it heals well for you. Don't get addicted to daytime TV whilst you are laid up.

ebonyallen

Visit site
Ouch, sorry to read this I do hope that you get better soon. Take it easy and do not try to do too much even when you think you can, just take it slowly as frustrating as it is, will be better in the long run. You take care x

WombatStew

Visit site
Ouch poor you! Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Take comfort that you're in one of the best places you can be - QMC is brilliant and has a fab orthopaedic department! I spent two weeks there a few years ago for a riding accident where I broke both ankles, my tibia and dislocated an ankle and the surgeons we're amazing!