In my shoes, what what you do?

Mule

Visit site
If it was me I would load her to have the lump removed. If it was cancer I would have her operated on, but only if I could afford it. I wouldn't have chemo or radiotherapy or anything like that.

Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
Its location and previous history would seem to make cancer very unlikely.
She loads and travels and you're only 10mins down the road. If it takes a few hours to get her on the box so what? That won't hurt her or you, just do it.

honetpot

Visit site
I would ask how they intend to treat it, all the options and costs, If you can not afford removal or treatment what is the point. You will just know its X lump, if you are lucky. If the horse is not ridable after the op would you put to sleep any way.My main concern is it causing any discomfort, if it is you have to relieve that.

merlinsquest

Visit site
My mare had a lump, we monitored it & when it changed shape & grew bigger my vet removed it with sedation & local anaesthetic. Lump was sent to the lab & luckily benign. I did the aftercare, which wasn’t much really, they took the stitches out after 4 weeks & I just waited for it all to heal. Does she really need to go to hospital etc etc?

Peter7917

Visit site
Am I missing something. Why would you put a horse down for a lump which is causing the horse no trouble if you don't even know if its cancer?? So in answer to your question, I would pay to find out what the lump is. Only then would I feel like I'm in a position to make an informed decision on what to do with the horse next.

southerncomfort

Visit site
A scan can't tell if its cancer, only if it requires further investigation. Only a biopsy of the tissue can tell you for sure if the lump is cancerous (I know this due to having breast lumps biopsied).

Therefore it's cheaper and easier to go straight to biopsy. The biopsy will give you a quick answer without the need for further investigations.

I would not PTS unless confirmed as cancer.

Equi

Visit site
If youre really gone then you wont read this anyway, but i think you need to reevaluate. You're clearly stressed out about this all and probably taking things a little to heart.

People will always have opinions and views, thats the nature of a forum, but its a place you can learn/bounce ideas. As said, people have been through strange things and thus have the experience to know what to ask for/where to seek advice. If you want to find out whats wrong and help your horse, the people here are usually spot on about things. Some may have jumped the guns a bit and you have to just skip them..FWIW if it IS cancer, pts is a reasonable option.

I do hope you come back because i would like to know the outcome, as im sure many others would (including the random people who google stuff then come across a post like this and are desperate for an answer that may apply to their current situation) but if you really want to leave all you have to do is sign out, no need to get banned or the like.

Northern

Visit site
Many of you have interpreted my original post as you have chosen to and not how it's written. I cannot be bothered to explain myself any further. Those of you who have been helpful, thankyou to the rest of you, bollocks. I really don't give a toss. I've asked for my account to be deleted, which apparently can't be done so I'm just get myself banned instead, to the few genuine nice forum members, please don't think this is aimed at you, to the rest. flip you and goodbye

Don't know why you're flouncing, all of these reply have been very informative and would probably help you move forward with your decisions for Winnie. I think you really need to take a deep breath and calm down, and think about what is best for your horse. If this requires you to get off the internets for a while then so be it. I genuinely hope you can get her sorted, one way or the other.

blitznbobs

Visit site
ask Why a scan rather than a biopsy- a scam tells you far less than a biopsy and for me, a cancer of that size is likely to have spread - even subclinically - chemo/radio would be a no from me. Insured or not insured

TPO

Visit site
I think it's the mention of cancer that has caused the tangent. The lump is currently undiagnosed.

The OP has done what some of us do when worried and gone to worst case scenario. In this instance it's that the lump is cancerous and that the treatment and aftercare may compromise Winnie's quality of life so was asking what people who do if their horse was diagnosed with a cancerous lump.

I'm sure that once the vet has seen Winnie/the lump they will know whether the best course of action is to scan the lump or test however they see fit.

I hope FTB doesn't leave and can report back after a successful visit with the vet that hopefully puts their mind at ease.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think it's the mention of cancer that has caused the tangent. The lump is currently undiagnosed.

The OP has done what some of us do when worried and gone to worst case scenario. In this instance it's that the lump is cancerous and that the treatment and aftercare may compromise Winnie's quality of life so was asking what people who do if their horse was diagnosed with a cancerous lump.

I'm sure that once the vet has seen Winnie/the lump they will know whether the best course of action is to scan the lump or test however they see fit.

I hope FTB doesn't leave and can report back after a successful visit with the vet that hopefully puts their mind at ease.

I think people were literally just being helpful - the horse has had a lump for a long time that has never so much as had a needle stuck in it to give a clue what it is. FTB wrote an OP stressing about loading the horse to go for the vet so other posters (helpfully) suggested that she didn't need to load up just yet, as most diagnostics for a lump can be done with the horse at home. As it turns out, the OP seems more concerned about requesting something different from her vet than she is about loading the horse, so that's that. But people weren't to know that.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think people were literally just being helpful - the horse has had a lump for a long time that has never so much as had a needle stuck in it to give a clue what it is. FTB wrote an OP stressing about loading the horse to go for the vet so other posters (helpfully) suggested that she didn't need to load up just yet, as most diagnostics for a lump can be done with the horse at home. As it turns out, the OP seems more concerned about requesting something different from her vet than she is about loading the horse, so that's that. But people weren't to know that.

I get this, with Charlie Horse, he had a lump come up in his groin and the vet just said that as he was a teenager and grey, it was a melanoma. I was equally convinced that it was not, but it took me over a year and a change of vets before I could get someone to remove it as I requested. That was really hard to go against vets advice, as they were saying that with a melanoma even a biopsy could activate it and make it grow full steam ahead.

I insisted. and it was removed, a month later and it was healing. Sadly, in the year I waited to get a co-operative vet, the benign growth had grown considerably, down into a vein so on removal it was very messy, loads of blood, loads of fluid and generally a mess. Happily, once healed it was never a bother again.

My point is that it can be hard to disagree with a vet. I was told even at the point of action that if I was wrong I was shortening my horse's life. I have no idea why I was so sure, but even with my internal surety, it was hard to go against vet advice.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
A mare of mine had a hard lump between her ear and her eye - no pain - and while it may have grown (very slowly) over the 12 years I had her, we never knew what it was. She was PTS before Christmas - at 25. My vet had suggested a biopsy if I HAD to know - but I was not fussed (and either was she.) It MIGHT be a melanoma, and all a biopsy would tell you was if it was cancerous right now - not if it might become worse in the future. But a biopsy is not that expensive - I had one done just a few weeks ago on a young mare (also grey) a visit from the vet and it's sent away - about £90 for the histology report. And in that case, the vet removed it first - to put the buyer's mind at rest. On the yard, by my vet.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Many of you have interpreted my original post as you have chosen to and not how it's written. I cannot be bothered to explain myself any further. Those of you who have been helpful, thankyou to the rest of you, bollocks. I really don't give a toss. I've asked for my account to be deleted, which apparently can't be done so I'm just get myself banned instead, to the few genuine nice forum members, please don't think this is aimed at you, to the rest. flip you and goodbye

Having changed user names myself in the past, I would not normally do this, but you have been very rude here and I think people you have insulted have a right to know. I have information from more than one other forum user that this is a new user name for you after multiple others, one at least of which is associated with fabricated stories. If it is not true, then I profoundly apologise for spreading unfounded rumours.

Clearly your mare has a worrying lump, and I wish you both well with that and hope that a simple needle aspiration shows it to be harmless and it can be either removed or left alone.

I don't think anyone on this thread, and certainly me, has done anything except try to help you and your horse and save you money and both of you anxiety.

Anyone who starts a thread needs to realise that other people with similar problems will be reading that thread both now and in the future, and that people who have answered on this thread suggesting an alternative way forward have done so to help other readers in future and not just the original poster.

WelshD

Visit site
I'd also ask for a biopsy but if you want answers solely based on your OP then I'd get her scanned on the yard.
If there is a significant difference in cost and you have access to transport then I'd take the pain of loading her, one days stress to hopefully give her a good future really isn't that much to cope with.

The lump has been there some time if I remember correctly so I do think PTS is an unlikely outcome so I think I would investigate to the limits of financial comfort.

I've ignored your outburst, you are unlikely to stay away!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Having changed user names myself in the past, I would not normally do this, but you have been very rude here and I think people you have insulted have a right to know. I have information from more than one other forum user that this is a new user name for you after multiple others, one at least of which is associated with fabricated stories. If it is not true, then I profoundly apologise for spreading unfounded rumours.

Clearly your mare has a worrying lump, and I wish you both well with that and hope that a simple needle aspiration shows it to be harmless and it can be either removed or left alone.

I don't think anyone on this thread, and certainly me, has done anything except try to help you and your horse and save you money and both of you anxiety.

Anyone who starts a thread needs to realise that other people with similar problems will be reading that thread both now and in the future, and that people who have answered on this thread suggesting an alternative way forward have done so to help other readers in future and not just the original poster.

I'm pretty sure this poster will be roamin' back when she's Dun flouncing:rolleyes:.

tristar

Visit site
find out what it is, then in the light of that decide, she is not suffering so take some time for it to sink in and what is the best option, for you and her, hopefully and possibly it is benign.

if you are only ten minutes from Rvc could you not walk her there?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The RVC is situated at the confluence of the M25 and the A1 past South Mimms Service station, which is huge. Depending on which direction the OP would be coming from, access might be tricky. Before she came back from moving in with the girlfriend, I think she was the Barnet end, which is the tricky end.