In need of a spare time project... suggestions? (Not a pony!)

Ellietotz

Visit site
I am feeling a bit bored at the moment and need something to do when I'm not playing ponies or working. I normally get my mind tangled up in what I want to buy for my horse next or start thinking about changing things I don't need to so I would like a little project to do in my spare time. Not a pony though! Although, that would be fun...

Doesn't have to be cost free or profit making.

Any suggestions? :)

Fruitcake

Visit site
Are you crafty at all? If so, what about a horsey scrap book? There are some lovely 12x12” albums and scrapbooking papers. I did one for my sister’s wedding photos which took me months in my spare time.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Are you crafty at all? If so, what about a horsey scrap book? There are some lovely 12x12” albums and scrapbooking papers. I did one for my sister’s wedding photos which took me months in my spare time.

Yes, I like crafty things, doing up old stuff and making it new etc. Only basic things though. What would a scrap book consist of? Stupid question...

Pippity

Visit site
I do cross-stitch and cardmaking - and often combine the two! It has the added benefit that, by taking a stall at one or two craft fairs or Christmas markets, it more than covers the costs. (And saves me from being swamped in stuff that I've made and have run out of people to give to.)

supsup

Visit site
Depends on how you're inclined, but my on-and-off project since last winter has been to systematically de-clutter the house. It's almost the polar opposite of planning more horse shopping, but weirdly hits a similar vein. I went with a system that had me go through stuff by category (e.g. consider all clothing at once, no matter where it's tucked away in the house). I was pretty surprised by how comprehensive my horsey collection was/is, and how much of the stuff I really didn't need any more.
I put on a good audiobook/podcast and just got stuck in. Since I did the sorting by category, it didn't feel overwhelming or take too long and was actually really satisfying (made some money too, selling stuff at a tack sale, getting rid of old DVDs/CDs by selling in bulk online etc.). A nice side benefit is that I'm more aware of the things I already have, and am less inclined to bring more not-really-needed "stuff" into the house after all the effort of getting rid.

Firefly9410

Visit site
Yes, I like crafty things, doing up old stuff and making it new etc. Only basic things though. What would a scrap book consist of? Stupid question...

whatever you want it to! :) mine has rosettes in from past horses with photos, bits of tail etc of the horse that won it. Current horse photos are grouped either by yard or by horse show. I have dressage write up score sheets, certificates from Pony Club, pics of friends I made through horses, drawings I did of the horse. Not everything is stuck in as a square pic if the background was bad I cut out the horse and stuck that in alone. I labelled a lot of the pics along the edge with horse, venue and date. So if you want to do that you need to leave room in your display for it.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I've taken up knitting, mainly socks and blankets! I'm currently working on a massive blanket for winter but I suspect it'll take another two winters to actually finish :p.

Fruitcake

Visit site
They’re basically big, square pages with pretty paper with a selection of your photos, keepsakes etc arranged amongst lettering and quotes etc.
If you Google scrapbook layouts or do a Pinterest search on it, there are loads of ideas.

sychnant

Visit site
I make jewellery! I started in the winter when we had ridiculous amounts of snow and I couldn't/didn't want to ride.

I now sell online, do Craft Fairs, Artisan Markets and Village Shows, and am next on the list for a shop in the local Indoor Market, so it's actually making me some money back too!

pennyturner

Visit site
I enjoy repairing the odd bit of harness (it started with easy bits of re-stitching). It's 'crafty', and each job can usually be done in an evening, with the great benefit of being useful to me for years afterwards.