in need of some imagination.. JUMP IDEAS!

ridersince2002

Visit site
I dont jump over the winter, but it gives me a chance to think of some ideas for new jumps :)
Jumping 2ft9, but thats all daddys home made (SAFE) jumps go up too.
Any ideas on things i could use as safe jumps? Ive got poles so thats not an issue, but things like stacking up cardboad boxes or things? Any ideas welcome :)

Dont have enough money to splash out on some new jumps at the moment, and ive got all winter to find some bits and peices :)

Also, if anyone has any ideas on jumps i can get daddy to make for me they would be helpful too? (im a bit of a daddys girl :p )

smudge99

Visit site
Free things like oil drums, which comes in loads of sizes and tyres you can paint different colours. Pallets are great for the wood to make wings out of.

Liz

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Another fan of oil drums. You can put them upright and screw pole holders in them to use them as wings, or you can put three of them in a line on their sides to use them as a jump. Also, I know it's more of a xc thing, but you can string rubber tyres on a pole and make a great jump. Ask around at the local garages for beat up spare tyres.

ttt

Visit site
Rubber tyres stacked on top of each other as wings?
Jumps can be heightened or lowered by adding or removing the tyres.

moley087

Visit site
Again a bit more of XC thing but have used hay bales stacked on top of each other, nice variety of heights and widths. Use them as giant lego bricks as such... Also a good way to use up those bad weathered haybales you always get in a big load!

ridersince2002

Visit site
Ahh i forgot how useful tyres can be! But the feild is on a slight slope, and thats the only place weve got to jump or school (hence no jumping over winter) so wont the poles roll off without us touching them? :S I'll give it a go to see what happens :)

YES HAYBALES!! We git big round bales, but my friend is always getting rid of old nasty bales, so i could pinch a few off her :D Only worry is pony might stop and eat instead of jump :eek:

TGM

Visit site
You know the under bed storage drawers you can get? The plastic lids on them can be used as imitation water trays - particularly good if they are blue as mine are. Also you can prop them up against jump blocks to make good scary fillers.

Tarpaulins, plastic sheeting and even old paddling pools can also be use to simulate ditches and water trays, with poles used to weight the sides down.

I have a couple of surplus square pouffes made of brick shape leather rectangles stiched together that I use as wall fillers or as skinny jumps.

Garden centres can be a good source of material - flower troughs are good under jumps and you can use log roll to make natural fillers. The flower troughs can also be filled with soil and then branches stuffed in to make brush jumps.

Other things to go under jumps include plastic recycling boxes, water containers, stuffed plastic feed sacks, logs etc. Also made a filler out of rigid garden trellis attached to a batten. Also old flush doors can be painted to make fillers or walls.

We were lucky to buy some secondhand plastic jumps cheaply, but also got some old hop poles which we were able to cut down to make rustic jump poles.

diggerbez

Visit site
to make a water tray get yourself an old door and paint it blue- plonk under jump and 'voila' instant horse scarer :D

as someone else suggested garden centres and home bargains etc are a good source of things to jump over and to put around your jumps to scare horses. after xmas you might be able to get your hands on some bits of xmas trees to play with. pallets can be stuffed with bits of brush to make steeple chase type fences.
giant cuddly toys are also good fun to play with

fitzaud2

Visit site
if you know anyone that works for bt, (on the road), they might get you the poles that they are replacing, i have a friend that gives me the ones that they take down. tyres are great, bales, those blue plastic barrels, I even use the cones from roadworks under a pole to jump. I look at everything as a potential jump, the more they see, the better they'll go in the areana. My old mare, Cassie, (PTS in may aged 25), would jump a single blue barrell in the middle of the arena. My friend, who owns the arena, reckoned he was schooling the wrong horses, as my old mare was jumping better than his "show-jumping bred superstars".Just goes to show what showing them anything and being broke, can do for your horses schooling!!!!

Enfys

Visit site
You don't need much money to make decent jump standards, we make these from 4x4 posts. Very simple, very cheap and they can go as high as you like. Painting daft things on them is not obligatory - I get bored! Just seen what Alice the cat is doing, but can't be bothered to crop her out, sorry.
a02ab718.jpg
a1041b0a.jpg

As for fillers, lots of good suggestions, a couple of bales of straw are always good too.

Last edited:

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Oil drums are great, free and easily painted. Old wooden ladders are good fillers too. Recently a friend put some charity shop mirrors on a basic white filler and even the bomb-proofers (hate that term - all horses are flight animals) spooked: great experience for coming across weird fences when doing shows!

Dizzyblonde99

Visit site
Bucket, chairs, wheel barrows oil drums all make great tempary wings. You could pop a broom across to the top to use as a pole. You can drape rugs and coats etc to make fillers. What ever you can think of!!