In or out in summer storms??

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
We have a severe weather warning mainly overnight for rainfall, hail, thunder and lightning. We’ve had a few short sharp ones last couple of days but this looks fairly persistent (although always a bit hit and miss with storms). Mine don’t really have any major shelter in there summer paddock and as they are natives it’s not massive. Do you bring in or leave out???? It won’t be cold

dogatemysalad

Visit site
As long as the fencing is secure, my preference is to leave out. As horse on our yard was brought last night and freaked out, resulting in injuries that meant it had to be euthanized in the early hours. It was an exceptionally bad storm here.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
ours are generally out as normal unless it's properly biblical. whole yard has to go in or out, we aren't allowed to choose, YO makes the call.

My ones at home are out too, except the mare and foal who I stable overnight still at the moment - I've had them in a couple of times lately during the day for a few hours for foal to dry out as she got a bit cold.

zandp

Visit site
We had storms last night, mine were out and this morning even the wimpy QH/TB who normally shivers in any rain was absolutely fine. It was really warm overnight despite heavy rain, thunder and lightening.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Mine are tough and hardy and everything else will probably stay out. I’m Just not so keen when it’s at night time and not around.

PSD

Visit site
Mines in overnight, only because I’m paranoid about the grass at the moment having recently lost one to laminitis.

Auslander

Visit site
Out. My boys have a huge field shelter, a hardstanding pen with a woodchip section, and lots of hedge to shelter under.
We had biblical standard rain a couple of days ago - they both grazed perfectly happily in the middle of the field throughout

Gingerwitch

Visit site
ours are generally out as normal unless it's properly biblical. whole yard has to go in or out, we aren't allowed to choose, YO makes the call.

My ones at home are out too, except the mare and foal who I stable overnight still at the moment - I've had them in a couple of times lately during the day for a few hours for foal to dry out as she got a bit cold.
So if you were going to a show next-day would you be able to leave in then if it was an out night ?

ThreeWBs

Visit site
Depends on the storm.. if it's heavy rain and a few rumbles of thunder and some sheet lightening they stay out and don't seem to care.

If it's a big storm cell where I know there's going to be a lot of lightening, I bring in. They don't give a stuff about the flashing lights or even the really loud cracking thunder that shakes the barn. I feel calmer knowing they have some protection, especially after a horse less than a mile up the road was struck a few years ago whilst out in a relatively sheltered field.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
So if you were going to a show next-day would you be able to leave in then if it was an out night ?
yes there are exceptions obviously, box rest etc. but not generally for a bit of wet weather - if they stayed in overnight they would be in until the next night as they have to come in during the day. unless I thought the YO had really misjudged things I just go along with it.

I don't leave in the day before a show anyway though, I prefer to stick to their normal routine and just get up earlier to clean them up ;)

Muddywellies

Visit site
Out unless there's lightening. A friends horse was killed by lightening so it scares the bejeezus out of me now so whenever I can, I bring in if there's lightening.

NLPM

Visit site
Mine will be out and they won't go near the shelters in a storm.
Having rushed out in horrendous weather on numerous occasions, I have always found them grazing in the middle of the field or very occasionally standing quietly by a hedge looking across the field.

Can only assume they hate the noise of heavy rain and wind on the roof (even though the roof is secure!). They will spin like tops in their stables (if I can get them in - if a storm has already started they will refuse to go near the buildings). I also have a fear of lightning causing a fire/branches falling/wind damaging stables and them all being trapped inside. I appreciate injuries can happen anywhere though, and am so sorry for those of you who've lost horses in poor weather.

C1airey

Visit site
Out. The new pony is out in it currently, but I expect a Dales to be able to cope with rain! The WB will go out overnight, but he’s a tough cookie too. The field has a huge hedge with overhanging trees along one side, so plenty of natural shelter. Our yard is on the side of a hill, with the buildings at the top and fields below. If lightning were to strike, I’d expect it to hit the buildings before anything in the field.

9tails

Visit site
Once they're out, they're out. Occasionally I'll put a sheet on if it's cold and wet, but the horses don't care. My horse is very unhappy inside if there's inclement weather.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Interesting to hear of those horses who hate being stabled in bad weather - are they usually happy enough to be stabled when it’s more settled?

My neds regard their stables as their safe spaces, and will drag me in during bad weather if I go to catch them in. I was particularly glad of that the night the Canada goose brought down the power lines in the adjoining field a few weeks ago - they were very upset until I got them in, then they calmed right down even with all the lights and kerfuffle of the repair teams traipsing across their paddocks. They needed to be in and out of the way, I didn’t have anywhere else safe while all that went on.

As to in or out during a lightning storm, the only storm related equine fatality that I know of was out during the storm, he broke a leg.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Out tonight but with a rain sheet on. His respiratory issues mean that he’s better off out but there isn’t much shelter for him and given the lung damage I’d rather he didn’t get cold and wet.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Mine are generally settled in or out but one they are out for spring they very rarely come in. Plus as mentioned above one of mine has a bit of cough so would be better out.
not sure why I’m so undecided ?‍♀️ it’s the first bad weather in absolutely ages so not used to it lol

Griffin

Visit site
Out. The field is large and although there are some trees, I know that the mares will go to stand by the hedge (away from the trees) if they want a bit of shelter. I won't put a run on mine because it is so hot, even at 8pm.