In or out in summer storms??

Callieann

Visit site
Mine are out, no rugs as it's very warm and no wind. Did go out to look at them last night as it was raining stair rods but they were happily grazing in middle of field

9tails

Visit site
Interesting to hear of those horses who hate being stabled in bad weather - are they usually happy enough to be stabled when it’s more settled?

Mine is fine during settled weather, even if all others are out. But if it's really tiddling down she's not happy at all, I tried to be nice last week and she was furious.

chocolategirl

Visit site
We have a severe weather warning mainly overnight for rainfall, hail, thunder and lightning. We’ve had a few short sharp ones last couple of days but this looks fairly persistent (although always a bit hit and miss with storms). Mine don’t really have any major shelter in there summer paddock and as they are natives it’s not massive. Do you bring in or leave out???? It won’t be cold
Out, always out ?

NLPM

Visit site
Interesting to hear of those horses who hate being stabled in bad weather - are they usually happy enough to be stabled when it’s more settled?

Mine don't currently have stables as such, just a shelter each which can be closed off, but previously all bar one have stabled without issue. The only one that ever showed any distress was stabled 24/7 over winter as a youngster (along with the whole yard at the time) and he seems to be resentful of them for long periods now. He'll tolerate it happily for 'jobs', e.g. farrier visits etc., but doesn't want to be in there overnight. I think some of it is being separated from the herd to be honest, as I can shut them all in one shelter together indefinitely.

None of them use a shelter in a storm, though, but they will in 'normal' rain. They all 'bring themselves in' when it's hot and sunny!

Equi

Visit site
Usually in because I have no field shelter bar trees. But My stables are indoor and well sheltered you can barely hear the storm and so long as the rain doesn’t flood (again lol) were good. My road can flood and in the past cars have gone into my hedge because they misjudge the puddle, which I don’t think my littles would appreciate on a cold dark night. Big lad is out as yard is out but I think if it were to be proper bad they would be in, yo makes the call.

Rosemary28

Visit site
In because I have to be really careful about grass intake anyway. Although he has a big pen rather than a stable and will probably stand out in the rain anyway!

Floofball

Visit site
As long as the fencing is secure, my preference is to leave out. As horse on our yard was brought last night and freaked out, resulting in injuries that meant it had to be euthanized in the early hours. It was an exceptionally bad storm here.

That is so sad to read ? obviously just fate but sometimes us horse owners can’t do right whatever we choose to do. Feel so sorry for horse and owner ?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally if Im home and a thunder storm starts I'll run out and put my horses in. A few years ago, our postwomans horse was killed by lighting while out grazing and thats always freaked me out. I'll normally stay out with them while it goes over, just to make sure they dont freak out or do anything dumb (I'd let them out if they were threatening to jump out for example). I was standing in a stable a few years ago doing this and a huge bolt hit right in front of us (I think the water trough) - absolute blinding light, all horses immediately started trembling all over, it was terrifying.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I really worry about lightening because mine are high up. They have the choice whether to be in or out and generally put themselves in if it's nasty, but they stayed out in the lightening yesterday evening. We have overhead power lines, though, and I always hope it will go for that instead of a horse.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
We didn’t have storms really overnight but it absolutely chucked it down for hours. We had a bit of flooding. They all looked a bit miserable this am.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Not had storms here yet but I think there's one forecast for Sunday evening. My preference is in as all my horses have always been calm cookies in their stables even during storms and fireworks. But I don't have stables here yet. So I'll be bringing them in to the mooch pen and shelter area and probably putting hay and haylage in the shelter to encourage them to stay under cover. They don't seem that worried by wind, rain and load noises so the danger to then is from lightening strike rather than a panic injury. Hopefully anyway.

I'll probably end up sat out in the shelter with them anyway!