In response to Table Dancer - Show Jump Lesson today

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Ok at TD's request here is a report of our lesson this afternoon.

To give you some background this has never been Pip's easy phase and we have recently taken the step up to jumping Intermediates eventing and Foxhunter show jumping. For me this is stepping out of my comfort zone particularly with a horse that is not as naturally careful as Sarnie was. At Newcomers / Novice whist I don't find it easy it is a level I regularly compete at, whereas with Intermediate /Fox I believe you are at the level that the rider can't make any major mistakes and get away with it as it is too big 1 ;) . I ride into fences thinking I mustn't miss, mustn't miss...................... and guess what :eek: I miss :(

Pip is quite sensitive and has had something in her past scare her. She is terrified of jumps fallen over, odd things with poles or anything majorily odd. This means we can't use things like v poles or similar and most of her learning comes from straightforward jumping.

Recently I have been having an issue with her coming back to me too much and almost bouncing on the spot certainly not taking the length of stride she should do.

Today's lesson we were lucky enough to have somewhere on grass to work with my show jumping trainer, have to say the ground was perfect. We started off on the flat trying to get her to work into the bridle more and get her hocks engaged. We used a lot of canter to walk - walk pirouette - canter to really get her engaged and through.

In the jumping we worked on a more forward tempo but still into the bridle rather than long and flat. What happens is on landing she can really come back to me rather than keep up the tempo. It doesn't help that at 11 she doesn't have the flying change in her armoury :eek: (my excuse is she only came to me at 9 and it has taken 2 years to establish a counter canter!) We used a pole to help her get a change after the fence rather than bring her back.

As soon as we started on the related distance she came back to me too much and added a stride so had to really focus on landing and riding forwards. In the combination I then found I was riding too forward and not keeping the contact so allowing her to flatten. A very fine line needed - forward to the hand but always in the correct ratio to give the right balance.

Hopefully the video below will give you pictures of what we worked on. As I say for Pip the improvement has to come from me learning to ride her better.

[youtube]Q010BTXfHjg[/youtube]

Last edited:

Charmin

Visit site
Welp at the size of the fences :eek: I'm not really qualified to comment but she looks a cracker, and I'm very envious of your seat!

dafthoss

Visit site
Those fences are blommin massive! Interesting watching, I'm having similar issues at the moment with 'must not miss' thoughts, all be it with much smaller fences :cool:.

Gryfiss

Visit site
You ride lovely and a lovely horse

I may be completely wrong in saying this but you look like you could do with softening your seat a bit more and riding a little bit lighter at the moment it looks like your over riding a bit .

I know its hard as she needs to be more forward but that's the only thing i could see to comment on it may make her lighten and open up a bit more.

I am only an amature though so like I said could be completely wrong :D

dieseldog

Visit site
I feel your pain - I do the exact same thing. My horse is quite sensitive to my body position and I can stop her going forwards just thinking it. I find it really hard to get her forward enough so helpful video, I also have ones of trainers yelling at me to move!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
You ride lovely and a lovely horse

I may be completely wrong in saying this but you look like you could do with softening your seat a bit more and riding a little bit lighter at the moment it looks like your over riding a bit .

I know its hard as she needs to be more forward but that's the only thing i could see to comment on it may make her lighten and open up a bit more.

I am only an amature though so like I said could be completely wrong :D

It is so difficult to get the balance right :rolleyes:

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I feel your pain - I do the exact same thing. My horse is quite sensitive to my body position and I can stop her going forwards just thinking it. I find it really hard to get her forward enough so helpful video, I also have ones of trainers yelling at me to move!

I need a recording when I am in the ring!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
She's lovely - what a tidy back end over the fences! :D

Really enjoyed reading your report too. Since I don't get to jump much myself anymore I like jumping vicariously through others, and your instructor is great.

Lyle

Visit site
Really great report S_J :)

You both look like you were getting more confident in each other as the lesson went on. She's quite a courageous little jumper isn't she?

I'm going through the same mind games atm :eek: When I tell myself 'don't miss' I do! Or if I try to be proactive and really concentrate I miss again :rolleyes:

The step up is so hard, especially on horses that haven't competed over those heights and are looking at us for support. Ahh jumping! :D

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
What great weather and ground. P is looking very well - and with some condition that befits a showjumper? :p

Particularly liking the dog that at the beginning throws itself on the ground and plays dead! :D

Yes I like her with a little more weight but suspect as I pick up the fast work it will come off. The dog was Pip's amesake another Pip :D

James6

Visit site
Really useful video, thanks.

Were you using studs? Just wondering if you used them for schooling or just for comps?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Really useful video, thanks.

Were you using studs? Just wondering if you used them for schooling or just for comps?

I did put studs in although the ground was nearly good enough not to. Schooling is all about confidence building and this can easily be spoilt with a slip so I go for better safe than sorry.

TableDancer

Visit site
Thank youuuuu :) :)

You and Pip are looking really good, and the canter definitely looks better with more purpose :)

I think it is very easy when the fences go up a bit for our tension to manifest itself as tightness through the arm, and this is what makes them come back at us, you can see it happen a couple of times in that last round. I have to repeat to myself over and over "ride forward" or "hands belong to him" and that helps me. I am also doing a lot of work at the moment with clients with canter poles a fixed distance from the fence, so they have to get their stride right to the pole, then just ride a level stride pattern to the fence - usually four strides. Then you know that if you are adding between the pole and the fence, you have over shortened - you could do the same thing after a fence to check that aspect too?

Please keep them coming :D Are you going to Salperton?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site

You and Pip are looking really good, and the canter definitely looks better with more purpose :)

I think it is very easy when the fences go up a bit for our tension to manifest itself as tightness through the arm, and this is what makes them come back at us, you can see it happen a couple of times in that last round. I have to repeat to myself over and over "ride forward" or "hands belong to him" and that helps me. I am also doing a lot of work at the moment with clients with canter poles a fixed distance from the fence, so they have to get their stride right to the pole, then just ride a level stride pattern to the fence - usually four strides. Then you know that if you are adding between the pole and the fence, you have over shortened - you could do the same thing after a fence to check that aspect too?

Please keep them coming :D Are you going to Salperton?

Yes must dig out that exercise again used it quite a lot in the past but not so much recently :rolleyes:

Yes Salperton on Saturday, hope we have not bitten off more than we can chew!!

Horsemad12

Visit site

I am also doing a lot of work at the moment with clients with canter poles a fixed distance from the fence, so they have to get their stride right to the pole, then just ride a level stride pattern to the fence - usually four strides. Then you know that if you are adding between the pole and the fence, you have over shortened - you could do the same thing after a fence to check that aspect too?

Thanks for the report, interesting lesson and you can see the improvement as you go along. I am also currently working on supporting the front end without loosing the big canter - hard work!

You mention Pip is very scopy which I guess allows you to get away with it at times which is good for the future!!

The above exercise of one of my favourites when working at home as I checks I have the canter without someone on the ground.

Good luck for your next run. The thought of intermediate SJing makes me go pale!!!!