IN TWO MINDS

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Im from Northern Ireland, and I am looking for my first horse. However im really starting to lose heart in it all. I placed ads in other places and got loads of replies, went to see horses, some were just perfect for me. Then the seller goes "Oh I just dont know if i could part with X" and its back to square one with a heavy heart.

Okay so im looking for a nice quiet cob (im not the lightest of people) and most of them will be family pets really, but why do these people reply to my ad if they arent sure!!! Its not just one, ive had about 12 in the last few weeks. Or I get ones phoning saying "Well i know hes smaller/taller than you wanted and hes a fine build etc, but you would love him"

I want something quiet to build my confidence up, something i can plod about on that i know im not holding back by not competiting on.

Im really in two minds about advertising here as im tired of being let down!

I want a horse now lol.

Tia

Visit site
Just keep scanning adverts - eventually you will find the right one. Sometimes it takes a while and often when you are least expecting it. Good luck and remember "good things come to those who wait".
smile.gif

SSM

Visit site
You're not actually allowed to advertise on the actual forum, but you could place a wanted ad in the H&H classifieds.

Keep looking there will be one out there for you!

4whitesocks

Visit site
I know you're in NI but have you tried www.irishequimarkets.com - I went to see a few from there when I was horse hunting in the spring....what about contacting a local riding club? or even a local pony club?

THE BHS person in NI is really really nice (are you a member?) she'd be a good contact

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
I didnt advertise in the forum stinkerstonkersmum, was only saying that I feel let down.

Have got everything ready just need the horse now lol.

I went to see a lovely horse last saturday, and asked if I could have him on loan for a few weeks, however it was refused. With this being my first horse, i really would prefer one that I could get on loan first in view to buy.

Looking for one that is over 10, around 15.2-16.2hh, heavy build cob. Any ideas on max price, at the end of the day I dont want to be ripped off.

Claireg9

Visit site
Mmmmm well yoiu might struggle to get one on trial for a few months, so either look for loan or buy straight up!
But there must be loads like what your looking for, we have one for sale at our yard, similar to your description, but were in GB.
Dont think Stinkerstonkers mum was suggesting you had advertised on here merely that you had said you wee thinking about it, think she was thinking you meant on her the forum not on here the H & H website!
Good luck and dont give up x

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Ooops sorry, no meant that I was going to place it in the classifieds - sorry.

I guess my horse is out there waiting for me, my advertisements did say "Wanted on loan, in view to buy" but many called up and said that they would prefer that I paid now.

And dont get me started on the dealers lol

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mmmmm well yoiu might struggle to get one on trial for a few months

[/ QUOTE ] I have to agree with Claire here - I know I would never consider allowing a first-time owner a trial period.....the risk of the horse being injured/something being done incorrectly, would be too great in my opinion.

K9Wendy

Visit site
Buying your first horse is a bit like having your first baby, you just go... OMG what have I done, you feel thrown in at the deep in and totally overwhelmed by the responsibility. When we bought our daughter her first horse last year the inital excitement soon disappeared to be replace with doubts and worries. I think if it had been a loan pony we would have given up within a few weeks and likely never gone back there! I think a loan pony would simply have made it too easy to given in.

If you are SURE you are 100% ready to commit to a horse both financially & timewise then continue your search and you will be rewarded. As others have said most people wouldn't consider letting you have a trial period, not because you are a first time owner but simply it's not a great idea, loads of liability issues.

Do you have a stable/field ready for new horse? If you go to view a horse without saying where it is going to live, what you intend to do, or even give the impression you haven't got a clue about horse ownership seller won't touch you with a barge pole (I'm not saying you are). Are you taking your instructor/YO/horsey friend with you to viewings?

This time of the year a lot of riding schools will be reducing stock, have you looked in Farm Week? There have been lots of sales there lately. Also ask at your riding school if they would be willing to let you loan a horse until Easter, they may appreciate that. Have you put a wanted ad in Farm Week?

Good luck..

kelsi

www.vkky.iwarp.com
and if what K9Wendy doesn't help why don't you approach some of the animal rescue centres / sanctuary's as they may have something suitable. It may be a trek for you to get there but try Crosskennan Lane Animal Sanctuary just outside Antrim. And if they don't have anything suitable they may know someone who will.

Vkky