Inconsiderate road users!

Nayumi1

Visit site
So last night we were riding up to our lesson, which a section of it requires us to ride on a main road. We crossed over to the far side of the main road and began setting off towards the arena. Behind us was 3 young lads on motorbikes, we signaled for them to slow down, which they did to an extent. The lady I was riding with put her hand up to say thank you. Either the lad misunderstood or they just found it funny but decided to rev the engines as loud as they could and did wheelies right next to the horses and continued doing it up the main road. The horses were spooked, i yelled a lot of profanities and it was all round and awful situation.

It was safe to say that my lesson was awful. I was tense, the horse was tense and we just never settled. I suppose the positive is I can only improve from there!

Later on after the lesson we reported the incident to the police who are looking into it. It also seems from the local facebook group that one of the lads has been knocked of his bike and taken to hospital.

Its incidents like that which just make riding an awful experience!

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I'm just glad you're all OK! I occasionally hack out on a busy country road (hacking terrifies me so believe me I don't do this often) but there's a quiet single track road which leads onto a track to a wind farm so I aim for this. Unfortunately one of the farmers who has a farm off this single track road clearly hates horses/horse riders. We have been harrassed three times by this person. He gets so angry I am worried he will lose the plot entirely one day and injure us. I do wear a head cam when I can remember unfortunately 2 out of the 3 times he has had a go I've not had it. Then the time I had it unfortunately it was windy so you couldn't hear him! Hopefully one day we'll get enough footage to convince this horrible wee man his threatening behaviour is unwarranted and unacceptable.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm just glad you're all OK! I occasionally hack out on a busy country road (hacking terrifies me so believe me I don't do this often) but there's a quiet single track road which leads onto a track to a wind farm so I aim for this. Unfortunately one of the farmers who has a farm off this single track road clearly hates horses/horse riders. We have been harrassed three times by this person. He gets so angry I am worried he will lose the plot entirely one day and injure us. I do wear a head cam when I can remember unfortunately 2 out of the 3 times he has had a go I've not had it. Then the time I had it unfortunately it was windy so you couldn't hear him! Hopefully one day we'll get enough footage to convince this horrible wee man his threatening behaviour is unwarranted and unacceptable.

Report him to the local police if you know who it is. We had a farmer at one time who used to take delight in scaring horses passing his farm and the police went to visit him and warned him and things much improved.

Nasicus

Visit site
I can sympathise, had similar happen to me soon after I got my mare. Going down hill far from home, three yobs on bikes saw me, sped up, revved as loud as they could etc, mare bolted about 300m down the hill at a gallop, with me clinging on, managing to pull her up eventually. Reported to the police and the BHS, but without a license plate or footage, not much they could do. I bought a helmet camera after that. Typically it's always been the times I've forgotten the camera since that incidents have happened, so I make a point of not riding unless I'm wearing it now. Took a while before my poor girl was okay with motorcycles again, and for the most part motorcyclists we meet are respectful. It's usually the groups of young lads who've only passed their CBT on 50cc scrambler type bikes that cause issues.

Nayumi1

Visit site
I can sympathise, had similar happen to me soon after I got my mare. Going down hill far from home, three yobs on bikes saw me, sped up, revved as loud as they could etc, mare bolted about 300m down the hill at a gallop, with me clinging on, managing to pull her up eventually. Reported to the police and the BHS, but without a license plate or footage, not much they could do. I bought a helmet camera after that. Typically it's always been the times I've forgotten the camera since that incidents have happened, so I make a point of not riding unless I'm wearing it now. Took a while before my poor girl was okay with motorcycles again, and for the most part motorcyclists we meet are respectful. It's usually the groups of young lads who've only passed their CBT on 50cc scrambler type bikes that cause issues.

Yeah that pretty much describes the bikes these guys were on too. It’s a shame the small few have to ruin it! I will definitely invest in a helmet cam as I’d hate to think what could of happened in that scenario.

SEL

Visit site
I took my green horse out on the roads yesterday with my YO on a bombproof horse. We met pretty much everything possible despite trying to choose a quiet time of the day and I was annoyed by how many people were breaking the 30mph speed limit and didn't even attempt to slow down for horses. One of those was a horsebox!

Very glad to have a pony with us who really couldn't be bothered to spook at anything.

I was thinking a headcam too.

Sprat

Visit site
You poor thing, that must have been horrendous.

I had a similar situation about a month ago, a yob on an illegal motor cross bike sped up at my hand signal and came so close he clipped my stirrup. Cue my mare rearing up and bolting in the other direction.

She is now petrified of all vehicles and hacking has pretty much become a no go as I have no off road hacking!

Very frustrating for you, and your poor horse!

Nayumi1

Visit site
You poor thing, that must have been horrendous.

I had a similar situation about a month ago, a yob on an illegal motor cross bike sped up at my hand signal and came so close he clipped my stirrup. Cue my mare rearing up and bolting in the other direction.

She is now petrified of all vehicles and hacking has pretty much become a no go as I have no off road hacking!

Very frustrating for you, and your poor horse!

Oh that is so awful, it really is not fair on the horses. I would imagine the situation for yourself was horrifying.

We were lucky as I ride a 17hh horse and can be quite lazy so didn't rear but did side hop and go to bolt. Not something we want on a very busy road! The lady who did our lesson afterwards also reported it to the police because it could of very easily been one of her younger classes!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have £30 bullet cameras of eBay, one front and one rear facing.

Last week I was in my narrow lane and a guy tried to come past without slowing down. I moved the horse even more into the centre of the road and it was very clear that he was going to try and force me over. Then I saw his eyes clock the camera on my hat, and he slowed and pulled over.

They're worth their weight in gold at times.

Sprat

Visit site
I have £30 bullet cameras of eBay, one front and one rear facing.

Last week I was in my narrow lane and a guy tried to come past without slowing down. I moved the horse even more into the centre of the road and it was very clear that he was going to try and force me over. Then I saw his eyes clock the camera on my hat, and he slowed and pulled over.

They're worth their weight in gold at times.

My husband keeps going on at me to buy a camera, I wasn't sure it would make much difference but glad to hear it's had a positive impact for you!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Sorry to hear this, there are some right idiots on the road.

Having said that I've also seen my fair share of inconsiderate horse riders too. As it happens I drove past one last night, who was riding a very nice horse up the road from a 40mph into a 30mph zone. She had not a scrap of hi viz on either horse or herself and didn't thank me for waiting until it was clear to overtake.I was certain I hadn't seen her thank me but then as I drove off I thought I would give her the benefit of the doubt and saw two cars behind me also overtake her slowly and wide as I had done and she never thanked them either, with neither her hand or a nod of her head.

It is riders like that that give the rest of us a bad name I'm afraid.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site