Increased Crib biting

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
Why?
Ok, Benj is a crib biter/ wind sucker, but he doesn't do it all the time. Generally after treats etc but recently he has started doing it in the feild.
Up until last Saturday he has been living out 24/7 and due to health reasons he has been more or less out of work. I have been putting hay in the feild for him as I was worried he wasn't getting enough fibre, but it has still continued.
Do you think he is bored/stressed?
I am in the school of thought that if he is stressed, let him releive it as opposed to trying to stop it?
Anyone have any ideas?

P x

Tufty

Visit site
stop the treats completely it will take a few weeks but its the craving for sugar that does it - bit like smoking put him into cold turkey !

PaddyMonty

Visit site
My lad certainly gets more cribby when he isn't worked. Dont think it is boredom though in his case, more a case of exercise helps relieve tension in him.

BID

Visit site
My 26 year old pony crib bit all his life and always after eating. Feedmark do a product that is like our version of indigestion tablets etc, it comes in powder form and you just mix it into their feed. Can't remember what it is called now but it almost stopped my boy cribbing. Some people think that some horses that crib have gut problems / ulcer and this product really helped my boy. I thought he was just being greedy and cribbing as a habit but I genuinely believe he was in some discomfort. The last couple of years of his life were almost crib free and I am happy to think that it was because he was more comfortable in his gut.

RLF

Visit site
My mare does it in the field sometimes,
the owner put creosote (sp) on the fence arrrggg
shocked.gif

moved her into another field with electric fencing
isnt that stuff illegal now?????

Nari

Visit site
Mine cribs more when he's out of work or only in light work. It seems if he's working he's more relaxed, has a better appetite & is a generally less stressy nicer person to be around. He also tends to crib more in the field than the stable - so much for turnout being the answer!

By all means try supplements but I've had no joy with any of them that I've tried & some made him worse!

sally2008

Visit site
Dec is exactly the same P. Crib bites / wind-sucks at feed time (if the door is shut) or if fed treats when in his box. He does it more when bored too.

Like you I'd rather let him do it if it makes him feel better but try and remove the cause. I'm sure Benj will go back to normal once he's working again.