Increasing sale price

teddypops

Visit site
I’m currently looking for another pony and have found one that seems to be exactly what I am after and within budget. I messaged to arrange a viewing which, with Christmas, work, visitors etc will be in 12 days time. The seller messaged back to say that would be fine, but to be aware that the price will increase due to the fact they are doing more with her every day. Is this the norm? I could understand this if the pony had just been backed and was now being ridden, but how much improvement can realistically be made to an 8yo in 12 days?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If the horse is on an accelerated learning program then yes, I would expect it to increase in value.

But, that would be in a horse doing new stuff. For example, I had one that had not competed for a long time, and then went to 3 shows in 3 weeks and by the third one was jumping double clears.

For the value to increase I would expect an audit trail-able increase in ability. Ours was doing BS, so we had videos etc of her progress, with a comp record to back that up.

If it were a potential hunter then hinting 3 times in 3 weeks, with video, would make that horse worth more to me. Not least in both cases as the horse had remained sound.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The answer to that, of course, is to say, please don't turn away any other prospective purchaser, as I am not guaranteed to buy when I have viewed but do let me know if the pony is sold before my appointment to view. If no-one else has viewed/bought, I certainly wouldn't be offering over the original asking price (if that).

teddypops

Visit site
If the horse is on an accelerated learning program then yes, I would expect it to increase in value.

But, that would be in a horse doing new stuff. For example, I had one that had not competed for a long time, and then went to 3 shows in 3 weeks and by the third one was jumping double clears.

For the value to increase I would expect an audit trail-able increase in ability. Ours was doing BS, so we had videos etc of her progress, with a comp record to back that up.

If it were a potential hunter then hinting 3 times in 3 weeks, with video, would make that horse worth more to me. Not least in both cases as the horse had remained sound.
Horse has been advertised for several months at the same price, so I find it odd that as soon as a viewing is mentioned the price is increasing!

mandyroberts

Visit site
I expect that they want to hurry you up. Rightly or wrongly, I would dismiss someone who couldn't come for a viewing for 12 days as a dreamer or a timewaster.
Agree - when I was viewing I could usually be there next day and it was seller who delayed. Although the horse I bought was 4 hours away and it was 3 days before I could get there as I wanted to see twice so it had to be an overnight stop for me and my trainer

teddypops

Visit site
Agree - when I was viewing I could usually be there next day and it was seller who delayed. Although the horse I bought was 4 hours away and it was 3 days before I could get there as I wanted to see twice so it had to be an overnight stop for me and my trainer
So you are saying the seller thinks I’m a time waster and has put the price up?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Chancers pure and simple. I would do as others have suggested - polite email that you would only be interested at original price and then you obviously cant guarantee you will buy it until after you have viewed and trialed the horse, and could they kindly let you know if this stipulation doesn't meet their requirements as you dont want to waste your time and theirs as you have others lined up to look at.

If 12 short days will alter the price significantly then I would have thought they would have waited that 12 short days and THEN advertised surely?

teddypops

Visit site
Chancers pure and simple. I would do as others have suggested - polite email that you would only be interested at original price and then you obviously cant guarantee you will buy it until after you have viewed and trialed the horse, and could they kindly let you know if this stipulation doesn't meet their requirements as you dont want to waste your time and theirs as you have others lined up to look at.

If 12 short days will alter the price significantly then I would have thought they would have waited that 12 short days and THEN advertised surely?
I agree and yes, that’s what I will do!

gallopingby

Visit site
Buying/selling horses these days is fraught for everyone. The horse is for sale today and it would be reasonable to go and view asap. Once viewed a deposit can be left subject to vetting and at this stage I wouldn't expect the price to alter. No guarantee though of the costs which may be incurred in keeping for another 12 days - thats after Christmas and presumably the seller is looking to sell asap. If kept on a training/livery yard presumably the experience and costs of keep will increase over the Christmas period and it would be reasonable for this to be reflected in the sale price. Is the price included in the current ad? If out competing and with high success level then its reasonable for the price to go up. Maybe the hidden remark in the post is the comment that the OP has found a horse "within budget" - this could indicate priced for a quick sale. Sadly there are far too many horses for sale at the moment, many of them sold cheaply because the owners can't afford to continue the livery costs, the sale price should be a reflection of the value of the animal, not the offset costs of running on because of failure to sell.
Bottom line - if interested enough you make the time to go and view, otherwise take the risk that the horse will be sold but expect the seller to notify if the horse is sold prior to arranged viewing. No chancing about!

teddypops

Visit site
Buying/selling horses these days is fraught for everyone. The horse is for sale today and it would be reasonable to go and view asap. Once viewed a deposit can be left subject to vetting and at this stage I wouldn't expect the price to alter. No guarantee though of the costs which may be incurred in keeping for another 12 days - thats after Christmas and presumably the seller is looking to sell asap. If kept on a training/livery yard presumably the experience and costs of keep will increase over the Christmas period and it would be reasonable for this to be reflected in the sale price. Is the price included in the current ad? If out competing and with high success level then its reasonable for the price to go up. Maybe the hidden remark in the post is the comment that the OP has found a horse "within budget" - this could indicate priced for a quick sale. Sadly there are far too many horses for sale at the moment, many of them sold cheaply because the owners can't afford to continue the livery costs, the sale price should be a reflection of the value of the animal, not the offset costs of running on because of failure to sell.
Bottom line - if interested enough you make the time to go and view, otherwise take the risk that the horse will be sold but expect the seller to notify if the horse is sold prior to arranged viewing. No chancing about!
The price is on the advert. The horse has been advertised for several months at the same price.

If you advertise a horse for sale, the cost of its keep until it sells is irrelevant surely. If it is, then every horse for sale would have its price increase weekly! It is not competing at a high level.

What do you mean by the hidden remark? Do people not look for horses within their budget? It’s not a really cheap horse!

I am going to look at it as soon as I can but unfortunately I cant take a day off work at such short notice and it’s dark by 4pm then it’s Christmas. I haven’t asked seller to keep horse on hold for me, I have asked to view if horse is still available. I don’t really care if it’s sold before I get there, there are other horses around, my question was, is it the norm to increase the price on an 8 year old in 12 days (it hasn’t increased in the months it has been advertised so far).

be positive

Visit site
The price is on the advert. The horse has been advertised for several months at the same price.

If you advertise a horse for sale, the cost of its keep until it sells is irrelevant surely. If it is, then every horse for sale would have its price increase weekly! It is not competing at a high level.

What do you mean by the hidden remark? Do people not look for horses within their budget?

I am going to look at it as soon as I can but unfortunately I cant take a day off work at such short notice and it’s dark by 4pm then it’s Christmas. I haven’t asked seller to keep horse on hold for me, I have asked to view if horse is still available.

It sounds to me as if they have had little interest in the time it has been for sale and hoped the rather silly suggestion of a price increase would get you there sooner, in reality unless they do have plans to compete and those competitions are successful, the best they can hope for is that you put in an offer near the current asking price, if they then choose to turn it down that is up to the owners.

If I were you I would arrange a viewing, phone the day before to confirm the price and decide then if I will go, if they do put it up be clear why you are not going to bother and look elsewhere, time wasting works both ways, they will be wasting your time as well as their own if they wait until you are there to move the goalposts so be clear before you go.

They will have to pay to keep the horse until it is sold and even if you saw it tomorrow by the time it has been vetted you may not be able to pick it up for a week, would they expect to add a weeks livery to the price.

gallopingby

Visit site
Teddypops- I agree its entirely reasonable to say you'd like to view the horse but aren't able to do so for x days. Entirely up to the seller to decide what to do, but if they have made plans (on the basis of future activity) its also reasonable to redraft the ad with additional information. I hope you are successful whatever the outcome.

ihatework

Visit site
I wouldn’t get drawn into trying to mind read on what game they are playing.

Book in a viewing on the day that suits you, at the original advertised price & say you will call the before to confirm. They either accept or they don’t. If the horse is sold before then that’s your issue.

mandyroberts

Visit site
So you are saying the seller thinks I’m a time waster and has put the price up?
Possibly yes. But I would arrange a viewing on the basis of a price - the original I would suggest.
I arranged viewings having already agreed a reduced price - I didn't buy anyway but that's a case of issues I found when I saw the horse in the flesh

teddypops

Visit site
Possibly yes
Why? A time waster wouldn’t turn up or would turn up, try the horse then say they can’t afford it! If that’s how they think then they don’t know much about selling horses. I have arranged to go, they have no other interest and an advert they put up half an hour ago has the original price! If they are going to put off a potential buyer (and I am keen!) then they are never going to sell the horse!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Dealers with staff want horses gone before Christmas when people want holidays .
It’s the doldrums for competition horses once new year hits the competition horse markets wakes up .
The hunter dealers have taken profit on horses on the run up to the opening meet so anything left because perhaps it was too green or a little wayward can be bought at keen price .
Private sellers who want to sell before christmas really want rid .
Buyers are busy and don’t want to make the effort so if you can make the effort you’re likely to be able to do a deal .

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Dealers with staff want horses gone before Christmas when people want holidays .
It’s the doldrums for competition horses once new year hits the competition horse markets wakes up .
The hunter dealers have taken profit on horses on the run up to the opening meet so anything left because perhaps it was too green or a little wayward can be bought at keen price .
Private sellers who want to sell before christmas really want rid .
Buyers are busy and don’t want to make the effort so if you can make the effort you’re likely to be able to do a deal .

Whereas, in terms of buying, when I was working on producing yards, by far the best week for sales was between Christmas and New year, and the prices of many horses would go up accordingly (not that any of them were openly advertised for a specific price before). So yes, a horse bought before Christmas would often be about £500 less than the same horse bought a week later.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
A horse is worth what someone wants to pay for it. If the horse is still available when you are free to view then tale a look & buy it if it's suitable or walk away if it's not. Don't over think things, you are worrying yourself about stuff that probably isn't true or doesn't matter. As to whether the horse is worth the old price of the new price as it may have gone up a few pounds then does it really matter that much. You offer what you are prepared to pay & are you really going to walk away from the ideal horse because it's a ferw pou8nds more than originally advertised....I would suggest no.

Chuckieee

Visit site
It will be really interesting to see what you think of this horse. I would go along - ignore the comments re price going up. Try then make a decision. If you decide to put in an offer, I would base it on the price as advertised.

I genuinely think people say the daftest things to try and sell a horse but don't let that put you off what could be a dream horse. Good luck.

Kaylum

Visit site
So if you like it and then have it vetted but have to wait a little time for the vetting when the horse is not actually yours will the price go up within that time? Unless the horse is out competing and adding to its competition record rather than being schooled everyday? Also how much is it going up by?

Its their problem if they are paying someone to school it. You put the price on the advert and its there on the advert thats why you are looking at it. They probably do it all the time.