Indestructible tail guard needed!

Serephin

Visit site
It transpires that my boy seems to use his bottom to stabilise himself when travelling. I thought it was just in a trailer, as he is not keen on trailers, but at the weekend we went out in a lorry and he did the same thing.

He was wearing a tail guard which is now shredded. It was a brand new one as well! It saved his tail, just - but if we had travelled for longer I reckon it would have gone straight through.

I'll be going through a tail guard every time we travel at this rate, which is not practical or good for my wallet.

Does anyone know of any tail guards that are reinforced or have a leather protective bit? I can't find anything and I don't want him to damage himself - are some horse just prone to doing this?

Any help, suggestions welcome - thank you in advance!

Capriole

Visit site
Ive got a leather tail guard, no idea where I got it as Ive had it a lot of years. Its pretty sturdy, can see it lasting a good while longer.

Capriole

Visit site
thanks for this - I shall check it out - although looks like it has to be attached to a rug - I was hoping for one that holds itself up, probably the holy grail of tail guards! :)

Use an elastic surcingle as a breast band, thats how the transporters that drop horses off to me seem to use them.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I reckon the leather guard is the most indestructible, otherwise I would suggest using a disposable nappy and vetwrap- that is cheap and will save his tail :)
We use budget nappies as dressings etc - very handy :) The horsey equivalent to duck tape imo.

seoirse

Visit site
We had a really good woofwear one for a pony that did similar, used to put it on with a tail bandage underneath and her tail still ended up looking like a bog brush but at least she still had one at the end of the journey. Will see if I can find one similar for you.

Here it is:
http://www.woofwear.com/for-horses/travel/tail-guard_black.html

Doesn't look that robust but one like this survived about 3 show seasons with our mare who previously wrecked tons of tail guards and bandages!!

hunteress

Visit site
We use a tail bandage under a tail guard. Seems to allow a bit of movement between the two as opposed to wrecking the one + tail.
I agree I alwas use a tail bandage and a tail guard over i have a poly pad one and a polly products one.