Indicators don’t work around horses?? Amused confusion

Molasses

Visit site
I can’t be the only one this happens to

Picture the scenario:
Hacking along a quiet road. Car comes up behind, I pull into a quiet junction to let it past. Car sits behind me. We have a polite–wait-off. Only through squinting through the windscreen reflection can I see the driver pointing that he needs to turn into the little junction I’ve stopped in. Pointing. Through an opaque sheet of glass. Pointing!! Ok so that took 5min, when if he’s used his indicator I’d have know straight away. Why don’t indicators work around horses?

This happens all the time, especially at a little cross roads on some single track roads I hack along. I get to the cross roads, a car comes along and whichever little road I pick to move into to let him go by is inevitably the one the car wants to go down. But they politely tell me by pointing which i often can’t see through the glass.

Do horses posses a magical forcefield inside which car electronics don’t work?
Why is this?

Bernster

Visit site
No it's a phenomenon that occurs at random times, although I thought it was just in my presence ��

Molasses

Visit site
No it's a phenomenon that occurs at random times, although I thought it was just in my presence ��

and there I thought it was only me :-D
do you end up in a point-off, where you're pointing and they're pointing and if they only pressed their friggin indicator it would all be solved?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think some cars must cost more if you buy them with indicators :) This would explain why so many don't appear to have usable ones. :D

Tapir

Visit site
This happens to me all of the time. Especially helpful when the sun is shining off their windscreen so you can't actually see them pointing.

However, I was driving to the farm yesterday behind some riders who kindly pulled over to let me past - into the gateway I wanted to turn into. Despite the fact I had my indicator on, they stood there and tried to wave me past. They finally set off and gave me such a scowl. Maybe I should have pointed at them!

Optimissteeq

Visit site
Ah - at least you had a 'pointy' motorist :) The one i met yesterday was clearly trying to communicate with me via telepathy, or at least I thought that was why they were staring intently at me, when I pulled over.... Sadly I think my riding hat blocked the signal.... :)

Pippity

Visit site
I had a moment the other day where a rider pulled in to let me pass, but I was going to be turning into the next gate, about 5 metres along, so I didn't want to pass. I had my indicators on, but she was too busy trying to get her horse's mane on one side to notice, so I ended up passing and then turning in front of her. I'm sure she complained about me back at her yard!

Cowpony

Visit site
I'm actually very comforted by the fact that others find windscreens impossible to see through from horseback. When I did my BHS R&RS the advice was always to make eye contact with the driver behind you....but I could never see the driver, let alone his eyes! I always thought it must be me, and others could clearly make eye contact no problem.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Ha ha, you want to come and live in Greater Manchester. Mirrors and indicators are simply there for decoration and are rarely actually put to use, and certainly not in conjunction with each other. Lane discipline whether on straight roads or roundabouts is non-existant so you don't even get a clue from that. Its hardly surprising though, considering the stunts I have seen driving instructors pull!

Burnttoast

Visit site
I think I've spend every hack since I got back on board in February ranting about this very thing. Don't they think we might find it useful to know where they're going?! It just confirms to me that they don't see riders as road users. Never had the pointing though - that boggles the mind totally! Though I must admit I've done it to people (mostly cyclists, naturally) when I've been driving in a desperate attempt to find out what the hell they're planning next...

Tern

Visit site
Goooood OP, did you not know that we are mind readers?! Us horsey people are able to work out where they are turning on a roundabout AND where they want to go so others never have to use signals!

Ponycarrots

Visit site
No one seems to indicate round where I live. Nothing pees me off more than waiting at a roundabout and some **** turns left but doesn't signal. Why is it so hard, can someone please tell me? Pressing a little lever down or up is that hard to you?!

Rosie'smum

Visit site
Ive also had it where, on my horse, ive indicated right and a car just over takes me! Ive had that quite a lot.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think some cars must cost more if you buy them with indicators :) This would explain why so many don't appear to have usable ones. :D

Ah, no it's the ones that don't flash that are on the expensive cars - it's because they are special telepathic ones :)

gembear

Visit site
This happens to me all of the time. Especially helpful when the sun is shining off their windscreen so you can't actually see them pointing.

However, I was driving to the farm yesterday behind some riders who kindly pulled over to let me past - into the gateway I wanted to turn into. Despite the fact I had my indicator on, they stood there and tried to wave me past. They finally set off and gave me such a scowl. Maybe I should have pointed at them!

A different situation, but I was behind two ponies on a country road coming to a blind bend (high bushes on either side). I hack on that road myself so I know what it can be like. I was staying behind them giving them plenty of room, waiting to go around the bend before looking to overtake. The girl at the back kept on signalling me to over take them on the bend. I kept ignoring it... all while I had some impatient taxi driver up my rear. I waited till we got round the bend and put my window down as I passed and politely told her I wouldn't dare overtake them on that bend because there was another one just after it and I know how fast and dangerous the road can be (also mentioned I was a rider myself). Tbf she just politely smiled and said okay.

Not surprisingly, just after I overtook them another car came speeding around the next bend ahead towards us.

Neither of them had any high viz on to boot.