Indicators - they are really handy

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
.....for communicating you're intended direction of travel to anyone on the road who isn't telepathic :rolleyes:

Horse and I are not stood in the driveway to the golf club (prior to the very narrow, downhill stretch of road), like a pair of morkins because we are absorbed by the sight of your shiny white bmw 1 series (#getarealcar)....if you indicate then I will know that you want to go into the golf club. Though I suppose just turning and driving at my horse is another way to go about it.

I find myself trying to second guess people driving into and out of that golf club at least once a month - must be something about people who play golf.

Ok, rant over. I apologise in advance for anyone reading who plays golf, drives a bmw 1 series, or doesn't use their indicators, who may have become offended.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am convinced that on many cars, BMWs included, those little orange flashing lights are optional extras, which can only be added to the car at great cost.

So many drivers just don't bother with them.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have another theory. It is a well known fact that pedestrians, horse riders and any other non motorised traffic are telepathic and therefore you do not need to signal your intended direction. At least that's how it seems in London from a variety of car drivers.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes I think you're right....there is a universal belief that someone trying to cross a side road wouldn't find it in any way useful to know that you're about to turn down that street.

Cowpony

Visit site
BMWs have infra-red indicators which only really clever people (ie other BMW drivers) can see. If you can't see them you clearly aren't clever enough to survive. I'm sure they view it as a form of natural selection.

little_critter

Visit site
I get the same issue. All the lanes round here are single track, so sometimes when I reach a T junction and there is a car behind me I will turn the way the car is NOT going just to get out of their way. I often have to mime to them “are you going this way?, or that way?” because they seem to forget indicators are a useful piece of kit.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I get the same issue. All the lanes round here are single track, so sometimes when I reach a T junction and there is a car behind me I will turn the way the car is NOT going just to get out of their way. I often have to mime to them “are you going this way?, or that way?” because they seem to forget indicators are a useful piece of kit.
I was just going to post a similar reply. I'm left with my arms windmilling trying to get them to give me a clue, grr. Are you turning left or turning right, please let me know and I'll get out of your way.

Bernster

Visit site
I find they are particularly useful in my horsebox, to let people know they should try to speed past me quickly and block the lane, whilst I’m trying to change lanes ��

zaminda

Visit site
Didn't you know only car drivers understand them, and therefore if anyone is there not behind the wheel of a car they are pointless?!! That's how it seems round me anyway!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You have to realize that these drivers are very busy people, too busy to take lessons & a driving test so they get someone else to take it for them! Once you realize this everything they do is perfectly understandable.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I was just going to post a similar reply. I'm left with my arms windmilling trying to get them to give me a clue, grr. Are you turning left or turning right, please let me know and I'll get out of your way.

Oh I know me too - and then sometime in response to my gesturing question they'll indicate with their hand from inside the car...???!!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The pointing in the car really gets me, as it’s usually in light conditions/at an angle that I can’t actually see them through the windscreen then get cross when I look at them blankly. Seemed to be more common when leading - we had a left turn junction to get the the field, after that turn there was too much bend in the road to overtake safely so we would move out the way for turning traffic to go first or in reverse move to the left or right depending on their direction of travel - if indicated by the small flashy lights made for that purpose! I think because I’d ask the question by pointing they’d resound the same!

I do hate the ones that run along a line of LEDs though.