Indoor stables

Goldenstar

Visit site
The barn is having ( needing ) a revamp .
It will have three stables in a row ATM you walk through one to get to one of the others we want to change this .
In these sort of corridor stables how wide does the walk way need to be I want to keep the stables as big as I can .
What do those of you with stables like this have ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've seen one with the doors on the slant, that way you can get away with a much narrower corridor. I'd be happy with a metre if the doors were slanted. It was on here, perhaps someone will remember the thread.

Asha

Visit site
Mines 1.9m wide, its just wide enough. Doors open ok.

the biggest issue if you go any smaller would be leading horses past those in the stable already, they may be able to reach and bite the bums.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Mines 1.9m wide, its just wide enough. Doors open ok.

the biggest issue if you go any smaller would be leading horses past those in the stable already, they may be able to reach and bite the bums.

That's not an issue they would not dare muck about like that when people are around

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I saw the ones with the doors on the slant too, it was such a great idea, no more banged hips! Also, if the doors are on the slant then they are somewhat set back from the passageway reducing the biteability of passing bottoms.

It was the well known poster whose name currently escapes me, with the motorbike on her avatar. I contacted her once about a possible summer visit from Jay Man as she had a retirement type yard down south. I would have trusted her with my horse, and that says a lot.

There was a photo on one of her posts when they were redeveloping the yard to be a competition type facility.

ozpoz

Visit site
I have made one huge corner stable, which allows a helpful extra angle to be put in. My walkway runs along the wall, so not central, and the other two boxes are slightly rectangular,( but still spacious) to accommodate this.

joosie

Visit site
Highly rate sliding doors for indoor stables. They don't take up any aisle space, and you don't have open doors to negotiate as you lead horses up and down.

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
Another vote for sliding doors here, worth their weight in gold when you're trying to get wheelbarrows past :) regulations in this country for minimum passage width is 1.5 meters up to 1.85 meters for a horse 17 hands high or more. I doubt the regulations are the same in England but at least that's a guideline!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My corridor is about 5 foot wide. We have wide doors so you have to swing them right back if you need to get a horse past but it's fine. As it's not TOO narrow I can squish my 2 through it together without any problem.

View

Visit site
I saw the ones with the doors on the slant too, it was such a great idea, no more banged hips! Also, if the doors are on the slant then they are somewhat set back from the passageway reducing the biteability of passing bottoms.

It was the well known poster whose name currently escapes me, with the motorbike on her avatar. I contacted her once about a possible summer visit from Jay Man as she had a retirement type yard down south. I would have trusted her with my horse, and that says a lot.

There was a photo on one of her posts when they were redeveloping the yard to be a competition type facility.

I think the member you are referring to is _gg_

Goldenstar

Visit site

That's really kind of you , ycbm thank you very much .
And thank you all for your thoughts and keep them coming .
I am really happy to hear five feet is enough we can get five feet and have decent sized stables .
I have been away today looking at field shelters , openfronted buildings for cars and stuff, garages and work shops .
I also looked at a American barn with the stables built on standard 12 by 12 petitioning these are just too small for most of my horses .
My plan is for two large boxes and one smaller and a washing /grooming area , the small stable is because Tatts is really calmer in a smaller space and I found when he was in plaster a very small internal stable can be a god send .
Thanks again more ideas please .