Indulgent horsey purchase, but so worth it ? - haynet filler

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've been after one of these for a while, maybe a year or so, but they have been out of stock at the wholesalers. I clicked 'buy' as soon as the email alert came in that they were available again. I've tried all the usual tips and tricks and hooks for haynet filling, but this gizmo rocks! It's easy peasy in use. That's an XL haynet.

04554BC4-2BFF-4F90-8D14-70959240974F.jpeg

9B31139E-26B8-4E12-A56B-E0F5AC81EB3A.jpeg

The cat joins in as usual ?

EB346198-07A2-4BEF-8B20-F19D6084B269.jpeg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I thought you meant something that would actually put the hay in the nets! I was getting excited:oops:. We don't use haynets but measure out the hay in old feed sacks, which are much stiffer than Haynets, so you device wouldn't be helpful to me:(. Enjoy your new purchase!

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
When I was a kid we used to just use an empty feed bin in the same way. Getting a really big hay net out of the bin after filling it could be a bit of a challenge though!

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve been looking at something like this as like @milliepops, if I never had to fill a haynet again I’d be a happy person! Is it a faff to get the haynet onto it? That’s been the only thing putting me off…

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’ve been looking at something like this as like @milliepops, if I never had to fill a haynet again I’d be a happy person! Is it a faff to get the haynet onto it? That’s been the only thing putting me off…
It's not faffy in use. Some gadgets are more hassle than they're worth, aren't they, but not this one.

It's easy to set up the empty haynet on the prongs, you don't have to be too precise, then the hay goes straight in without any mess and it's quick to unhook the filled net and lift it out.

OH did make me a diy version yonks ago, but it was rather fiddly, so I gave up on it.

Nicnac

Visit site
OH made one - a wheelie bin with four prongs. It works really well with the big nets although he's 6'4" so finds it far easier to lift them out than I do so I get him to do my hay nets! Win win and free :p

Horseysheepy

Visit site
Sometimes it's good to invest in something that makes a tedious job far more easier and quicker. Filling haynets is a pita!!

Being Stubbs, it'll last a lifetime.

I'd love one! I use round bales and I can picture myself rolling the hay off the bale and just folding it into the open net. Absolute bliss!.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The guy I work for made one out of wood. I thought it quite exciting before I tried it, but in truth it’s just all wrong, they really need to be circular. I’d love to try one of these out as I too HATE haynets and I’m winter I go through a good 15 a day.

Burnttoast

Visit site
My haynet filler is really fancy - two rope insulators screwed to the hayshed door, also used for hanging frequently used brushes etc. I hook the haynet onto them and use one hand to hold it open and the other to drop sections in. Only works with small bales though - would be a faff if I was pulling hay off a big bale. It makes life so much easier.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah i have big rounds so it does need to be something portable. i am tempted by the OPs one!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Wheelbarrow handles make excellent haynet fillers.
You must have perfected a better technique than me with the wheelbarrow handles ?. Not that that would be difficult. I've been doing the wheelbarrow handle thing rather badly for the last few years.

The swear box hasn't had a single addition since I christened the indulgent purchase ?.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
You must have perfected a better technique than me with the wheelbarrow handles ?. Not that that would be difficult. I've been doing the wheelbarrow handle thing rather badly for the last few years.

The swear box hasn't had a single addition since I christened the indulgent purchase ?.

I have just recently converted 2 yard friends who had never even contemplated the use of the wheelbarrow!

Flame_

Visit site
We used to have one of them at work and I never used it. It took longer to hook the haynet to it and unhook it again than just to hold it and fill it. I can't believe that price, although I did spend ££s on a haybar only to go back to nets after about a week.