Indy Training Update - Jumping Progress!

Scarlett

Visit site
So... after my last post about Indy and our efforts to try and improve his flatwork we had a bit of a breakthrough after his second acupuncture session on his neck. The treatment didn't fix whatever was going on there but it did give us an opportunity to push the flatwork - with the help of a Myler correction bit that looked like a torture implement - and in turn help his jumping. He's stronger, more rideable and making a better shape, we've also worked on steadying everything up so theres no more rushing and throwing himself at stuff, he can pop fences in trot happily, and instead of jumping each fence individually he seems to understand that theres another one and is beginning to feel like he's taking me to a fence instead of backing off. It's very much been about making the right thing easy for him and offering it all up in small chunks for him to take in slowly.

Previously - Sept/Oct last year - I had a couple of falls when he stopped, he was struggling with what was being asked and at that point I realised we had never jumped a round without a stop. My instructor took him out and we saw improvements but the flatwork issue with his acceptance of the contact was definitley getting in the way, hence our decision to concentrate on flatwork for a while. It's been a real balancing act trying to use one to help the other but it seems to be working, albeit slowly at times.

Anyway.. the time to jump again was definitley upon us and a couple of jumping lessons at home showed we were ready. to venture out in public. We went along to Merrist Wood tonight for the clear rounds night. We've been before and always started with the tiny class but work commitments meant we'd get there later then usual and go straight into class 2 (70-80cm) which I was hoping would be ok. The smaller class has been great for introducing him to courses but realistically as a 16.2TB he was more than capable of trotting over anything in the 2nd class too so I booked us in to do 2 rounds one after the other and headed for the warm up. I did have a minor moment after seeing the WH style brush fillered oxer at the end of the course and text my instructor, I was reminded that he had actually xc schooled and that I should sit up and kick :)

The warm up was a cause for much excitement. He had been tricky on his last visit here but we believe had been uncomfortable that night as he was desperate to wee when he got home (hindsight, eh?) and had been tense. This time he was just a bit ignorant and he hid behind my leg whilst threatening to be naughty. He also took a dislike to the grey horses in the arena. A walk, trot and canter on each rein was enough to have him settle, and then it was our turn to jump.

A brief glimpse of his improved flatwork in the warm up...
DSC05349_zps5ca2864e.jpg

But most of it looked like this... tense pony!
DSC05345_zps7b393eca.jpg

I showed him the unfamiliar brush fence when we went it. He tried to eat the brush. I guessed then it wouldnt be too much of an issue. :)

His first round was a surprise, my wobbly backwards horse was gone and I have something a bit stronger and straighter. We rolled 2 poles stupidly from me having too much contact and getting in his way, BUT he jumped everything without hesitation, inc the brush fence which he gave a foot of space. He looked at stuff on the approach, but I dont think stopping even crossed his mind. Clever boy!

The second round was better. I didn't push for canter all the way, it felt a bit too much like chasing him which would be the exact opposite of the point we were trying to make. If he landed in canter and took me then great, when we wobbled trot was fine. The fences with the fillers were jumped from canter this time and he jumped well. My stirrups were too long after the warm up - ride long, live long :) - and I'm annoyed now I didn't put them up to jump. Lesson learned for next time.

Anyway, happy happy days. Had I had more money on me I would have given the bigger class a go as the course was simple and on good distances, but typically I didn't. Hopefully we'll give it a go next time. We need more warm up practise too, I fear I may have to go dressaging just to get him out and give him some warm up miles on the clock. I want to event this horse, sorry, I WILL event this horse, we just need to keep going.

I know for many of you trundling around a 70-80cm course is nothing special, but tonight felt like progress - and that's a good feeling to have!

Link to pro pics - scroll back (left) from there....
http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/c.../events/334144_111305/browse/299/?w=800&h=468

And a video of the second round....

Love this pic taken by OH.
DSC05353_zpsd6b2baa4.jpg

:) :) :)

MadisonBelle

Visit site
WOO all sounds like it is going inthe right direction...... Didn't see vid but the 1st (well I guess it is the last) pro piccie is fab!!!!!

Well done! Unwards ad upwards!!

daveismycat

Visit site
Lovely report, you guys did great!

Very inspiring for me with my very wobbly baby TB - our first public jumping outing will (weather dependant) be in a few weeks. I'm terrified at the prospect of 60cm- the shame!!!!

Do keep the reports coming. :)

Scarlett

Visit site
WOO all sounds like it is going inthe right direction...... Didn't see vid but the 1st (well I guess it is the last) pro piccie is fab!!!!!

Well done! Unwards ad upwards!!

Thank you...! :)

Watched your round last night, the grey he didn't like was one of ours :D

He jumped nice and improved a lot by the second round, well done :)

Apologies for our dismal warm up routine, it wasn't the right night for a 'discussion' but everywhere I turned I was in your greys way..! I think the improvement between the rounds was more me than him but I'm pleased with him none the less.

Lovely report, you guys did great!

Very inspiring for me with my very wobbly baby TB - our first public jumping outing will (weather dependant) be in a few weeks. I'm terrified at the prospect of 60cm- the shame!!!!

Do keep the reports coming. :)

Good luck for your jumping debut! Wobbly, baby TB's are the best. I've seen your pics before and I doubt you have anything to worry about. 60cm is nothing, you'll be flying round that and asking for them to go up in no time. Sit up, leg on and smile :)

Ahh he's lovely :)

Thank you - I think so too but I am biased! :)

Scarlett

Visit site
Just a quick note to those who enquired by PM about the comment on the Myler we used to help the flatwork. It was a ported snaffle with hooks that very specifically helped show him how to lift the base of his neck and use muscles he hadn't been using - one of the missing pieces in his flatwork puzzle - and that we only used 3 times in total inbetween sessions in his own normal snaffle to help him. It was a very specific bit in a specific circumstance after his acupuncture but nothing more than a snaffle as he's not at all strong, just a bit green and in need of a helping hand. It wasn't a combination bit or anything like that and it hasn't magically 'fixed' him, just pointed him in the right direction and he's back in his normal snaffle and working better then ever :)

star

Visit site
Video looks great - really calm and sensible - not phased at all. And about a million percent better than the majority I saw there last night - had my hands over my eyes for a lot of the rounds! Screaming at your ex-racer while your friend shouts at it from the gallery whilst galloping flat out at the fences is not a technique I'd recommend! Got there just as they put course up for the 80-90cm which they kept mostly at 80cm and thank god as it caused carnage! They then walloped it up to 1m for my class and I finally jumped at 9.30pm. Eugh - remind me why we do this!

TarrSteps

Visit site
And certainly not a 'torture implement' ;)

It's actually my bit and it's to produce a very specific effect. It's smooth barreled, double jointed and in fact a very mild bit, just one with a targeted action. In fact Myler makes a range of similar bits - so long as you get the right bit for the job, it can be a very direct, easy way to explain a change to a horse in retraining. Then, ideally, the horse moves back into his competition bridle with the new skill and continues to work in a way that develops the correct physique and even more improvement. It's not a fix, more of a tool, most useful for horses that have developed a habitually incorrect way of going.

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Apologies for our dismal warm up routine, it wasn't the right night for a 'discussion' but everywhere I turned I was in your greys way..! I think the improvement between the rounds was more me than him but I'm pleased with him none the less.

Haha dont worry it was my friend riding and was his first time out with her, he can be a bit opinionated :rolleyes:

Well done :) was a very nice round!