Indys reschooling story and a training update... is there dressage in our future? :)

Scarlett

Visit site
So, it's Feb 2013. I had hoped that, by this point, I'd be posting up SJ reports, or clinics, or maybe even just a wee bit of dressage. But sadly no, we are still slogging away at home chasing those magical 'Eureka!' moments that make bring on green horses seem like a good idea.

For those who don't know him Indy is my 7yo ex-racer, I found him through a HHO member who worked in the racing yard he was trained at. He'd had some issues, physical and behavioural, which had ultimately manifested themselves with him inverting, cocking his head to the right and not stopping. He also had some rather random swellings on his legs. He hurt and he was angry with it all, which is totally against his rather lazy and willing nature. It took a while to get him to take a deep breath, he had his shoes off, time off, time turned away and then a very, very specific new training plan for him to embark on when he came back into work, everything designed around making him stonger and sounder.

Initially we had this... You can see the head twist and tension. You could barely touch his face or take any contact at all.
416823_10151317995370254_273313696_n.jpg

430648_10151317993310254_1815658766_n.jpg

432143_10151317990650254_1673189897_n.jpg

The aim then became totally centred around getting him straight, stretching to the contact and moving off the leg... His head carriage didn't matter, but it did matter that he was obedient. We must have walked and trotted for hours at a time, moving him round the school and teaching him that the leg means forward.

575067_10151503725280254_1052651276_n.jpg

538784_10151503725710254_271745071_n.jpg

The tension in his poll was always evident, even with physio treatment to help it. However as he became more forward he got straighter and stronger. Then he started to stretch in the trot...
149410_10151765849335254_1431975750_n.jpg

His whole body shape was changing, we finally started seeing the bad muscle under his neck go and the good muscle at the top get bigger :)

251883_10151855803210254_1114166839_n.jpg

282206_10151855801650254_335283629_n.jpg

Late summer and the head tilt was still there.... but we had discovered the new and improved canter :)
292453_10152054626530254_782703481_n.jpg

559032_10152054627010254_376163924_n.jpg

431583_10152180040010254_737972834_n.jpg

We have worked our backsides off over winter, most of before Christmas was spent jumping, and a confidence crisis of his meant some time spent with my Instructor riding was needed. The fact was that the issues jumping could be found in his flatwork so more emphasis was put on his acceptance of the contact and leg. He now, once warmed up, take the leg going on as a reason to go forward and seek a contact. A simple, simple thing that so many take for granted, yet something that has taken months for us to truely achieve.

Thankfully now he is stronger, straighter and sounder - which is what flatwork is for, right? We recently had acupuncture to his neck which gave an immediate positive response and allowed us to gain more softness and flexibility in his neck, his second session is tomorrow and hopefully this will allow us more improvement. We are at the point now where we probably can't progress too much further without dealing with the physical component once and for all. We also can't progress much further until I make some changes to my riding but thats a whole other story ;)

This weekend we had this...
261353_10152567378930254_587229400_n.jpg

485147_10152567378545254_2001381997_n.jpg

... and him dozing in the sun.
857548_10152566264435254_1963007458_o.jpg

Ok, so he's still no Valegro but he wants to be a better horse - thank the Lord for a horse who wants an easy life - and really does try, even when he thinks it's a bad idea. I was always interested in the idea of being able to ride a horse 'sound' and that flatwork should be gymnastics/yoga for horses, but now I feel the benefits of it every time I sit on him. It's taken a while and I'm sure a better rider would be out and about by now but the learning curve has been huge and it's been a pretty damn awesome journey til now so we'll get there in our own sweet time.

My aim now is to continue as we are, do more jumping, consolidate the little lateral work we can do, introduce more lateral moves, then build him up until he is even more consistant in the contact and that we can change the frame he is ridden in.

One last pic... My Trainer says never to let him trick me into accepting he cant give me an uphill canter :)
60763_10152567396655254_832153119_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
He is utterly gorgeous, and I can hardly tell he's the same horse as the one in the first photos. He is a credit to you and all that hard work, you must be very proud of him :D I love a pretty chestnut, I'm always grumping at Al that if she ever gts another ex-racer it needs to be orange (and called Hugo, but apparently that's just being too fussy?).

hest

Visit site
What a great job you are doing with your gorgeous boy! You are a testament to patience. Out of curiosity which tack and bit combo works best for him? I noticed a range in those pics!

Lol Lolo - my sister has an orange pony for her girls called Hugo. And a Hugo he is (if you know what I mean :D)

Charem

Visit site
Wow what a difference! No wonder you're so proud of him. I look forward to reading your report of his first party when the time come :)

I love a pretty chestnut, I'm always grumping at Al that if she ever gts another ex-racer it needs to be orange (and called Hugo, but apparently that's just being too fussy?).

I think all race horses should have people names, I looked after one called Dave a while back :D

Scarlett

Visit site
He is utterly gorgeous, and I can hardly tell he's the same horse as the one in the first photos. He is a credit to you and all that hard work, you must be very proud of him :D I love a pretty chestnut, I'm always grumping at Al that if she ever gts another ex-racer it needs to be orange (and called Hugo, but apparently that's just being too fussy?).

Thanks :) My mare (who looks like your sisters little grey) is in foal to a chestnut stallion and Hugo is on my list of names if it's a chestnut colt!

Thanks for the comments folks. Heres hoping we get the chance to do many happy competition and training reports over this year...! ;)

Ilovefoals

Visit site
Wow, what a great report and what a difference in him. Well done for trying to understand him and help him with his problems. He's lovely!

Scarlett

Visit site
What a great job you are doing with your gorgeous boy! You are a testament to patience. Out of curiosity which tack and bit combo works best for him? I noticed a range in those pics!

Lol Lolo - my sister has an orange pony for her girls called Hugo. And a Hugo he is (if you know what I mean :D)

He's now in a NS Demi-Anky, the single joint, and a normal cavesson. He doesn't like stuff on his face so I had to take the drop and grackle I tried off, he just got tense. A lozenge bit had too much play. He went well in the Micklem, it helped disguise the crookedness, and we used it bitless for a while to help get him going forward, but I felt that if we are trying to deal with his physical issue we need to have him in a plain cavesson or no noseband to know if it is really working.

Lolo

Visit site
I think all race horses should have people names, I looked after one called Dave a while back :D

Thank you :D Someone agrees with me! (we sound like a prep school outing at events, as all our charges have human names, including the dogs!)

hest

Visit site
He's now in a NS Demi-Anky, the single joint, and a normal cavesson. He doesn't like stuff on his face so I had to take the drop and grackle I tried off, he just got tense. A lozenge bit had too much play. He went well in the Micklem, it helped disguise the crookedness, and we used it bitless for a while to help get him going forward, but I felt that if we are trying to deal with his physical issue we need to have him in a plain cavesson or no noseband to know if it is really working.

Interesting - thank you!

Lolo

Visit site
Thanks :) My mare (who looks like your sisters little grey) is in foal to a chestnut stallion and Hugo is on my list of names if it's a chestnut colt!

Thanks for the comments folks. Heres hoping we get the chance to do many happy competition and training reports over this year...! ;)

If this happens and he's a chestnut colt called Hugo, I might actually have to steal him!

I think I may need to start a 'little grey TB' clique- you, Al and jesstickle all have matching ones. They'd make a slightly trippy teamchase team :D

Scarlett

Visit site
That is an impressive improvement, well done! Do you know what is causing his head twist or is it just one of those things?

My vet has mentioned a few possibilities inc arthritis, however you can feel a lump on the ligament/muscle at the top of the neck and the acupuncture really did help release that so we will continue down that route before we start xraying or anything more serious. It is getting better which keeps us hopeful. Thanks :)

Scarlett

Visit site
If this happens and he's a chestnut colt called Hugo, I might actually have to steal him!

I think I may need to start a 'little grey TB' clique- you, Al and jesstickle all have matching ones. They'd make a slightly trippy teamchase team :D

If it's got half the attitude of it's dam you can have it!! :)

You have no idea how awesome that team would be! I'm so in.... though I might need a hipflask to see me through! :D

seabsicuit2

Visit site
That's an incredible transformation, he 's such a lovely horse!

Do you think that micklem bridles disguise things?

Re; the neck- you have to try this amazing osteopath I use, he has done legendary work with a neck that didn't bend properly and was rigid and fixed- physios couldn't release it under sedation, but one treatment with this Osteo and the neck was flexing beautifully both ways and the muscles all suddenly looked as tho they were in the right place!

I am so envious that you have TS nearby to help you!

Scarlett

Visit site
That's an incredible transformation, he 's such a lovely horse!

Do you think that micklem bridles disguise things?

Re; the neck- you have to try this amazing osteopath I use, he has done legendary work with a neck that didn't bend properly and was rigid and fixed- physios couldn't release it under sedation, but one treatment with this Osteo and the neck was flexing beautifully both ways and the muscles all suddenly looked as tho they were in the right place!

I am so envious that you have TS nearby to help you!

I think the Micklem disguised things with Indy, yes, we can make him feel straighter in it but that doesn't actually solve the issue, hence him returning to a cavesson bridle for now. It works a treat on Rascal, however. Courses for horses and all that...!

I'm sure there are times TS wishes she wasn't so close ;) but yes, very fortunate to have her assistance.

All suggestions of therapists greatfully recieved, can I get the details of your Bowen lady too, just incase? :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
T

You use Larry, don't you? I bought his book and had a really interesting chat with him at Olympia. In fact you have just reminded me I wanted to get back in touch with a few questions for him.:)

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I haven't tried Larry, It was Stuart McGregor. He fixed the rigid neck, and also in another horse he found a damaged nerve in the nose, which had been causing so much contact/ straightness issues. It was this tiny pin prick point in the face muscles . After treatment thd horse was so lovely in the contact and straight.
All the therapists I've used in the past have done very good work, but Stuart is just in a league of his own.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Sorry, my mistake! Somehow I thought you'd used Larry, perhaps for W.
Very interesting, thanks! I will add him to my list of useful people.

Scarlett

Visit site
I haven't tried Larry, It was Stuart McGregor. He fixed the rigid neck, and also in another horse he found a damaged nerve in the nose, which had been causing so much contact/ straightness issues. It was this tiny pin prick point in the face muscles . After treatment thd horse was so lovely in the contact and straight.
All the therapists I've used in the past have done very good work, but Stuart is just in a league of his own.

Thanks - I'll look him up :)

lex2501

Visit site
What a fantastic journey you guys have been through! The transformation is a credit to you and your patience, he is a very lucky chap to have ended up with you as a Mummy :) I look forward to hearing more :)