Inexplicable horse behaviour ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I put hay/haylage in barred off corners in a barn where the horses live overnight in winter.

I put a circle of straw in the barn which I call the pee magnet, where they will always pee, keeping the barn dry.

The horses pull stuff out of the bars, and if I leave it they will pee on it and ruin the track I might want to ride on in bad weather. They won't eat it.

If I pick it up and and move it to the pee magnet, which has already been peed in, they eat it!

Go figure ?

Do yours do completely inexplicable things?

smolmaus

Visit site
TB tipping half her bucket of very expensive feed on the floor and fussily picking it up (but still wasting far too much for my liking) just eat it out of your bucket horse!!
So many of the horses on the yard do this and it drives me absolutely batty.

Shitting in the corner feeder is one I will never understand

meleeka

Visit site
TB tipping half her bucket of very expensive feed on the floor and fussily picking it up (but still wasting far too much for my liking) just eat it out of your bucket horse!!

Yep one of mine does this too and has even been known to leave what’s left in the bucket to go and hoover up someone else’s (exactly the same) leftovers.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Yep one of mine does this too and has even been known to leave what’s left in the bucket to go and hoover up someone else’s (exactly the same) leftovers.
The feed is always sweeter from someone else's bucket. Even if they end up stealing the unmolassed chaff from one of the fatties, that they'd turn their nose up at in disgust if it was presented in their bucket. ??

Mule

Visit site
Another one mine does is come in to the stable specifically to pee when I've mucked out and put in nice fresh bedding. He waits for me to finish the bedding, stares at me, marches in to the stable, pees while staring then marches out again :D

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Spooked at a bike (static, just leant on a wall with the child holding it) I can’t remember when he last saw a bike. He reared and my shoulder is wrecked.

My warmblood always pooed in his water, every night. He would destroy anything left in his stable.

meleeka

Visit site
Another one mine does is come in to the stable specifically to pee when I've mucked out and put in nice fresh bedding. He waits for me to finish the bedding, stares at me, marches in to the stable, pees while staring then marches out again :D

you’ve just reminded me! My big mare will walk from the field just to have a poo in the stable. She also wees in the same place in the field. I think in her mind she’s being terribly tidy and polite. The wee patch is quite near the hay and it stinks!

asmp

Visit site
Our spotty one does this so we have a large bucket with straw in it to whisk under him to save the bed a bit.

Brownmare

Visit site
Oh so many things! Retired gelding was and still is a hay hoover but when he used to be stabled any hay that fell to the floor from his haynet was untouchable. If I mucked out while he was still in the stable he would eat the very same hay out of the wheelbarrow from in amongst the poo etc. Same horse now lives out and is fed tied up in a shed with a stone manger. He insists on taking huge mouthfuls then turning his head to dribble all his food onto the floor where he can't reach it.
Fussy mare is ridiculously particular about what she will eat, but when staying away managed to nick a bucket of fatty chaff from the horse next door and crammed it down despite refusing to eat the very same chaff at home even when mixed with tasty grass nuts.
And all 3 of my idiot horses stood still while a bunch of escaped lambs chewed their tails off ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Every day ? why?!

Mine are much the same with hay. Pee on it, refuse to eat it because someone has pee’d on it. So I go scrape it all back up then they try and eat it out of the barrow!