Infected fly bite?

Halfstep

Visit site
My horse has a large, raised lump on his chest that now has started oozing. It looks rather like a spot - if you squeeze it puss and blood comes out. It isn't sore and he's happy for me to prod at it. I'm sure it must be an infected fly bite, can't think what else it could be. I've hibiscrubbed it and covered it with some antiseptic cream. Anything else I should do? Should I try to "pop it"? YUCK GROSS
frown.gif

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
It might be that your ned has impaled himself on something in his field, ie blackthorn, fencing, anything and has now got an infected puncture wound. If it's minor, it will probably clear up with just basic first aid from you, eg keep wound clean and open and keep flies off with a gel wound cover. But keep an eye on it because it could develop into an abscess and it might need to be lanced by your vet. Is your ned up to date on his tetanus? Puncture wounds are heaven for tetanus bugs.

_jetset_

Visit site
Oooo... sounds delicious!!! I love popping things like that
wink.gif

On a more serious note, if it looks like a boil then how about putting some hot water on it and some soap and sugar (my Mum swears by this for boils) to draw it out? If it is not sore then that is great news, as if it was abscessing (if there is such a word) then I am pretty sure he would not be letting you touch it too much.

Another suggestion would be something like Germoline (I swear by the stuff) to act as a good antisceptic!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I was told by my GP many years ago that an abscess is just a boil with multiple "cores". That's a good idea of jetsets to poultice it for an hour or so to draw the gunk out.

Halfstep

Visit site
Well I poulticed it today after riding and then it EXPLODED with white gunge. So hopefully it will now go away. It was like a massive spot, I'm not sure it even was an insect bite tbh. Have cleaned it up with hibiscrub and put some intracite gel on it. Let us pray I never have to deal with something like that again please! I don't do pus.