Info needed on brands please!

Riz

Visit site
I was hoping that some of you may be able to give me some information on brands.

My best mate has a horse that we have always believed to be a Dutch Sports Horse. He is related to It's The Business & came over from Holland as a 3 year old. The thing is that his brand is very faint & hard to work out what it is - It matches up best with the Belgium warmblood brand but he has a Dutch passport - can this happen?? Oh & the other thing - the brand is on the right hand side - we've been told that all brands go on the left.....! What would this mean?!

Any help on this would be greatly received!! Thanks

Halfpass

Visit site
Can't help with the branding but my mare is a Selle Francais pure bred but has a German passport as she was bred in Germany. It confused me at first as it is an Oldebgurge passport. Contacted the passport issuers to query it and it is possible for the horse to be from one country and the passport from another. All depends on what country the horse is in when the passport is issued. Hope this hleps.

Clodagh

Visit site
Can't remember the name of the site but if you google there is a list of all the brands with associated stud book details.

I thought they went on the left, too! Have fun.
crazy.gif

Visit site
My mare is a Belgian Warmblood born 2002 and has Belgian passport, also Dutch with passport born same year on yard too but both have no brand at all? Had Hannoverian previously and he had brand and number. Are all warmbloods branded these days - ?

Bossanova

Visit site
It's not unheard of for brands to be added to put value on a horse- we had one with the Z which turned out to be fake!!

dieseldog

Visit site
It is now illegal to brand horses in Holland so that's why KWPNs from holland aren't branded but British/US ones can be

Does the KWPN brand all horses?
No.The branding of horses is no longer allowed by Dutch law, so Dutch KWPN horses are no longer branded.
The NA/WPN and UKWPN still brand horses. Only horses age 3 and older, presented to a keuring jury and successfully completing a studbook inspection are eligible for branding if the owner so chooses.

Riz

Visit site
Thanks for that all of you - think the next step is to try & find someone to translate parts of this passport, as no closer to working out what breed he really is!!
Thanks again!

tigers_eye

Visit site
Branding was also outlawed in Belgium in 2001/02, so the 2001ers were the last to carry the brand.

Riz - I speak french and dutch, may be able to help? My OH speaks Danish and German amongst other things...