Injection - always painful?

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
My horse is usually brilliant with the vet, absolute saint. He had bloods taken a few months ago and wasn't bothered. Just had his flu booster and he tried to bite the vet administering the injection three times in the very short time it was being done. Is this jab always painful or is it more likely that the vet wasn't as good at giving injections? I can't remember how he was last time he had his flu jab so just wondered if anyone has any thoughts?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse one of mine just stands there and you wouldn't think it hurts at all, whereas the other one behaves as if your trying to kill him, in general it's not meant to be painful but horses tend to move at the wrong time so it makes the procedure that much more difficult, mine has had a sore neck afterwards but I think that's because he tenses so makes the muscle sore.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My Draft mare stood like a rock for all injections. Then came the day that she needed bloods taken and an injection, usual vet did the bloods and asked if the student with her could do the injection. I agreed, as the mare never made a fuss or moved and every-one has to learn some time. the next time the same vet came, minus student, mare was very wary about having an injection. Next time a different vet came out and she stood like a rock again.

Carrottom

Visit site
Only one of my three shows any sign that he feels it. I always do him first so he hasn't picked up any vibes from the others.

tda

Visit site
Most of ours are very good, as are the vets, so it's over before they realise it with no worries.
Just. Had a pony in the vets for a month, had a lot of blood taken and intravenous , so well see how she is when it comes to vac renewal.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I think that's what concerns me, I don't want him to think that all vets are now horrible and untrustworthy!! Hopefully I can avoid that particular vet on any future call outs to avoid potentially creating an issue. I enjoy having a well behaved horse and am very keen to keep that going!

SEL

Visit site
From someone who has to inject themselves regularly sometimes it hurts for no apparent reason! I'm not sure whether the odd needle isn't as sharp as it should be / angle of injection is off / there's a nerve there but I guess horses are no different.

My tetchy mare is easy to inject - she doesn't seem to feel a thing. Big M tho has hide like a buffalo so needs more force and has an absolute meltdown. I need a vet that won't faff around with him.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Interesting SEL, although that doesn't sound nice for you. The vet was quite cautious and didn't fill me with confidence in his approach but it also looked like it was hard for him to get the needle in so wasn't sure what to think and whether it was vet or the actual jab. Maybe a combination! I felt a bit sorry for the vet, I think he'd spent the entire day doing vaccination boosters!

oldie48

Visit site
We had one who as soon as soon as he saw the needle would go so tense it was almost impossible to get a needle into him, however, if I got the vet to be totally prepared so he could just walk in and get it done really quickly, he was fine and barely noticed it!

Chippers1

Visit site
Mine will not let the vet inject in his neck (I was told a vet got a needle stuck there once!) And I've seen him spin and do everything to get a vet off - who unfortunately didn't listen to my instructions - however this time it was done in his chest and he didn't even flinch so I think it would be more remembered pain than being painful at the time for him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had a 6 yr old who had been fine since coming to us as rising 4, then she needed anti-biotics in winter. The weather was cold, the a-bs thick and she objected to the feeling of it going in. We kept her until she was 24 and she objected to every other injection she ever had. One vet could inject her without too much trouble but he always asked for her to wear a bridle, even on the occasion that she had colic.