Injections for Arthritis

loopylucifer

Visit site
for some horses it does. friends pony had them every year/18mths for 6/7 years worked fab for him he has spavin and have knowen a number of other horses which they have worked very well have seen them injected for spavin arthrtic fetlocks and inflamation of coffin joint. however mine had injcetions for spavin and only improved for 6wks the only horse i know which hasn't done well with them! and i have seen a lot injected!

emelia

Visit site
As loopylucifer says it does work for some. My horse has just had three Hyonate injections (one a week) into the blood stream but have not seen a change yet though it is very soon - i think it takes a few weeks but from what I understand for most horses it does help.

Good Luck, feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about arthritis etc as I am going thorugh it all too!!!

Emma

pfarrugia

Visit site
i think it depends what injections you give. there are many out there - I have done alot of research!!! Also depends on the stage of arthritis. If you catch it early enough then yes if you use the right one! One of my boys gets adequan every 6 months - we started at the first signs of stifness when he was about 8 (he's now 12) and it has not progressed to more than just a stiffness (x-rays at the time showed the start of athritis and still do!) and he's now competing PSG still . Hyonate just lubricates the joint from what i've been told by my vet whereas adequan (or cartrophen but I believe this is illegal to use in horses) rebuilds the joint cartiladge(sp?). My vet explained all the options to me and this stuff is great!
Like i said though - not sure it would work if arthritis has progressed.
Good luck

spaniel

Visit site
Ive seen horses come totally sound on the hyloranate (sp) joint injections plus cartrophen I/M. The again Ive seen people spend thousands on these treatments with very little effect. If your insurance will cover the treatment its worth trying it but I wouldnt say there is a guarantee that it will do the trick.

annie02

Visit site
I have had great results with Hyonate IV injections as well as direct injections into the joints with a hyonate/cortz steriod mix. A lot depends on what joint it is and what is causing the problems.

glenruby

Visit site
Yes it does work, but be aware that there are many problems associated with injecting into the synovial capsule. ie. possibility of introducing infection, dry arthritis, damage to synovial membrane cartilage degeneration and of course the side effects that are drug related (as opposed to being related to the site of administration

_jetset_

Visit site
A friend of mine used cartrophen on her old boy and saw some very good results... It was recommended by the vets after he had been on supplements for quite some time and there was no difference.

aran

community.webshots.com
it is totally horse specific - OA therapies work for some and not for others - that is why there are so many different products and combinations on the market as no one solves the issue. It does not depend on the stage of the condition or the joint in question - it is just down to the particular horse.
The biggest problem is that nothing will cure the OA - once cartilage is degraded that is it - you can just help prevent further degeneration and reduce pain. There is a lot of conflicting research on the different products. One of the largest issues is that most products are 'cleared' from the joint in a short space of time. The HA products do though seem to have some good results in some horses (reducing pain and stiffness) as do steroids.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
For Dan he had two lots of steroid injections for bone spavins (arthritis in hocks) and although they improved his way of going it was only short term and not major. Tildren however has made a major difference to him and he has been *touches lots of wood* sound for the last 3 or 4 months (ignoring the week he was lame with bad over reach) which is the longest he has been consistently sound infront AND behind in years and he is moving much freer than he has in years as well. Please note he is rising 13 so not exactly old either!

Nic

Visit site
My boy was diagnosed with arthritis in both front coffin joints in August & was injected at the end of Aug.

He is now totally sound & just about to start competing again.