Injections!!!

Skhosu

Visit site
what on earth can I do to get them into a needleshy horse?
We;re going to try sedalin tomorrow, but he's missed tonights dose as he was so wound up by the time we finished.
First we tried in the neck, and he threatened to go up. Then we tried in the bum( in the lorry, as recommended by the vet so he couldn't go anywhere) and the needle bent beacause he plunged back and forth doing a good piaffe(?) effort and threatened to go up again. Took him a good five minutes to stop, even though by this stage everyone had left the lorry btu me who was holding the rope in case he tried to go up again.
What else can I do? I'm going to ring the vets tomorrow and see what the worst is will happen if we stop the injections, as he was so wound up and stressed. Any other suggestions? He's a 17hh horse btw, and at the moment throws a strop now if we try and stroke his neck.

GTs

Visit site
It is only going through the skin that hurts - but he knows you guys are trying to do something. I would personally take the needle off the syringe, OUT OF HIS STABLE (incase you drop the needle), fuss over him, play with his mane, stick the needle out and put it in with a pat. Do be ready to jump back, if he jumps up at that point at least the needle will be in!

If he is stil wigging out, I would try a twitch, get someone to pat him between the eyes (fairly hard), or just get some one who has given 1,000,000 of them, they will accept no BS.

Skhosu

Visit site
I know it's only the going through, its telling him that! Once he sees it/feels it, even just the needle, that's his head away. I'm hoping if we can get him sedated to do it, that might work, otherwise it might just be a case of sending him to the vets for the duration where they are used to dealing with needleshy horses!
Interestingly enough, he coped with the scope, although heavily sedated to begin with so I think the key may be to sedate him before he gets upset tomorrow morning and just go from there?
What does patting between the eyes do?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
While the lorry is a good idea in theory, I would worry that I might end up with a horse that won't load. How long did you wait for the Sedaline to take effect? It used to take a good 45mins to make the mare I used to share dopey. I assume you have already tried a twitch. Sorry not much help - Good luck, I seem to remember you are having to inject twice a day yikes!!!!

GTs

Visit site
There is a nerve there - it distracts them and buys you time.

You could probably try a smaller needle for most things, that feels more like a fly bite. I would def. hide the syrine and just go with the needle.

But I have to commend your idea of sending him away for it - not only is it much safer for you, in experienced hands it will be less stressful for him.

Skhosu

Visit site
yup. We haven't tried sedalin yet, by the time he got worked up this evening, it was too late. He was ok this morning, reasonably calm but must just have seen us coming.
I'm crossing my fingers the sedalin will work, how much should I give him (I seem to remember it not being what the package says..?)?
I think well try sedalin and the patting tomorrow and if that doesn't work, send him off to vets!

harvgj19

Visit site
We had a horse who got so needle shy we couldn't get near her neck. As GT said, the vet showed us how to take the needle off the syringe (or use an extra one) and hide it in your hand. Walk confidently up to him and pat it into his neck. Then get someone to hold him while you attach the syringe and inject the medicine.

the other thing you can try if there are enough of you, is to get 2 or 3 people to push him up against the wall of his stable with his head right in the corner. this should make it very difficult for him to go up.

Good luck! I know how distressing it is for you as well as him, cos you don't want to do mean things to him!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Sorry can't remember for sure, as about 10yrs ago. 1/3 of a tube seems to ring bells, but can't be sure. Mare was also only a 15.3hh TB, so quite a bit smaller than your boy. I do however remember that we used to have to dose her, then leave her completely quiet, so it took effect. I would call vet to double check doseage.

GTs

Visit site
I would be very careful 'trapping' horses unless they are foals which you can still overpower them. A frightened horse will not think twice about plowing people to get free.

I am not sure what you are injecting but you might be able to use a smaller needle, so it feels more like a fly bite than anything. If you are injecting toothpaster it will not work, or injecting a lot of something you will have to be careful about blowing the needle off the syringe - but for a lot of things it could work.

hussar

Visit site
My needle-shy horse now gets his boosters into his chest - the skin seems thinner there and he doesn't seem to be so aware of what's going on. The vet also uses a metre-long 'driver' so if he does throw a strop the needle is less likely to be tugged out. I also distract him with a feed bucket smeared with treacle - works a treat for shoeing too!

Good luck!

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Yes, I always inject into the chest and have had no problems at all.
Check with your vet but I inject into the fleshy, bosomly part at the base of the chest and they don't murmur.

Always with the needle detached and then add the syringe.

sallyf

Visit site

We get numerous horses in that are difficult to inject and have found that if you put a blindfold on them and then twitch them you dont tend to have a problem.
If they cant see you they tend to be o.k.

Skhosu

Visit site
ok, interesting theory with the dart gun.
We didn't get much of last nights dose in( its injections for a respiratory infection) but sedated him this morning and got most of it in, despite him rearing and throwing a strop.
I think if I blindfolded him he would throw a complete wobbler, he's like that but I'm considering twitching and sedation for tonights dose. Just got 4 more doses to get in him, and an experienced person coming over tonight so fingers crossed he doesn't kill anyone within the next 2 days.
He's already skinned his tongue, lips and gums badly because he is in such distress!

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I always inject into the chest and have had no problems at all.
Check with your vet but I inject into the fleshy, bosomly part at the base of the chest and they don't murmur.

Always with the needle detached and then add the syringe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Concur with this, also my technique as taught to me by my vet, I tend to give the area I am about to inject a good cupped hand slap pre needle, it seems to momentarily deaden the nerves, then get the needle in with a similar action. Never had a problem

GTs

Visit site
The downside to inject in the chest is there is more blood vessels so you have to be slightly more careful.

It is best to inject in the bottom - stand to the opposite side, and inject where the red is.

inject.jpg