Injured AGAIN!

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I am having a really bad year with my horse well and me but somehow that doesnt seem to matter!

So far this year my horse has had the following:
bruised feet due to taking shoes off
splint and sore back
kick to hock
kick to fetlock
spavins

She has been in and out of work all year but basically since June we just havent really got going again cos of the above.

Now we were just getting somewhere, just started cantering in the school, going out for some decent length hacks, due to next set of steroid injections when yesterday came back from hack she trod on a stone and ended up hopping lame on her right hind. Gave her a danilon. Today she is weight bearing but is 4/10 lame and has a swollen pastern and swelling around the fetlock. Not much heat.

vet came out and had a poke about. She reacted to hoof testers at the heel.
she couldnt really diagnose anything but has suggested a very long list of possible diagnoses.

I am so fed up and have no idea what to do next. Part of me is saying just give up and turn her out somewhere til the spring but the other part of me is making me continue.

Shes only 9 and has done nothing due to injuries for the last 3 years. maybe shes just not cut out to work and I should just stick her in foal?!

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Sounds like youve just had bad luck :(

Is she happy being ridden (when shes sound?)

What did you buy her to do? Compete or just general riding?

Personally I wouldnt give up, if shes happy enough.

treacle_beastie

Visit site
Sounds like youve just had bad luck :(

Is she happy being ridden (when shes sound?)

What did you buy her to do? Compete or just general riding?

Personally I wouldnt give up, if shes happy enough.

yeah def bad luck!

Just general riding, hunter trials, jumping etc. Jumping is her favourite discipline. eating is her other! Shes happy as long as theres food!

Nocturnal

Visit site
I've had similar luck for the last 18 months - a long, long list of injuries and illnesses, so I know how you feel... I just carry on in the hope that things will improve! Chin up, you'll get there in the end :)

Sianage

Visit site
Ahh why do we have horses eh?! Hehe!

The swelling on her fetlock might just be a temporary tenosynovitis where she has jarred her leg stepping on a stone... Give her a few days and she might be fine :)

Also, please think very carefully about putting her in foal... If she has a sore back and arthritis then carrying the extra weight of a foal might not help these.

Good luck! :)

jojane

Visit site
I can really relate to how your feeling :(
Sounds like my year to,seemd to be one thing after another for my boy,sore back,swollen tendon,found out he has arthritis in front n back legs,bruised hoof,BUT i tel myself everyday things could be worse and you cant change whats done..And nearly 5 months on my boys back in work better then eva :)
He still has the off day dont we all but i never thought we would get thru it n we have :)
I worry way more then i need to one bad habbit u take with you after a long line of bad luck..But dont give up :) Nothing seems to fase my boy everytime he gets knockd back he bounces back better then before :) Xx

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I can really relate to how your feeling :(
Sounds like my year to,seemd to be one thing after another for my boy,sore back,swollen tendon,found out he has arthritis in front n back legs,bruised hoof,BUT i tel myself everyday things could be worse and you cant change whats done..And nearly 5 months on my boys back in work better then eva :)
He still has the off day dont we all but i never thought we would get thru it n we have :)
I worry way more then i need to one bad habbit u take with you after a long line of bad luck..But dont give up :) Nothing seems to fase my boy everytime he gets knockd back he bounces back better then before :) Xx

thank you for your reply - that really helped! - your year sounds identical. Mine really has been one thing after another - as soon as I get her back into a bit of work something else goes wrong. I have put this episode behind me and am looking forward to next year now though secretly hoping I will be able to ride her xmas eve.

At the moment I am just enjoying letting her rest and I get to spend some rare time with my OH!