Injured horse on weeks trial period

Parrotperson

Visit site
well for what's its worth (and if this really happened) then my fiend was in a v similar situation. Took a horse in loan. It broke its shoulder when they turned it out at livery. The owner (quite rightly) wanted them to play the price for the animal before it was injured. Long story short they ended up paying for it (the owner threatened court) and having it PTS. So well out of pocket.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I cant believe you just appear to be wanting to wash your hands of this poor horse that was injured by your extremely rookie mistake negligence. On the other hand I cannot believe that the owner let you take it on trial, but then we do not know what you might have told the owner about where you were taking her horse to and what your basic knowledge of horse keeping is. Luckily my last horse came to me on 2 weeks trial- I wrapped him in cotton wool and watched his every move, I did not enjoy the 2 weeks trial I was too damned nervous he might injure himself whilst in my care.

I am really interested to know why you have decided you want the horse sent back when you have not even given it the chance to recover and then actually trial it? Why would the owner be happy to take back an injured horse, if scarred or long term issues he/she will now be worth considerably less than when she was selling to you.

I strongly suspect the owner is being 'OK' about it because you have not yet told her you don't want to buy the horse anymore.....things could really change on that front when she realises your true attitude. I see a long and expensive court case ahead for you OP. If it was my horse I would not want it to stay with you anyway to be honest.

Visit site
OP, I am completely shocked by your lack of care to this horse, turning the new horse out with another straight away and not checking the field for potential dangers. If I was the owner I would not be selling my horse to you, I would be expecting you to pay all vets bills and pay for the loss of value but I would not be letting you buy the horse. You clearly don’t have the knowledge to own a horse.

The owner will be “fine” as I bet you haven’t mentioned yet you no longer want to buy the horse. People like you are exactly the reason that most owners won’t allow trials.

I am shocked. Poor poor horse.

Visit site
Not a position I envy! As others have said, you are responsible for getting the horse right as the injury happened with you. It does sound like it is probably just superficial but if I were you I would buy the horse and sort the problem out - it could get very messy otherwise.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I can’t quite believe this thread. You don’t want to pay for her re-hab? But you caused the problem, whether deliberate or not, so you should pay all costs, be it money or time.

OK apart from anything else why wasn't the horse in quarantine?

When I had mine on a week’s trial, he certainly wasn’t allowed to be turned out. He was then kept in til he’d been wormed, that’s a basic, surely?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
You do have to wonder why anyone would need to allow a trial in a red hot selling market, don't you?

That, and you can’t get a true reading of a horse in a short term trial situation. Poor thing will be confused and unsettled, and hardly be performing at its best. And then if it’s returned, it will be another disruption. Seems like a sure way to over complicate a horse purchase.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
You didn’t think to get a contract for the loan. Or insurance. Or to check the fencing in the field. Or to not put it where it couldn’t get chased by another horse. So you are completely responsible for the vets bills - short or long term - that occur in relation to this injury. Plus any loss of value that will most likely happen now the horse has a scar.

If you’re going to get a horse on trial cover your backside and wrap it up in cotton wool. I’d never send a horse on trial. I’ve only ever had one pony on trial (at the owner’s insistence) and we had a contract. I was a nervous wreck for the fortnight.

If I were the owner I’d be taking legal advice if you injured my horse and then tried to squirm out of responsibility like this.

Kaylum

Visit site
Because most yards don't quarantine and because there's very little point in quarantine if other horses leave the yard and come back again without?
Sorry having seen a horse come in with strangles I disagree on that one. Luckily he didn't die but nearly did and went on to be a police horse.

Reactions: Kat

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sorry having seen a horse come in with strangles I disagree on that one. Luckily he didn't die but nearly did and went on to be a police horse.

So did no horse leave the yard and then come back again without being quarantined? And if they did, why quarantine a new horse and not those?

I fully support strangles testing before new horses come onto a yard. The dangerous ones are asymptomatic carriers who will pass quarantine anyway. Nobody sensible would let a horse with a snotty nose or cough join a yard. It's the asymptomatic ones that need worrying about.

Kaylum

Visit site
So did no horse leave the yard and then come back again without being quarantined? And if they did, why quarantine a new horse and not those?

I fully support strangles testing before new horses come onto a yard. The dangerous ones are asymptomatic carriers who will pass quarantine anyway. Nobody sensible would let a horse with a snotty nose or cough join a yard. It's the asymptomatic ones that need worrying about.
Showed no symptoms and 20 years ago there wasn't much testing. Also very few strangles test these days.

Winters100

Visit site
Ah!! It was half term last week wasn't it? ............................... OP a nut case kid??

Actually makes sense, because in a previous thread OP claimed to be an experienced owner.... I can't really imagine anyone who had been around horses for anything but the briefest moment turning a horse they did not own out with horses it did not know in a field with barbed wire!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Actually makes sense, because in a previous thread OP claimed to be an experienced owner.... I can't really imagine anyone who had been around horses for anything but the briefest moment turning a horse they did not own out with horses it did not know in a field with barbed wire!!

Your faith in people is greater than mine :p