Injury to extensor carpi radialis (LUMP ABOVE THE KNEE!!)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with damage to the above tendon- at least I think its that one from looking at pics....?

My horse got tangled in a wire fence about 6 weeks ago, had 6 internal and 8 external stitches and the wound has healed up perfectly. It was almost exactly between his elbow and his knee on the inside of the foreleg from front to back...

he was back in gentle work for 2 weeks when he developed a golf-ball sized lump on his forearm exactly level with the front edge of the former cut.

Turns out after ultrasound scan yesterday the internal scar tissue has interfered with the above tendon and damaged it. Horse is only very slightly lame and completely unbothered by me poking at it.

Vet has advised continuing gentle work on flat surfaces, avoid running about in the field, and massaging with deep heat or equivalent to try and break down the scar tissue which is surrounding the tendon.
Vet unsure as to a) time required to continue this gentle work and b) whether lump will ever go down.

Given said horse's penchant for getting tangled in fences a potential show career is out the window anyway but would be interested to hear of other similar injuries and recovery times if anyone has any (good or bad!!)

Sunshine

Visit site
We have an old part TB who was kicked on both front legs, fractured splint on one and damaged extensor tendon sheath on the other way back in 1996. Vet at the time recommended total box rest for 6 months, but after 2 months he was climbing the walls so we started gentle in hand walks (although nobody told gelding that it was meant to be steady and quiet) and we soon got upto 5 miles every day.

We did the liniment rubs and cold hosing, and the splint cleared up completely but he was left with a lump on the front of other leg where his extensor tendon sheath developed scar tissue. After the first few months of shorter stride and stiffness it never stopped him doing anything he wanted too, although he was crafty enough to try and pretend it hurt if he wasn't in the mood for working. We used to do long distance rides and dressage and he came back sound enough for both. It is still there today and hasn't caused him any lameness since, although he has had numerous other injuries and acquired blemishes.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Thanks Sunshine!
I guess when you hear the word 'tendon' you always fear the worst, though the vet did reassure me that there was no reason why he couldn't come fine again.
He is the clumsiest and most accident prone horse I have ever met so if the lump doesn't go away, it is not the end of the world, he is a wee patchwork of other old scrapes anyway!!
Still keen to hear any one elses experiences to make me feel a bit better, its not been a fun week :-(

RPM

Visit site
Thanks Sunshine!
I guess when you hear the word 'tendon' you always fear the worst, though the vet did reassure me that there was no reason why he couldn't come fine again.
He is the clumsiest and most accident prone horse I have ever met so if the lump doesn't go away, it is not the end of the world, he is a wee patchwork of other old scrapes anyway!!
Still keen to hear any one elses experiences to make me feel a bit better, its not been a fun week :-(

This sounds very similar to a lump of infected scar tissue my Welsh D had as a 5/6 year old (he is now 16). He sustained a puncture wound between us going to see him and him being vetted before we bought him. The vet advised us that the lump that remained would probably not cause him a problem although it was unsightly. So we still bought him.

Three months later, the lump started ousing puss. The horse was not lame (and did not become lame), but a scan showed that the scar tissue forming the lump was riddled with channels of pus. Antibiotics were tried without success and he had an operation to remove the lump. A small section of tendon sheath had to be removed at the same time as it had become infected. The vet told us that if left, this could have been very serious. Luckily, my horse was insured as his vet bill cost more than he had, with an operation under GA and a hospital stay.

He healed up quickly and well, and the leg has never caused him any problems. That knee is still very slightly thicker than the other one but this is not visible to the eye. I only know from putting travel boots on! He has shown successfully at local level and no one has noticed. The operation left no visible scars.

Hope this helps.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Thanks RPM!
I have insurance too but as the original injury occurred within 2 weeks of the policy being taken out I don't think it will cover it :-(

siennamum

Visit site
my mare really busted her extensor a couple of years ago. I put her in a pen in the field and just stopped her redamaging it. I did rest her properly for a month or so, then a month walking then back to fitness and it's completely sorted. I really think it is nothing like as significant as a flexor tendon injury, but it is still a tendon injury and so needs similar management for a full recovery.