Inspired by another post - turnout poll.

bay or chestnut

• Total voters

EllieBeast

Visit site
Righty, Just another nosy poll!
grin.gif

Chex

Visit site
Chex is out for minimum 12 hours a day, usually about 13 hours unless is absolutely chucking it down. If he's in any more his poor legs are so stiff in the morning (he shouldn't be in at all, but ho hum). If I was rich he'd live out 24/7, but with a barn in the field that he could go in if he wanted to.

EllieBeast

Visit site
El is out 24/7, for my horse - the minimum she could stay out and keep her sanity would be about 8 hours. The turned-in hours would have to be during the daytime though. Why do i have such a difficult horse?!

fairhill

Visit site
Our YO turns out during winter, so I'm not sure on exact times - it does depend on weather, but mine are usually out for 9 hours a day. Out of a yard of 30 horses there are currently only 7 that regularly get every day, all day turnout...
I think horses need a minimum of 5 hours TO for fresh air and movement, regardless of whether or not they're getting ridden.

annaellie

Visit site
I would love to have my filly out for 8 hours which we can turn out 12hrs per day but after a couple of hours she at the gate making a nusence of herself even barging at gate to come in once in she happy again.

Tempi

Visit site
i cant really answer the poll as non of it applys to me! Archie goes out everyday from 630am til 4pm, hes then ridden and put to bed. he never has a day in, if the farrier is coming then he gets turned out early morning by me and someone brings him in at lunch time for me.

Bloss goes out at around 630am and comes in around 4pm too, however shes having every other day in at the mo as there is no grass in her field and its starting to get muddy. If shes in she will be exercised, even if its raining as i dont like her getting stiff.

conniegirl

Visit site
All 4 of mine including 2 24yearold ponies are turned out 24/7 at the moment. If one starts loosing weight or getting miserable they will come in at night and out for a minimum of 12 hours

vicm2509

Visit site
Baron is in at night from November to May but only because that is what our yard requires us to do. In the summer he is out 27/7. I turn him out at 7.30am and bring him in at 4.30, he goes in the walker for 30mins and it ridden for 30-60 mins through the week most days.

I would never move him to a yard without turnout as I think it is important for them to interact with other horses for at least a few hours each day.

lillie

lilliedodger.proboards99.com
linx is out 7am until between 3 & 4pm during Dec & from mid Dec when we start winter turnout he will be out from 7am until between 1 & 2pm depending on weather, he doesnt like being out if the weather is horrid & there isnt anything to eat. he will be going out everyday for 5-6 hours depending on when my friend will bring them in. @ our yard we can have 1/2 day turnout everyday or whole day turnout every other day.

we also have access to a concrete pen for when i muck out as well as a floodlit school so i can ride a night or two during the week

pottamus

Visit site
My horse gets a minimum of 12 hours out per day...whatever the weather or day. I would not leave him in all day aswell as night unless he was ill upon vets instructions.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7. I also said horses shouldn't be stabled. Although I mean generally. Obviously stabling may be the best thing for some horses (veterans, those on box rest etc.). Too many people stable for no reason at all other than thats what everyone else does (or even worse, for crubby reasons like they dont like their horse getting dirty....!). My horses have access to the stables from the field so they can come in if the like. I do occassionally stable 1 like if there's a show very early the next day etc. so I admit sometimes I do it for pratical reasons, however this is maybe once a month overnight. I would never bring mine in every single night or ever consider stabling them solidly for more than 12 hours.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
mine is in 24/7 apart from 1 hr a week in a bogg! But he is ok a bit bored but he gets out in a little trunout with his friend once a day for and hr and is ridden every night to keep him sane!!

Allykat

Visit site
Mine are in all the time during the winter due to restricted grazing at my yard grrr. They are out 24/7 during the summer months. I'd like between 10-12 hours a day whether ridden or not.

Im my ideal yeard (ha ha) I will have a huge open stable with a small paddock so they can come and go over night as they please
grin.gif

natz

Visit site
Ape is out from 6.45am until about 5.30pm - when she is always ready and waiting to come in and have her tea!!! Being 23, I think its important that she gets enough turnout to avoid breathing/stiffness problems. But I like to have her in at night so that she can dry off and have some decent hay (not much grass in field!) She actually seems really happy with this routine, and is a happy little girlie, always looks forward to going out, even if its pouring! Good rugs and plenty of food is all she needs!! lol.
Last winter she was on the eventing yard where I work and was stabled 24/7 (yard policy) she took to it alot better than I thought she would, and went on the horsewalker in the morning and sand play pen in the afternoon. She did become quite bargy and very sharp to ride, so im glad she is back home with turnout this year!!! lol

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Carling gets turned out about 10 when I finish work, and then is brought in about 4 when the other girl gets home from school. If the weatehr is bad though I'll either leave them in and muck out round them, or turn them out for a few hours then bring them in. Depends on how bad the weather. Carling doesn't like the cold, wet and windy anyway, and this morning he wouldn't leave his stable casue it was windy lol.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
well I have voted according to winter turnout not summer.

In winter he is turned out at approx 8am by the yard owner and is bought in between 3-4 at the moment which goes later as we get more light (basically YO brings in all horses before dark whilst i'm still at work!) so he basically gets at least 7 hours a day.

In summer it is completely different, I try to give him 24 hour turnout as much as I can but as he lives on fresh air he is brought in during the day a fair bit.