Inspired by "the puppy grew up"

kimberleigh

Visit site
My big lad turns 12months on the 17th so was just looking back at baby pics of him - and comparing them to a couple I took yesterday! I still think of him as a pup, but to look at I can't say he's a baby anymore.

Adore this dog so much

8 weeks
AxNUmeN.jpg

Almost 12months
Z2SH3I9.jpg

kbRpyoG.jpg

BBP

Visit site
Im going to admit my lack of dog knowledge and ask what breed he is? (Prepared to be embarrassed if it should be obvious!)

Without knowing anything about dogs (other than that collie puppies are hard work!) so thinking of him the way I would do a horse, he looks like he has excellent confirmation, so we’ll muscled and athletic looking. What a handsome dog, I can see why you are proud of him.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Im going to admit my lack of dog knowledge and ask what breed he is? (Prepared to be embarrassed if it should be obvious!)

Without knowing anything about dogs (other than that collie puppies are hard work!) so thinking of him the way I would do a horse, he looks like he has excellent confirmation, so we’ll muscled and athletic looking. What a handsome dog, I can see why you are proud of him.

Thank you!! No reason to be embarassed at all either - it isnt an easy guess!

He is a Bandog (basically a type rather than a breed) or more simply a functional Mastiff. He is made up of 3/4 Presa Canario, 1/4 Bully Kutta.

He is a fantastic lad, incredible around those he lives with and intolerant of anyone else (a bit like me 😂). Excellent around dogs, horses, and livestock.

Better conformation than I dared hope for and exceptionally athletic for a dog his size - he is now standing at 29" and weighing around 60kg! Not a clue what he will weigh at maturity but he shouldn't have more than an inch of height left in him.

I love him very much 😍

kimberleigh

Visit site

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's quite funny because the first pic you're like hmm what is that, some sort of chunky wrinkly lab cross....

oh no most definitely not!

kimberleigh

Visit site
Hmm, all but one are a piece of cake. Puss cat, first puppy picture on the left, has proved occasionally....challenging!

Life would be boring if there weren't occasional challenges haha

It's quite funny because the first pic you're like hmm what is that, some sort of chunky wrinkly lab cross....

oh no most definitely not!

Haha yes in his puppy photos he could be almost anything, and even now very few people would guess his actual genetic make-up - probably myself included if I didn't know!

That is a seriously stunning dog and if i met him on a dark night i would probably poop myself
I'm a bit rubbish with breeds but i thought Cane Corso x Great Dane,
His conformation is quite something , i love sleek athletic dogs

Thank you! I am obviously biased as he's mine but I couldn't be happier with him. Its interesting to see how he differs to full siblings as he is from a repeat mating of his parents - the other pups all turned out a fairly mixed bag looks wise, and none look like him! There were something like 16 of them 😮 His litter was small, only 4, and all are similar to him but smaller, less powerfully built and without such a serious temperament.
If I didn't know his breeding then Dane would be high on my list of guesses along with one of the big mastiff breeds like corso/presa etc, so your guess would be a very sensible one!

Clodagh

Visit site
He is very handsome. I used to do some stables up the road and the lady had a mastiff x ridgeback (I think), not dissimilar to yours but 'Drum' was red. If you sat on a chair and Drum sat next to you his head was the same height. I used to walk him for her he was a really lovely dog. Not sure I would have wanted to meet him on a dark night though!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Rottweiler puppies are too cute! One of the yards nearby had two, chocolate, i just wants to steal them!
We first saw them when they were three weeks old and they were too beautiful. They have their tails which they carry over their backs when they are happy (which is most of the time :))

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I thought the OP's dog was a Great Danex too. He really is a lovely looking dog!

The spaniels are gorgeous, although I must admit that I don't think I could cope with their coats!

And funnily enough the Rott on the left of the photos, who looks the fiercer on the bale and can howl like a wolf, on occasion is one of the softest dogs we've ever had. Her sister is the one wrongdoers should be wary of.

kimberleigh

Visit site
I thought the OP's dog was a Great Danex too. He really is a lovely looking dog!

The spaniels are gorgeous, although I must admit that I don't think I could cope with their coats!

And funnily enough the Rott on the left of the photos, who looks the fiercer on the bale and can howl like a wolf, on occasion is one of the softest dogs we've ever had. Her sister is the one wrongdoers should be wary of.

We keep our springer thoroughly trimmed, so she actually collects very little debris...though she is always wet!

I must say I do prefer the shorter coats of my mastiff types though, although they still moult like hell

cbmcts

Visit site
Hi Kimberleigh,

Lovely dogs :)

I have a question (feel free to ignore if you think it's cheeky) but aren't you big dogs on the restricted breeds list as your in Ireland? Do you have issues with the requirement to muzzle and keep on lead in public?

I only ask as my family still live in Dublin and I gave up bringing the dogs - one was a rottie - home with me after Dublin CC get really strict on enforcing the rules...

silv

Visit site
May as well jump on the bandwagon, this is Wallace,
sYoqFC5.jpg

to this

l7ZuO18.jpg

I have no idea of his breeding as he was a rescue, I suspect Corgi/dachshund/pomeranian/terrier, he is cleverest dog I have ever met and can keep up all day with the big dogs half his age.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Hi Kimberleigh,

Lovely dogs :)

I have a question (feel free to ignore if you think it's cheeky) but aren't you big dogs on the restricted breeds list as your in Ireland? Do you have issues with the requirement to muzzle and keep on lead in public?

I only ask as my family still live in Dublin and I gave up bringing the dogs - one was a rottie - home with me after Dublin CC get really strict on enforcing the rules...

Thank you!

Yes technically they would fall into the "bandog type" category and therefore are meant to be on lead and muzzled when in public - but in all honesty they are rarely in public and if so would always be on a lead anyway!

Muzzling seems non existent for any of the breeds on the restricted list and we regularly see all of the breeds on it neither muzzled or on lead (in all parts of the country) so I think its one of those laws which is rarely upheld unless in a specific area which has had issues.

Driving through Dublin the other day and saw a bloke with 2 APBT off lead/unmuzzled just heeling by his side down a busy highstreet. Went for a week away in Wexford and countless rottweilers/gsds/dobermanns/staffordshire bull terriers all off lead and unmuzzled on the beaches.

Another case of a law being a bit pointless imo of it isnt actually upheld, but we do take muzzles with us if we ever take the dogs out in public and wouldnt have them off lead just in case