instincts

catherinemc

New User
Visit site
hi,

Can anyone help, i would like to know about instinctive horse behaviours. Which ones are not necessary for survial but because of domestication ?

PinkFairy

Visit site
fight and flight..? if they are in an open space and confronted with something scary they will run away (flight) and if they are "cornered" they will instinctively fight. They act as a herd, so for example in my riding lessons, when one horse spooks they ALL run together forgetting the riders on board!!! I dont know much else, but i'm not so sure about whether the behaviour is necessary, we are their primary carers due to domestication but they will always retain their instincts - they are herd animals etc. Its why horses don't like being turned out on their own. I am not sure if i have helped at all

catherinemc

New User
Visit site
thanks for you're reply but i understand most of they're natural instincts am really looking for something they may do instinctivley soley because of domestication

4whitesocks

Visit site
my IDxTB will instinctively lie down in his own poo after being washed from head to toe if we're competing the next day.....not sure if that counts though!!!

catherinemc

New User
Visit site
hi, iam looking for something instinctive a domesticated horse may do that they would not otherwise do instinctively if they where still in the wild

PinkFairy

Visit site
ohhhh. when i put a bridle on any horse they all seem to open their mouths or go for the bit as they know its going in their mouth sooner or later. They also sense feeding time because we have domesticated a routine - we have given them a routine so they know when to anticipate feed, and they all go crazy. things like their routine. riding school horses can be a good example - they are used to the words and tones, when one horse is asked to trot the one behind might instinctively start or when they are asked to all trot etc they will do it before you can ask them. any help?

debonhorse

Visit site
How about when I pick my horses feet out, I run my hand down her leg and she automatically lifts her leg. when I go to her back one she already has it up and ready and waiting. I am sure a wild horse wouldnt do this as they dont have their feet cleaned!

PinkFairy

Visit site
well to find the behaviour you are looking for, just think of all the things you do with a domestic horse that you wouldnt with a wild horse...things that you ALWAYS do. Because you find the behaviour in something that is in the routine..? If that makes sense. They have a 6th sense as well i dont know if that also helps.

4whitesocks

Visit site
surely though most of these examples are not a change in instinct but actually learned behaviour? Trying to think of an instinct that is diffrent because they are domesticated but not having much joy....

Skhosu

Visit site
just a suggestion, maybe tell us its for a tutor first? IT is kind of your work, not ours. Although I suppose this one question is quite hard!
They instinctively know a barrel contains food (even if they haven't seen feed bins ever, they just know!)

barkinghorse

Visit site
I would say that due to domestication, a horse will wait at a gate to be brought in.
Instinct tells a domesticated horse that cars wizzing up behind them is not a threat of attack, in the wild i think most horses would bolt.... so on and so forth..

Bess

Visit site
Just looked up instinct in a dictionary - innate impulse; intuition; inborn and usually rigid pattern of behaviour.

Tia

Visit site
The fleeing instinct is far greater in the wild horse versus generations of domesticated horses adapting this instinct to now stand it's ground rather than flee.

The mating instinct is altered greatly between the domesticated horse and the wild horse.........because of geldings! Male horses in domesticity do not have the natural breeding instincts of male (entire) horses in the wild.

Domesticated herd instincts are completely at odds with the herd instincts of wild horses - there is just no comparison here.

Basically the word "instinct" has a very outdated meaning when used in it's primitive form. It is difficult to really use it to describe an animal who has been domesticated for somewhere around 10,000 years unless you accept that instinct can be "learned" over generations. The domesticated horse has evolved into something which bears little resemblance to the wild horses of yesteryear....... there are very few wild horses in the world......but I guess you are actually really asking about feral horses?

Not sure if these are the sorts of things you are really looking for but it really is like comparing apples with oranges - they aren't the same thing.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
ahorse only re acts how you act -- in the wild its wild has intincts to flee to fight to sense danger to smell -- to eat what there to be picky and move from pasture to pasture freely

you ask what it does by instinct being a domesticated horse to one of the wild horse--
-- a wild horse wouldnt come over and smell your hands

a domesticated ---one would curiosity

and beofre you say its a learnt thing not in all cases does one give treats i odnt but a foal out of a new born mum would smell you and not be afriad where ones from the wild are you wouldnt get near them as they leanrt from parents that they wild