Insurance cover when buying/selling

peanut

Visit site
I'm asking all you kind people on behalf of a friend (I'm not selling my horse!).

When people come to try the horse you are selling, where do you stand legally if they fall off? A friend had someone who fell when the horse spooked but fortunately was completely unharmed. He is understandably now concerned about future potential buyers. The horse does not have a reputation for dumping people but can be sharp.

I have no idea where one stands on this. Can one ask potential buyers to take out rider insurance for a day or something? How have others faced this situation please?

be positive

Visit site
Your friends insurance will cover anyone riding with permission, so in this case the person trying could claim if they had been injured but it is highly unlikely they would get a pay out as the seller has not been negligent in any way, riding is a risk sport and if a person viewing horses is in any way vulnerable, ie at risk of losing income if injured then they should have their own personal accident, not riders, cover to cover all eventualities.

I would never ask a person to take out cover as that is almost admitting the horse is potentially dangerous which would be negligence if they were injured, as a seller I would be a little careful who I allow to try a sharp horse and ensure it has been well warmed up when showing any viewers so the worst has been got out of it before they get on.