Insurance Exclusions

Nicnac

Visit site
Posting here as horses compete. Bit of a rant really. Insurance renewal due 30/6/19 and received all paperwork to renew about 10 days ago. Was really happy that the increase for all horses insured was far less than I expected.

Yesterday morning I opened a claim (unspecified until test results back) and in the afternoon received new renewal paperwork which states:

"Excluding all claims in connection with or relating to : The incident reported on 10/6/19"

WTAF? It could be nothing but they've already excluded it (whatever 'it' maybe) from renewal. I know the new exclusion won't affect the claim as it's open for 12 months from yesterday, but crikey talk about kicking somebody when they're already down.

If I don't renew at the end of the month, will they still payout for this claim lodged yesterday?

AandK

Visit site
I expect they will only pay out while you have a policy with them, so if you renew elsewhere at the end of June you won't be able to claim for any vet bills after that date.

chaps89

Visit site
Generally with equine insurance you get a year to claim from when the injury or issue happened/started. Insurers will also place exclusions at renewal only.
So as you are in your renewal window, they are placing the exclusion on now as your 12 month claim period will be up before the policy next renews next year, so the exclusion will kick in from the end of the claiming period.