Insurance for horses....(also, how much...*whispers)

JaneMBE

Visit site
Who do you use?
Mine are covered on the insurance for the business (sort of third party, not individual an dnot for vets etc)
I want to insure Phantom, as he is my duaghters and not riding school. No idea of his worth (well, priceless to me lol) and wouldn't know how much to insure him for.

So, this is a how much post!
laugh.gif
lol.

He is 3 + 4 months, 77.3% Arab, (from the Vlaq stud) just broken and gently hacking, nothing more yet as he won't be schooling etc until next year. Will be used for showing/dressage and whatever else madam wants to do!
I bought him as a yearling for £800.
Also, will probably do Harley too. (Phantoms half bro) He is 100% Arab (Vlaq stud) 3.5 years, unbroken! Will be used for the same. Bought as a yearling for a grand.

Just give some ideas and the best place to go please
smile.gif

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
I currently use pet plan. Do not insure for LOU as I figure it's impossible to get a pay out on anyway I do insure for Vet fees and he is insured for £4K. I pay £25 a month. I used Kbis for my last horse as I know a couple of people who insure with them and they are excellent at paying out.

One thing to bear in mind re value is it can be a pain to increase the value once set - I had an unbroken youngster which I insured for 1k for Vets Fees, when I tried to up it to her real value when broken I had to provide written evidence from Instructors, competition records etc etc was a real pain!

belly

Visit site
I use NFU. Currently ours is insured for £3000.
Includes vets fees, tack, third party and rider insurance for my daughter and anybody else who rides her.Costs me £29 a month.
Fotunately in the 5 years I have owned horses I haven't had to make a claim but friends who have say NFU were very good.

hollibobs

Visit site
I can highly recommend NFU. I have just had to make a claim and I was amazed at how quick and without fuss they sent me the cheque.

A friend of mine also insures with them, she too was very impressed with their speediness in sending out her cheque. Would have no hesitation in recommending them to anybody.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Both of mine are insured with NFU, Dolly for £1500 and Mac £1000. Have only claimed once, that was for the x-rays on Mac's leg, and they paid up with no problems. I think I pay about £50 a month for the pair of them.

belly

Visit site
The more you insure them for the more the insurance price...however on the other hand it would be better to insure for top price as a youngster so as to avoid having to up the value later..as already mentioned it can be a bit of a pain.
I have to say if I lost ours its not the value of her I am bothered about ....its more the vets bills while I ve got her than anything else!
I would have thought yours would be worth at least £2k now but prices are always going up so its hard to say.