insurance for horses on loan

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I have a potential loaner, she seems to think that you can get a type of cover for horses on loan???

as far as im aware its normal insurance you just inform them that the horse is on loan..

i stand to be correct however if anyone knows of any other type of insurance,.. it will be a full loan and he must be fully covered for vets fees and public liabilty etc..

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine is on loan from a charity, I just told my insurers who owned her and it's noted on my certificate of insurance. It's just a bog standard policy :)

Boxers

Visit site
I had one on loan and got insurance for him from PetPlan Equine and just told them he was on loan to me. They didn't want to know the owner's name or anything!

guesstimation

Visit site
Tigger's is normal insurance I rang petplan took off third party as they have that and gave details of where he was and what he's being used for and that was it, no special loan insurance required just the normal

Polos Mum

Visit site
I would recommend you keep your current insurance policy (for which you are the beneficiary) and that your loaner pays you the premiums.
If (god forbid) the worst happened the loaner would receive the horses value and with no horse and a large cheque they might suddenly decide not to hand it over.
Also I would like to be involved in any major veterinary decisions, I would hate to hear after the event that he's been shipped off for colic surgery (personally something I don't believe in).
Finally if I'm paying the premium I know absolutely that he is covered, if the loaner turned out not to be the person you thought they were (sadly lots of examples of this) you don't want them handing you back a lame horse with an apology that they 'forgot' to pay the insurance that month so he's not covered!!

Could she be confusing rider insurance for sharers

melbiswas

Visit site
I have 2 ponies out on loan and I have kept my existing insurance going to ensure they are fully insured.
In theory an unscrupulous loanee could cancel their insurance once they have shown
the owner a certificate ( my loan homes are Not of this ilk)
My loan agreement said the loanee would reimburse me but I have not actually enforced this bit though this would be easy enough to do.
One of the ponies has damaged a suspensory while messing about in the field and I am glad I have avoided any confusion sorting insurance claims as he will be coming back to me for the lengthy rehab involved.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I have one on loan and I arranged for and pay premiums on his insurance. I do think the owner is perhaps too trusting.
Am about to put our pony on loan and for my peace of mind I will keep my policy for her running, and get loaner to cover the cost.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Wotcha OP/Hun! When I put "Bonkers" on loan I kept the insurance in my name coz then (a) I knew it was done and (b) if something did happen then I'd be paid not the loaner. Also the mare I've got on loan at the mo, her owner pays the insurance.

Hope all is OK with you. "Bonkers" is fine; thoroughly mare-pecked, serve him blimmin' well right! :)

Escada2004

Visit site
I have a horse out on loan, i just informed my insurance company who was loaning her and the yard address, they took the loanees bank details, she pays for it, yet if she misses a premium etc i get notifed. Its just a normal insurance policy.